1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Creative answers to "do you do this full time?"

Discussion in 'Advice' started by MadTownUberD, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:15 AM.

1. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I'll start:

"Define 'full time'. For some people it's 32 hours per week and for others it's 80+."

"Would you work full time at a job that averages roughly minimum wage with no benefits?" (Their answer will probably be something like: it depends on circumstances, how much I need the money, how much I value a flexible schedule, etc.)

"What did your bartender/waitress say when you asked him/her that question?"

2. mbd

mbd

I just tell them I do certain number of runs , whatever $$$ it brings in.

Listen41, MHR and MadTownUberD like this.
  3. JimKE

JimKE

"No...and I certainly would never recommend that someone attempt to do it to support their family. There simply aren't enough hours in the day for that."

4. Seamus

Seamus

Driving:
    UberX
    I can't do it full time because I'm only allowed to leave the halfway house for a few hours a day.

or

I can only do a few hours at a time because I am on heavy duty meds for an extreme case of schizophrenia and bi-polar disorders. After the meds wear off it gets really ugly, really fast. By the way, do you know what time it is?

or

Between visits to my parole officer, drug counselor, and court appointments I can only do a few hours a week.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 6:46 AM
    HolikDad, Antman69, Ziggy and 21 others like this.
  5. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

“No I just drive until I get laid and then I take the rest of the day off.”

6. Snowblind

Snowblind

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    "No, It’s a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off."
    ;)

7. This is exactly how I answer that question every time--

"No, I just get out here and do this whenever I get a chance before work, after work and on the weekends. I've got (insert reason here based on demographic of the pax-- kid in college/family medical bills/bail money for my brother/etc.), so whatever I can earn doing this gets put toward those bills."

This usually invites more inappropriate personal questions. The trick is to mention my challenges once, then be upbeat and positive about overcoming them. Sure, I have financial challenges, but I'm going to work hard and earn my way through it. Life is always great and I'm always thankful. If I suspect that they're religious, I'll even throw in a "You know, god is so good and doesn't give us anything we can't handle."

If tipping me an extra $5-10 makes them feel better about themselves, then that's the greatest gift I can give them as a driver. They can go about their day basking in the glow of feeling like a good person. It's my tax for asking me an inappropriate question.

8. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I sincerely hope you actually believe that God is good and won't give you something you can't handle. Otherwise that's pretty exploitative.

Listen41 and goneubering like this.
  9. No more exploitative than the passenger trying to get free entertainment out of me and distracting me from doing what I'm actually being paid to do.

Also, there is no god. You wanna get mad at people exploiting others, start with the con men pushing an obviously false idea to weak minded people-- and you're helping them do it. Respectfully.

10. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm not mad. And you're entitled to your opinion, as well as to the freedom to say to your passengers what you wish. I'm just pointing it out for what it is...exploitative. And we're not talking about me or my beliefs; we're talking about you.

Regardless of whether you agree with someone's deeply held beliefs, the fact of the matter is that they have them, and they will act on them.

Respectfully

11. If they attempt exploit me first, I'm entitled to exploit them back to whatever degree I judge to be appropriate.

ETA: If they get in the back, shut up and ride, then they get nothing but a "thank you, have a good day" from me at the end of the trip.

HolikDad, koyotemohn and MadTownUberD like this.
  12. What?!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 11:16 AM
    Christinebitg likes this.
  13. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    My standard line is... "This is a great flexible way to supplement the household income but I could never earn a living doing this."

I've noticed the tips seem to come a little easier after telling them this.

BillC, Antman69, Cary Grant and 7 others like this.
  14. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    That’s very good. I might borrow it!!

Do you really feel a rider asking you a question is being exploitive?

Christinebitg likes this.
  15. Yes, for two reasons.

First, it's a violation of the TOS & Community Guidelines to ask overly personal questions. Before you start defining what "overly personal question" means, let me ask you-- if you asked every passenger that got in your car: "So, do you work in that building? What do you do? Is that your only job? Where else do you work? Do you like it?" How long do you think it would be before you racked up so many complaints against you that you got deactivated? I'd bet it'd happen within 100 rides. The language about overly personal questions in the TOS is identical for drivers and passengers. Yet the passengers exploit the imbalance of power during the ride to violate the TOS (that they freely agreed to abide by) with impunity.

Second, the scope of my contract with Uber or Lyft does not include entertaining the pax. If you think I'm being petty, think about how much free labor we already are expected to donate to the pax (loading groceries, strollers, wheel chairs, off app stops, etc.). We are contractors and we are our own worst enemy when we provide labor that's not explicitly stated in our contract.

koyotemohn and Pusher like this.
  16. x100

x100

Sometimes the non-tipping pax think they compensate by asking questions.

^ If you let their little chit-chat bother you then you need a better game plan. Good jazz music can shut them down and you also got to start the day ready to receive good and not react to the bad. I sense you are inclined to react a bit.

You are also correct with all the extra services at no-pay.

17. It bothers me until I see their tips roll in.

Tips 1.PNG Tips 2.PNG Tips 4.PNG Tips 5.PNG

The point isn't that it bothers me. There's nothing I can do to change it, so I might as well lean into it and make a few bucks. If they want to be entertained, I'll entertain them-- but I'm only doing it so they'll throw some change in my guitar case.

18. kc ub'ing!

kc ub'ing!

In between jobs, doing alright but not buying a boat anytime soon. Yada yada, a new topic soon follows. A lot of folks are super curious. Their intrusive questions don’t bug me at all.

cappybenton, x100 and Gilby like this.
  19. goneubering

goneubering

Driving:
    UberX
    I’ve read some of your other posts so it’s obvious you’re smart. I suggest you expand your horizons. I’ve given over 3000 rides and I ask questions like that almost every day with a 4.9 rating and many great conversations. People who ask questions are just showing common courtesy to you as another human being and looking for a conversation starter. About 95% of my riders ask me questions and then I ask them questions. It makes the time fly by!!

20. Thanks, I think.

Lemme ask you (and this is an honest question)-- are you driving Uber/Lyft for the purpose of making the time fly by? Because I'm not. I'm transporting livestock in exchange for money.

Now, if the livestock want me to moo back and forth with them, then I can oblige. But I need to be compensated for that added service, because .6375/mile and .195/minute doesn't buy my time, driving competency, vehicle, fuel, insurance, permits, etc, etc, etc, AND my charming repartee.

So you do you and I'll do me and we'll both get what we want out of ride share-- or we won't and we'll quit.

koyotemohn likes this.