Covid-19 sick pay

scarpent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m feeling great. Today was my 14 day mark after being diagnosed. Yea I definitely can see myself getting more from unemployment than I get from Uber. Hopefully that won’t be such a long process.

scarpent

I got a message from them this morning denying the claim because I have a preexisting condition, even though the letter doesn’t say that. My doctor will have to write a new letter that makes is absolutely clear that I was quarantined because I had Covid-19 and for no other reason. Uber is being very nit picky it seems. I should have assumed they would be.

RioRoja

I should have assumed they would be.
I think I might have it, but my only symptoms besides feeling a bit tired and under the weather are "allergy face" and a persistent headache. Otherwise no fever, chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc.

Even though I'm 57, I'm super healthy and fit and hardly ever get sick, so I'm acutely aware when something is off. I'm not one to panic or get paranoid, so If I don't have Covid-19, I for sure have something, but because I'm not an NBA player, rich or otherwise well connected I can't get a test because my symptoms are mild.

I put myself on the bench a week ago just in case, and I'm still feeling about the same (no better or worse) so at this point I'm thinking that it's probably not worth it to try to squeeze a quarantine letter out of Kaiser if all I get is deactivated but no $ which it sounds like what they're doing to you.

Again thanks for sharing.

Daisey77

I got a message from them this morning denying the claim because I have a preexisting condition, even though the letter doesn’t say that. My doctor will have to write a new letter that makes is absolutely clear that I was quarantined because I had Covid-19 and for no other reason. Uber is being very nit picky it seems. I should have assumed they would be.
How the hell would they know if you have a pre-existing condition? And the criteria to qualify for financial assistance doesn't State anything about pre-existing conditions or even exclusions for that matter. I mean I knew they would go to great lengths to not pay and I don't know why they are still able to shock me but here I am again completely shocked.

I think I might have it, but my only symptoms besides feeling a bit tired and under the weather are "allergy face" and a persistent headache. Otherwise no fever, chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc.

Even though I'm 57, I'm super healthy and fit and hardly ever get sick, so I'm acutely aware when something is off. I'm not one to panic or get paranoid, so If I don't have Covid-19, I for sure have something, but because I'm not an NBA player, rich or otherwise well connected I can't get a test because my symptoms are mild.

I put myself on the bench a week ago just in case, and I'm still feeling about the same (no better or worse) so at this point I'm thinking that it's probably not worth it to try to squeeze a quarantine letter out of Kaiser if all I get is deactivated but no $ which it sounds like what they're doing to you.

Again thanks for sharing.
Did you get tested for influenza? Influenza is still going around and your symptoms almost sound more flu-like.

RioRoja

Did you get tested for influenza? Influenza is still going around and your symptoms almost sound more flu-like.
Nah. I don't have a fever. I've had the what felt like the flu twice as an adult - once in my early 20s and once 10 years ago while on vacation in Mexico. Both times knocked me on my ass with fever and sleep for about three days after which I got better fairly quickly. I'm at about day 8 or 9 with my mild symptoms.

MichaelMax

Be careful what you ask for.
Under normal conditions. If you are getting sick pay , you are not unemployed, therefore of course you cant get UC.
If you are sick, you are not able and available to work, therefore you can not get UC
No idea how the stimulus pkg affects this.
I think U & L just put that sick pay out there for the press & media to make themselves look like they are good guys.
I'd take the weekly UC and the $1200 and maybe the $600 weekly from the Feds. I have my doubts about getting all 3 of thoses though.

Daisey77

Ok. I have my new letter. Let’s see if they deny this one. View attachment 440093
Nice work! Have you sent it in yet? My only concern would be the way he phrased what the first doctor's orders were, "recommended" quarantine. That "recommended" specifically is what concerns me

Under normal conditions. If you are getting sick pay , you are not unemployed, therefore of course you cant get UC.
If you are sick, you are not able and available to work, therefore you can not get UC
I think U & L just put that sick pay out there for the press & media to make themselves look like they are good guys.
I'd take the weekly UC and the $1200 and maybe the $600 weekly from the Feds. I have my doubts about getting all 3 of thoses though.
You need to go read the bill. This bill specifically States gig workers but it also States Coronavirus as a reason we can get unemployment. Clearly they're not following the same procedure, ( sick time/sick pay) or else we wouldn't have needed any other bills signed

Stanley B

I don't agree with most of what you post, but this I do agree with this. No doubt the sick pay BS from Uber was to get press, but wouldn't be surprised at all if that only goes to a handful of NY and CA, and maybe a few Seattle drivers. It remains to be seen what the actual unemployment compensation process looks like. Again, meant to be mostly a smokescreen. My guess is most won''t actually make it through the process. I doubt the gov't buearacrats really realize what pandora's box they just opened with this bill allowing self-employed and gig workers to file for unemployment. Like right now, some states are already encouraging gig workers to file even though they don't have guidance, some like CO are saying wait, some are saying it will take weeks to figure out.

scarpent

I’m hoping the Uber pay will be as a reimbursement for the 14 days I had to stay quarantined plus the extra week uber deactivated me because they didn’t start their 14 days deactivation until a week after I was sick. If that letter fails then I will just let it go. My doctor is way to busy to keep writing me letters for Uber. I doubt they will pay out though. They remind me of how insurance companies would handle big payouts before the ACA went into effect. They would often deny you until you got legal representation.

MichaelMax

And if they got in a position wher they felt they better pay, you'd probably be too sick to jump thru all their hoops, and of course, they would decide how much compensation you would get.
But, I guess they could possibly shock and surprise us.

I did say, under normal conditions. I was in road construction for many years and until I salaried , I got laid off every winter so I learned how UC worked pretty good

Stanley B

I’m hoping the Uber pay will be as a reimbursement for the 14 days I had to stay quarantined plus the extra week uber deactivated me because they didn’t start their 14 days deactivation until a week after I was sick. If that letter fails then I will just let it go. My doctor is way to busy to keep writing me letters for Uber. I doubt they will pay out though. They remind me of how insurance companies would handle big payouts before the ACA went into effect. They would often deny you until you got legal representation.
I hope you get it, I really do. But both Uber and Lyft are such scumbag companies, I don't see them paying anyone in CO for sick pay because it won't get them any press. Like Dara saying we have plenty of cash to get through this crisis, so his stock goes up 30% that day.....yet nothing to help drivers from Uber. They are pure scumbags. And there will be a reckoning coming when all these gig companies are forced to re-classify everyone as employees after the gov't just bailed these "tech companies" out for hundreds of billions of dollars to their "independent contractors" that haven't paid a dime into the unployment system.

UberVanDenver

How did they figure out what to pay you? Was it an average of the last two weeks, last 6 months, and when was the cutoff? Before the whole bar/restaurant shutdown?