1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Critical Mass - Uber Style

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Trebor, May 16, 2017.

1. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Regular protests have not worked in the past. Its time to do something a little more grassroots.

I took the critical mass/idea name from the bicycle movement. Sine it is a movement, I am pretty confident in saying it is not trademarked, but we can call it something else.

All of you have seen the bicycle movement at least once. You know those FREAKIN cyclcists taking up the road, running the red lights, etc. Anyhow, I think its time we do the same. (without the running the red lights part)

On the last Friday of every month at sunset, head to the Uber hotspots in your city/town and keep driving around until other drivers follow you. Drive slow to not waste gas. Turn the app off and let it surge.

Is there a specific cause we are going for?

No. We just want riders to take notice that we are unhappy with Uber. Everyone has their own complaints with Uber. Whether, you want in app tipping, or to see higher rates, you decide. Decorate your car with whatever cause you want. A magnetic sign can easily be taken on and off and wont ruin your paint job if you only leave it on for a few hours at a time.

Who can design a flyer? We need to spread the word to all of the Uber drivers. I understand this will take some time to gain popularity and thats fine. We have all the time in the world since uber is not changing anytime soon.

As you parade the streets with other drivers.. Drivers and Riders will take notice. (P.S. please don't force a paying customer to ride with you)

Houston drivers start at Midtown Park.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Victimado and Lelekm like this.
  2. UsedToBeAPartner

UsedToBeAPartner Well-Known Member

3. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
  4. UsedToBeAPartner

Attached Files:

5. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    I like it! Are we going with 4pm-6pm? You know, in areas like in midtown it gets really busy after 6pm with foot traffic. Of course, no one will notice if a couple of us do not throw up signs on our cars/honk our horns playfully/someone with a loudspeaker starts a chant, etc.

Can you also put the Uber logo upside down on the flyer? Maybe a good way to identify ourselves once we are in midtown (if your able to remove your trade dress still. (not a requirment for participation though).

Also, I was thinking some kind of hashtag like #turnuberupsidedown or something

I cant print up 1600 of these things like the last girl did for the failed protest on Monday, but I can print some of these up and stick them in the porta pottys with some tape at the TNC lot (and knowing it will get taken off come cleaning time). I think they are only cleaned once a day right?

Last edited: May 17, 2017 at 1:05 PM

6. UsedToBeAPartner

We can make the times anything you all like but I think it should be a short period of time that would not greatly affect any drivers income but would inconvenience the rider as much as possible. I think it should be the same time city wide but we would also detail specific area like Downtown 3-5 and Midtown 7-9. I don't drive much later than about 5 so I would need some guidance how you want to go with that.
    Unfortunately (well, fortunate for me) I just got a call from my boss and I will be leaving Houston tomorrow or Friday and will likely be gone for quite a while (2-4 months) so while I can't be of any physical help I can design anything on paper you would like. It you want pretty pictures or a floral background (black and white to keep costs down) let me know. I did have an upside down Uber logo on the flyer at first but I am concerned with trademark laws and would have to have someone advise if that legal or not. I had one upside down at the top and one right side up on the bottom (where the cartoons are).
    The toilets are cleaned everyday usually pretty early. It's very easy to tell if they have been there yet or not!!!
    1600 copies can be done for about $40 so maybe we could take up a collection. These needs to be distributed far and wide and not just at the 2 airport parking lots.
    Let me know what you think.

7. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    1600 copies for $40? That's not bad I was thinking of $160. But I will leave it up to each driver if they want to make copies or not.

Keep it simple, black and white, they will likely get tossed anyways.

Uber drivers have their way of talking and connecting, so the word will spread if enough people see it at the lots. I usually see them cleaning the porta pottys so I will leave them in there once they are done cleaning them to have them up for the max amount of time.

Maybe I'll grab some yard sale signs that people leave out and stab them into the ground outside uber's office's.

That one you have made is good for a nationwide distribution online, but maybe the flyer can be more localized.

Like,

What: Turn Uber Upside Down
    Where: Midtown Park
    When: May 26th

Then the # or something they can google easily for details.

I'll take a picture of the Uber trade dress so its more of a stock photo than anything.

8. UsedToBeAPartner

Staples charges just over $0.02/copy for B&W. Still no reason for any one person to foot the bill. If the link works then you can modify my flyer anyway you like with times and dates. If not, let me know and I can make changes. Lord only knows WTF is going to happen when the new ride-sharing bill goes into effect and Lyft returns to Houston later this year! I know we will all be driving for both services unless one of them steps up and does the right thing by their drivers!

This was the first draft, but you didn't hear it from me!

Attached Files:

9. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Where did you get it from?

Some guy who used to be a partner..

Here is what will happen. Lyft will come in and set rates at 75 cents so those cheap bastards will use lyft.

Then, Uber will lower their price to 70 cents, and so on.

Unless drivers are smart and decide to only log into the app that pays more, which will be hard since uber will be the most popular still among riders and more rides with uber = more money even if uber is less per mile.

For those of us signing up for the airport, we may see less waiting time at the airport for Lyft initially.

Oh, and the gm of Houston mentioned one day in a interview that they want to bring uberpool but Houston regulations did not allow for it. So look forward to uber pool and lyft line coming now that they have regulation they like.

Plus, 20,000 drivers were unable to follow through with the Houston permitting process for superbowl according to the gm of uber Houston, so..yea. Probably gonna have to hang up the keys in a little bit.

10. SkidRow

SkidRow Member

Where in hades is Midtown Park? You mean Bagby Park on Gray?