Uber Drivers Forum banner

Ct UBER Drivers - do you enforce the Child Car Seat Laws?

8K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  LEAFdriver 
#1 ·
My rating took a hit 2 weeks ago when I told a woman that I did not have a child safety seat in my car and that by law I could not transport her child. Today I picked up a family that was staying in the downtown Bpt Holiday Inn and they had a toddler. I'm not really happy admitting this but they seemed to be foreigners and I really did not want any trouble. So I kept my mouth shut and drove them the 3 miles they needed.

My experiences with the Bridgeport Police is that they are pretty laid back unless they need to make a quota. I've been gambling on this with every U-Turn that I make. Sooner or later I expect a cop - maybe one with young children of his own - will decide to enforce this law.

How do you other drivers deal with the situation? The law itself reads:
Safety Laws in Connecticut

Child Car Seat Laws
Children must ride in a proper child safety seat until they are above 6 years old and and 60 pounds. In addition, infants must ride in a rear-facing seat until they are one years old and 20 pounds.

After a child exceeds these limits, the child must be secured in a booster seat with a lap and shoulder belt, until they outgrow the booster seat.

Failing to follow the child safety seat rules can result in a fine and an order to complete a car seat education class.

See less See more
#2 ·
I absolutely never ever take a child without a car seat or booster.
A lot of drivers must be taking them because I constantly get calls in Hartford without car seats.
I cancel the ride tell them they need car seats report them to Uber and sometimes uber replys with you will never be paired with them again.
Don't forget the insurance issue if you get in an accident the child will not be covered if they're not properly restrained.
BTW your rating can't take a hit if you don't take them for a ride they can rate you if you cancel.

#4 ·
Personally for me.If I was ever in that situation where someone wanted me to put their child in my car,even with a child seat.I would cancel and not deal with the hassle.Not being rude,but I just wouldn't want the aggravation of anything happening.

But it's easy for me to say this.Because I don't count on uber for a living.Everyone else has different circumstances.But at the very least,if you're going to take a ride with children.Always obey the laws.

#6 ·
Wow! That puts a whole new spin on things. If I ever get charged with manslaughter, I would hope that it was because I intentionally did the world a favor.... (or at least thought that I did!)

Welcome to my nightmare..... The road to hell is paved with good intentions!

#9 ·
John, the parent or guardian. It would be impossible to carry enough seats to cover all the proper sizes for each sized kid.

My post, and this thread got me thinking about it. But GrandMa said (Of course) said it was OK as Mom would be buckled in and hold the kid on her lap. But selfish, me thinks. Mom is protected, the kid is an egg being thruwn around the car and we all live with the images of God forbid, the kid gets hurt. I got enough stuff of nightmares. Don't need no mas!

Much less the legal, + looking like the biggest looser trying to make $3 bucks at the risk of a child.

Been thinking about this for years. But if seats in plane, trains, buses car passengers. If they faced the rear, It would save (guesstimating, but scienti-afiacally) half the injuries and fatalities of none operators, drivers, pilots, etc. And be more comfortable. Decelerating is far more an energetic occurence than accelerating.. The seat belt on a planes are a joke. 100+ MPH to stop. In crash minus a less than blink and a half nana-second

#8 ·
Got 1 starred last week by girl who wanted me to pick up her 3 year old at day care without a car seat or booster. Of course didn't tell me that until we were already on the way so had to take the rating hit. It's bull but what can you do, rather take the hit than get a ticket or worse for $3.

#10 ·
I've refused to transport a baby without a seat. But being "outgrows the booster seat" is a subjective judgment I don't enforce that. I've never had kids and can't accurately judge age or whether or not they will fit in a booster seat.

One thing I do insist on is any minor rides in the back and has a seat belt on.

#14 ·
Happened again!
"Mam, do you have a child's car seat?

Instant adversarial, by judging her tone and body language.

"NO" Followed with the usual "the other driver....."

"Mam, I can't take a child with out one..." Argument on who would cancel, etc. Then she does and I bravely drive away.

PITA. I find it angering that a parent discards safety of their child and focus on what ever task at hand.
((expletive losers))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.