• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Creating a new rideshare app idea

I'm starting to think what if theres a rideshare app that is created by drivers for drivers.
Im thinking $1/per mile with $0.10/min to suffice traffic problems and $1.50 for platform fee to make sure everything is running properly.. Minimum fares or short trips being a minimum of lets say $4-$5 which will create a desire to want to pick up short and/or long trips. It seems like all the short trips I pick up that pay $2.49 from uber or $3.08 from lyft. Looks like the riders ok with paying $5-$10 to go 1-3 miles down the road. Uber/Lyft usually take $3-$6 and gives me $2.49/$3.08

On a trip that costs the passenger $50. There is literally no reason Uber/Lyft should take more from that trip than they take from a passenger that pays $5 a trip. To me that is simply greed and could be done away with. Im sure theres enough intelligent drivers both on the road and on this forum that could get this app going that is built for us. Of course theres always going to be a Joe Smoe who wants to create an app and be the next Zuckerberg with billions of $, thats where everything goes wrong.

With those price rates it seems like this app would still be cheaper than Uber and Lyft which shouldn't have any problems marketing itself to passengers. A simple word of mouth from all drivers teaching passengers that theres a new app going around that is Cheaper than Lyft and Uber and pays the Driver 90%+ of the fare would actually be really easy. I talk to passengers all the time that are shocked when I say Uber and Lyft take 50%-70% of the fare majority of the time and they even agree thats not fair they should only take 10% or less.

So what do you say? Any great minds in here want to get together?

Last edited:

SEAL Team 5

I'm starting to think what if theres a rideshare app that is created by drivers for drivers.
Im thinking $1/per mile with $0.10/min to suffice traffic problems and $1.50 for platform fee to make sure everything is running properly.. Minimum fares or short trips being a minimum of lets say $4-$5 which will create a desire to want to pick up short and/or long trips. It seems like all the short trips I pick up that pay $2.49 from uber or $3.08 from lyft. Looks like the riders ok with paying $5-$10 to go 1-3 miles down the road. Uber/Lyft usually take $3-$6 and gives me $2.49/$3.08

On a trip that costs the passenger $50. There is literally no reason Uber/Lyft should take more from that trip than they take from a passenger that pays $5 a trip. To me that is simply greed and could be done away with. Im sure theres enough intelligent drivers both on the road and on this forum that could get this app going that is built for us. Of course theres always going to be a Joe Smoe who wants to create an app and be the next Zuckerberg with billions of $, thats where everything goes wrong.

With those price rates it seems like this app would still be cheaper than Uber and Lyft which shouldn't have any problems marketing itself to passengers. A simple word of mouth from all drivers teaching passengers that theres a new app going around that is Cheaper than Lyft and Uber and pays the Driver 90%+ of the fare would actually be really easy. I talk to passengers all the time that are shocked when I say Uber and Lyft take 50%-70% of the fare majority of the time and they even agree thats not fair they should only take 10% or less.

Sounds great. Why don't you research all the regulations in each and every city. Then get some quotes on commercial insurance rates. After that you can work out an advertising budget and include the details of how to secure the market share away from Uber/Lyft. Next you can investigate a how to for an HR department on the hiring process, background check and required taxes for each driver. Now don't forget that most states and even the municipalities within those states have different regulations for hired drivers. After you work on that you can outline the technology that it will require to run such a business. Don't forget to include all facets including troubleshooting as we could never have our customers waiting for a downed app. And finally you can create a business plan that we'll have to provide all the financial institutions when we go and ask for a $500,000,000 loan.

UberBeemer

Your idea sounds like a copy of uber, but with old rates. It's been suggested before. But, build it, and they may come.

Or, throw it a curve. Make it an app where your clients can book rides with you, and you can post to a list of available bookings when you can't take them yourself?

Christinebitg

With those price rates it seems like this app would still be cheaper than Uber and Lyft which shouldn't have any problems marketing itself to passengers.
So let me see if I have this right.

You want to provide the same service as U/L used to do, but with much higher pay rates.

Now, let's factor in that U/L aren't showing a profit. So to turn a profit, you'll have to charge pax quite a bit more for their trips. (Your costs are higher than theirs.)

