1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Cross country drive vehicle recommendation.

Discussion in 'Other' started by jazzapt, Jun 13, 2018.

1. jazzapt

jazzapt

I am planning a two-week, cross-country drive with the family and our dog. Boston-California-Phoenix-Texas-Boston. I am looking for recommendations for a good vehicle to rent.

Was thinking of renting an RV, but all RV rental companies I can see only give you 100 free miles per day and around $0.35 per additional mile. Our trip should be around 7000 miles just getting from once city/state to another. At 14 days that is only 1400 free miles, adding almost $2000 onto the cost of the rental (already around $200 per day).

I was thinking about renting a 12 passenger Ford Transit Van. Spacious with unlimited miles. But I wasn’t sure the seats could be removed and configured in a way for my kids to stretch out and sleep and still have room for the dog/luggage.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Veal66

Veal66

Driving:
    UberX
    How many people, and their ages? how many dogs? How big/small are they all?

With the RV, were you only going to use if for transportation, and stay hotels? Or were you going to use it for lodging too?

With the RV, were you going to do all of your own meals with groceries? Or were you going to eat out?

700 miles per day? Every day, plus sightseeing? Or are you driving one day, then sightseeing the next, etc?

3. jazzapt

jazzapt

2 adults, 2 kids, 1 adult Labrador Retriever (who acts like a kid, don’t they all?)

This is a trip to visit old friends in each city. So we don’t plan on doing much sightseeing (other than pulling over if we drive by something of interest). The main reason I considered an RV is that we will be doing some overnight drives to get to our locations faster.

We do frequent overnight drives to Florida from Boston and back in our minivan, so we are used to it. My wife and I switch off driving while the other one sleeps. But we usually put our luggage in the roof box and the dog in the kennel. So there is plenty of room to stretch out in the back.

However we don’t want to put over 7000 miles on our own vehicle in one shot. And since we won’t have the roof box, and will have the dog, I am trying to find roomier solutions than a renting another mini-van.

If we got an RV we’d probably mainly utilize it for the beds while on the road. During any overnight stops we would either stay with our friends or in a hotel. And while we’d take advantage of a fridge for snacks and sandwiches, I doubt we’d be cooking meals in there. And it would have to be small enough to maneuver (in and out of parking spaces for example) as it would also serve as our regular transportation.

Therefore, because of the price, an RV is probably not the best solution. But I am not sure what would be.

Veal66 likes this.
  4. Veal66

Veal66

Driving:
    UberX
    Hmmm, not sure what the alternative is. Sure you couldn't rent a minivan that comes with a roof rack and then attach your luggage box to it? Then have the dog in the back after removing the 3rd row seat? The kids would still have the middle two. Or perhaps rent a pickup with 4 doors and a full backseat, with a topper over the rear bed. Should be a lot of room for luggage and the dog. I would also compare the expected gas cost of traveling 7000 miles. The mpg on a minivan is likely much better than an RV.
    ~~~~~~
    We did some summer trips in the car when I was a kid. One I remember in particular was the summer of 1983 in an '82 Chevy Impala. My folks, we 3 kids, and my grandmother. Toured the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Little Bighorn, Lake Louise (Canada), Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, other parks and mountains in Colorado. Good times. Dad packed a coleman stove and a cooler and a tent. Probably did motels 2/3 of the time, tent 1/3. Meals were about 5/6 of the time with the cookstove and cooler at a picnic table, the other 1/6 at a restaurant. Got a few groceries every few days. Trunk was absolutely full but it worked. Lots of sight-seeing, but some good reading in the car too. I remember reading the Great Santini. Great book by Pat Conroy, RIP.

Drive2bFree, jazzapt and tmpnick16 like this.
  5. jazzapt

jazzapt

Sounds like the kind of trips I want my kids to experience. My mother liked to take us on drives to new places. But it was always local. Never leaving Massachusetts. I want my kids to remember the road trips. Florida is fun, but I want something different.

I might try the Ford Transit Van. Seems like it'd be roomy enough. I just need to confirm if seats can be removed.

vav.JPG

Veal66 likes this.