Customer spit on me at drop off

The Jax

It really pains me sharing this story. I not only have been delivering over 20 years but I am also a consultant and develop delivery systems. So I have a lot of experience with deliveries.

I get this delivery in the suburbs going into "the city". The same city they have been having these protests and looting. I am white and went into a predominantly black neighborhood. I went to a mixed high school many years ago and going into black neighborhoods don't bother me and I honestly don't see color. Its just not something I think about when meeting someone or judge.

Anyway, this customer ordered from IHOP and it was a late morning delivery. I got to the door with my typical smile and shpeal. Told them I have some delicious food for them. My typical show production at the door. The app had instructions that said, "cash tip!!!" so after handing them the food they seemed like they wanted to go in and end the interaction. I stopped them for a minute and showed them my phone and said, "Hey I wanted to ask you. I noticed on the app you had instructions that you may be providing a cash tip. Are you doing that in cash today or are you opting out?". Mind you, I have done this countless times for years with no problems so don't comment about how I do things regarding asking for tips (thanks). She replied, "Oh yea. Sorry, we don't tip white people". As shocked as I was she said that, I still have the mentality of how other customers tip more and it all works out in the end. So with that I smiled and said, "Ok thats fine, I respect that. Enjoy your food and have a great day".

I turn around and I am walking away and I hear her clear her throat like she is trying to bring up some phlegm then I heard her spit and I felt a little flick on my back and I felt a went spot. I immediately turned around, grabbed my shirt, and tried to spin it around to check. I then confirmed that there was spit on the back of my shirt. Not wanting to create a confrontation, I simply said, "Ok, I am leaving but why did you do that?" and she laughed and said, "Leave now or I am going to tell my brothers in the house you are still here." and she said it in a very disrespectful and entitled tone.

I remained silent and walked back my car, removed my shirt and threw it in on the floor in the back then left. Once I got out of the city, I pulled into a parking lot, popped my trunk, and put on one of my backup shirts. However, I was and still am very upset and angry this whole thing happened.

It really pains me sharing this story. I not only have been delivering over 20 years but I am also a consultant and develop delivery systems. So I have a lot of experience with deliveries.

I get this delivery in the suburbs going into "the city". The same city they have been having these protests and looting. I am white and went into a predominantly black neighborhood. I went to a mixed high school many years ago and going into black neighborhoods don't bother me and I honestly don't see color. Its just not something I think about when meeting someone or judge.

Anyway, this customer ordered from IHOP and it was a late morning delivery. I got to the door with my typical smile and shpeal. Told them I have some delicious food for them. My typical show production at the door. The app had instructions that said, "cash tip!!!" so after handing them the food they seemed like they wanted to go in and end the interaction. I stopped them for a minute and showed them my phone and said, "Hey I wanted to ask you. I noticed on the app you had instructions that you may be providing a cash tip. Are you doing that in cash today or are you opting out?". Mind you, I have done this countless times for years with no problems so don't comment about how I do things regarding asking for tips (thanks). She replied, "Oh yea. Sorry, we don't tip white people". As shocked as I was she said that, I still have the mentality of how other customers tip more and it all works out in the end. So with that I smiled and said, "Ok thats fine, I respect that. Enjoy your food and have a great day".

I turn around and I am walking away and I hear her clear her throat like she is trying to bring up some phlegm then I heard her spit and I felt a little flick on my back and I felt a went spot. I immediately turned around, grabbed my shirt, and tried to spin it around to check. I then confirmed that there was spit on the back of my shirt. Not wanting to create a confrontation, I simply said, "Ok, I am leaving but why did you do that?" and she laughed and said, "Leave now or I am going to tell my brothers in the house you are still here." and she said it in a very disrespectful and entitled tone.

I remained silent and walked back my car, removed my shirt and threw it in on the floor in the back then left. Once I got out of the city, I pulled into a parking lot, popped my trunk, and put on one of my backup shirts. However, I was and still am very upset and angry this whole thing happened.
Did you call Uber eat? Wow . I am so sorry . Disinfect yourself right away .

mbd

If the story is true, then you need to assume the worst in every transaction.
If you are a minority be extra careful and if you are not a minority be extra careful. People are hooked on the Social Media and the news👍

25rides7daysaweek

I would have drove 1/2 block down reported racism to uber then
called the cops..
Sorry but i dont report
or prosecute white people.

dmoney155

Ahh... I was waiting for you to say I went to my trunk and grabbed a flame thrower or equivalent. Kinda like that scene from War Dogs:

I would walk away too, odds were against you, would totally stalk them and do something in the future....revenge is dish best best served cold lol.

tohunt4me

Report them ro Racist.
They will probably LIE.

And HAVE YOU TERMINATED.

OR

BEAT THEM WITH A BASEBALL BAT.
Post automatically merged:

She would be 6 feet under if she tried to spit on my neck.
.ESPECIALLY IN THE COVID -19 ERA.

ATTEMPTED MURDER.

UbaBrah

Unfortunately a lot of people are feeling emboldened by the riots as of late and it's spilling over into overt racism in everyday situations. My gf got called "white b" at the store the other day (again). These people that are dishing this shit out need to reassess their lives immediately and realize they are not acting right. They are disgusting, quite frankly.

One thing I'd never do is pester a customer about a tip, but I'm still sorry this happened to you. Really saddens me to see all this going on. We need to be better than this.

Last edited:

The Jax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never ask for a tip even if it says it in the app. If you didn't confront her it probably would have escalated.Next when delivering food leave at door ring bell and leave.
Bad advice. We aren't out here deliverimg to do customers and the apps a favor by delivering their food for $2 and $3 minus expenses and income tax. Again, I have been delivering over 20 years and develop delivery systems for restaurants large and small. A delivery driver should always inquire on a no tip delivery if the customer is intending to tip at the door or not.

With that said, I believe in my original post, I requested we don't bring this tipping thing up. I am not in the mood to go off topic and get in a pissing match about it being my experience and education on the matter trumps most other OPs. My thesis for my grad degree was on gratituity and the psychology behind it. So, lets stay on topic and if you want to discuss it, make another thread somewhere about it and let me know and I will be happy to engage. Thanks.

islanddriver

Bad advice. We aren't out here deliverimg to do customers and the apps a favor by delivering their food for $2 and $3 minus expenses and income tax. Again, I have been delivering over 20 years and develop delivery systems for restaurants large and small. A delivery driver should always inquire on a no tip delivery if the customer is intending to tip at the door or not.

With that said, I believe in my original post, I requested we don't bring this tipping thing up. I am not in the mood to go off topic and get in a pissing match about it being my experience and education on the matter trumps most other OPs. My thesis for my grad degree was on gratituity and the psychology behind it. So, lets stay on topic and if you want to discuss it, make another thread somewhere about it and let me know and I will be happy to engage. Thanks.
Wrong first rule is never ask a customer for a tip. a tip is a gratuity ( thank you). if you don't want to deliver food for $2 - $3 . then you should look for a new gig. So you did a thesis its based on your it's based on your opinion of the research you did, I'm sure there are hundreds out there that don't believe the same as you do. based on their research .

The Jax

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wrong first rule is never ask a customer for a tip. a tip is a gratuity ( thank you). if you don't want to deliver food for $2 - $3 . then you should look for a new gig. So you did a thesis its based on your it's based on your opinion of the research you did, I'm sure there are hundreds out there that don't believe the same as you do. based on their research .
Great. What is your experience and level of education? Seems you already have a problem with following directions and reading.