Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Crimes Against Uber Drivers -Grim Reality

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Old BUF Guy 
#1 ·
12/26/2017 - NEWARK, NEW JERSEY — Who says crime never sleeps?

Police on Monday found the Subaru that had been carjacked on Christmas from an Uber driver. And inside, they found a man catching some shut-eye.

Bishaun Y. Williams, 19, has been charged with receiving stolen property — but not with robbery — after police were called after midnight Monday by a citizen who reported that someone was trying to steal a gray Subaru from the area of Jelliff and Avon avenues on the border of the South and Central wards.

Police said the Subaru was stolen the previous evening at 6:15 from Badger Avenue and West Runyon Street, where an Uber driver was robbed at gunpoint by two men.

The Uber driver had been sent to the location by a woman user of the ride-sharing app, but the two men met him instead, police said. After the driver accepted the pair as passengers, they robbed him of his cash, wallet, cell phone and 2005 Subaru Impreza, police said.

Let’s be extra carful out there......

#4 ·
Carjacking Avoidance
The first step in avoiding an attack is to stay alert at all times and be aware of your environment. Be especially vigilant in the following situations:
• High crime areas
• Lesser traveled roads
• Intersections where you must stop
• Isolated areas in parking lots
• Residential driveways and gates • Traffic jams or congested areas
Learn to avoid these areas and situations if possible. If not, take steps to prevent an attack.
When stopped, use your rear and side view mirrors to stay aware of your surroundings. This increases your safety and makes it more difficult for an attacker to surprise you.

Reactions: Wiseleo and SEAMT
#6 ·
12/26/2017 - NEWARK, NEW JERSEY - Who says crime never sleeps?

Police on Monday found the Subaru that had been carjacked on Christmas from an Uber driver. And inside, they found a man catching some shut-eye.

Bishaun Y. Williams, 19, has been charged with receiving stolen property - but not with robbery - after police were called after midnight Monday by a citizen who reported that someone was trying to steal a gray Subaru from the area of Jelliff and Avon avenues on the border of the South and Central wards.

Police said the Subaru was stolen the previous evening at 6:15 from Badger Avenue and West Runyon Street, where an Uber driver was robbed at gunpoint by two men.

The Uber driver had been sent to the location by a woman user of the ride-sharing app, but the two men met him instead, police said. After the driver accepted the pair as passengers, they robbed him of his cash, wallet, cell phone and 2005 Subaru Impreza, police said.

Let's be extra carful out there......
Have they arrested the woman for the robbery also ?

Need more guns.
Bishaun will be out of prison with his in 6 months to 2 years.

Uber and " Liberals" claim YOU dont need one.
Just hand everything over.
Like open borders . . .

Might as well stop Ubering then.
You mean you HAVENT YET ?

#7 ·
A dash cam could have helped ID the robbers. I’m assuming they weren’t standing at the curb wearing ski masks and carrying their guns openly awaiting pickup.

I was victim to a much less serious offense last week in South Philadelphia. Weather up here had gone up to 75 degrees. I had my window down.

Two pedestrian thugs were walking back and forth in the middle of a residential intersection of two one-way streets having stop signs. They were chatting with friends working on a car parked at one corner. When I thought they finally had decided to walk on, I proceeded from the one stop sign as the two were two-thirds across the street. As I pass behind them, the one guy suddenly turns around and spits at me. A little spray landed on my left cheek. I assume he believed I’d driven too close to him without waiting longer than I already had for them to walk across the street. Obviously, he was looking to make trouble.

I braked a short distance past the intersection to consider what just happened and to wipe my cheek one time. I looked in my rear view window. The guy is gesturing for me to return and fight with him?

First of all, I had on my destination filter because I had to pick up kids from school later that afternoon. Second, I got an UberX ping about five seconds later which I accepted for a pickup around the block (glad they weren’t the new pax:). Third, I’m not going to escalate a situation against outnumbered in a neighborhood from my home. Fourth, it’s on me (pun intended) for not having a dash cam. Afterwards was the first time I began reading up on dash cams.

Next day, I stopped by the police station and told the desk sergeant what happened. As I figured, he said there’s not much by that time they could do for me so I left.

#12 ·
Have they arrested the woman for the robbery also ?

Bishaun will be out of prison with his in 6 months to 2 years.

Uber and " Liberals" claim YOU dont need one.
Just hand everything over.
Like open borders . . .

You mean you HAVENT YET ?
Why do politics have to be brought into everything, i can make so many arguments against this (for ex, if passenger gets in the back seat and sits right behind you with a gun pointed at the back of your head, WTF are you gonna do even if you were carrying?)
There are people of many different backgrounds in this group, if you want to talk right wing politics maybe go over to the fox news forum or something.

#14 ·
The last 2 carjackers in New Orleans who jacked an Uber driver got shot.
Havent heard of an Uber driver getting Car Jacked since.

Odd coincedence.

Yet they robbed and murdered a taxi driver since.

Then 2 days later some clown was murdered in nearby projects.
Hadnt been taxi or uber carjacking or robbery since

#15 ·
During a Carjacking

The foremost concern is your personal safety and the safety of your passengers. If you
are confronted by a carjacker don’t resist. Hand over your keys and step back from the assailant.

Remember: The vehicle can be replaced but a human life cannot.

In most carjacking situations, the attackers are interested only in the vehicle. Try to stay calm. Do not stare at the attacker because this may seem aggressive and cause them to harm you or your passengers.

In most instances, it is probably safest to give up your vehicle.

#16 ·
What will be reported: "Doc T fights off carjacker until pax safely evacuates vehicle and assailant. Doc T loses his life in heroic effort."
Reality: "Doc T drives rideshare and was killed while trying to protect his source of income, his vehicle. His life insurance guarantees his family a comfortable living for the rest of their lives after all debts are paid off."
:(

On a serious note, it's not worth fighting a carjacker. Human life is irreplaceable.

#17 ·
If they want the vehicle, yea give it up.

It they want you to drive somewhere, don't do it.

You will be asked to exit vehicle in a lonely place and shot dead where you stand.
(Some of us maybe even raped)

Crash. Even of it kills both of you.
Just make sure there's at least one car that will see and get help.

#20 · (Edited)
I don't intend to go out helpless if I can, so, yeah, I pak. Twin 9's, 10+1 in my armpits. I have had one ride where I was pretty damn sure I was about to be shot and dumped. I rode that one to the end with one hand on the wheel and the other under my coat, with "Louise" in hand, facing the pax.

One other time, I was taking a break parked on Delaware near Allentown about 8PM. Suddenly I noticed a guy scoping out cars and looking inside them (probably for stuff to steal). He sees me, and makes a beeline across the street right for my door. Before I could start my car and drive off, he is at my window. Knowing I couldn't drive off in time, I had pulled "Rosie" under my coat, facing the driver window. He starts banging on my window, and says "Open your window man, so I'zz can tell youz what I needz". With Rosie facing his way, and while watching his hands, I told him "You don't need Jack Chit from me. Now flick off and go away".

He backed away, turned, and began walking up the street, all while calling me out as a racist Fother Mucker. I watched him in my mirrors until he was at least 10 cars away, and then I got a ping. Reholstered Rosie and went on my next fare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.