I know people that'll choose Uber over Lyft, or vice versa, for a buck or two for a given trip. Why do you think you'll get any business?

What am I missing here?

Yulli Yung

You have my approval to begin building and developing this platform. Be sure and keep us all updated as to your progress and when it will be completed. And, we all are interested in where you will get the hundreds of millions of dollars to fund this start up.

mbd

Uber buys out any competition..

dmoney155

You want to provide the same service as U/L used to do, but with much higher pay rates.

Now, let's factor in that U/L aren't showing a profit. So to turn a profit, you'll have to charge pax quite a bit more for their trips. (Your costs are higher than theirs.)

I know people that'll choose Uber over Lyft, or vice versa, for a buck or two for a given trip. Why do you think you'll get any business?

What am I missing here?
Exactly... why would any rider chose your service over the cheaper competition?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your idea sounds like a copy of uber, but with old rates. It's been suggested before. But, build it, and they may come.

Or, throw it a curve. Make it an app where your clients can book rides with you, and you can post to a list of available bookings when you can't take them yourself?
This was actually more on my mind. Take over one county first. I just don’t know how the app will work out if I’m not able to move around the county by myself. More thinking must be done. As for the nay sayers. That’s cool. Everybody says it can’t be done til somebody does it. You really believe Uber and Lyft take loses each quarter? That’s funny to me. Knowing that I read an article their first year of opening they were to quickest company to reach $1 billion in revenue in history. Something doesn’t add up to me

TomTheAnt

Hmmm... I wonder where I've heard about this idea before...?

Oh yeah, now I remember!!! Every week here on UP from new members. :thumbup: As I've told all of them: good luck in your endeavors and keep us updated.

For some reason I don't think we're heard too many updates from any of them, but maybe this time we will...

UberBeemer

This was actually more on my mind. Take over one county first. I just don’t know how the app will work out if I’m not able to move around the county by myself. More thinking must be done. As for the nay sayers. That’s cool. Everybody says it can’t be done til somebody does it. You really believe Uber and Lyft take loses each quarter? That’s funny to me. Knowing that I read an article their first year of opening they were to quickest company to reach $1 billion in revenue in history. Something doesn’t add up to me
They raised that billion from angel investors, mostly. But i think it is conceivable that there is a layered corporate structure that allows one division to eat losses so another can show profit.

SEAL Team 5

You really believe Uber and Lyft take loses each quarter? That’s funny to me. Knowing that I read an article their first year of opening they were to quickest company to reach $1 billion in revenue in history. Something doesn’t add up to me
Well, the U.S. government takes in more than $2.4 trillion in tax revenue each year yet records loses of around $1.6 trillion. It's simple business economics. When costs exceeds revenue you end up with a deficit. Obama was the master of deficit building.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, the U.S. government takes in more than $2.4 trillion in tax revenue each year yet records loses of around $1.6 trillion. It's simple business economics. When costs exceeds revenue you end up with a deficit. Obama was the master of deficit building.
One of the Uber co founders just bought a $73 million house that people are sharing the article. Really doubt they are taking any loses

uberdriverfornow

What am I missing here?
You're missing the fact that Uber and blow billions of dollars on sdc's every year for no reason, do not constantly innovate the app in any way, and treat riders and drivers with contempt, causing high turnover.

If an app came put that did the opposite they would be making millions of profit each year instead.

peteyvavs

What am I missing here?
Uber executives are skimming off the top, look at their salaries, benefits and other perks. Why do think Uber comes up with their hairbrain schemes like scooters, SDCs and flying cars, easiest way to skim when you use distractions. Lyft just boldly steals it outright

Ubermcbc

Uber buys out any competition..
If they become a serious threat. To make a 0.10% dent into guber and gryft business, you still need several hundred million $$$ of your own, family, and vc money.

Why people don't look at it that there are 100s of billionaires worldwide. Corporate and individual. Don't you think they can make their own rideshare apps. In a heartbeat. Is it a problem for Amazon? Or Ford and Toyota? Why don't they do it? Because they are smart people. Do you literally see both these evil corporations making any real profits in the next 5 years. I don't.

Come up with something unique. Copy of similar ridershare concept will never work.

Last edited: