court issued a decision late yesterday afternoon denying Uber's motion to dismiss UF pricing lawsuit

arto71

http://markets.businessinsider.com/...egal-Battle-in-Nationwide-Class-Action-541591

NEW YORK, Aug. 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Paul B. Maslo, a Partner at the national litigation firm Napoli Shkolnik PLLC, is representing drivers in a nationwide class-action lawsuit against Uber in federal court in the Northern District of California. Plaintiffs allege that Uber has breached their agreement ever since it instituted upfront pricing in August 2016. Maslo won a significant preliminary victory for Plaintiffs when the court issued a decision late yesterday afternoon denying Uber's motion to dismiss.

Plaintiffs contend that their agreement requires Uber to use the same fare calculation to pay drivers as it uses to charge passengers. But ever since Uber implemented upfront pricing, it has been using one fare calculation with aggressive estimated inputs for time/distance to determine what passengers pay and a completely separate fare calculation performed after the ride using actual inputs to determine drivers' compensation.

According to Maslo, "Because the upfront fare calculation always yields a higher amount, drivers have been getting the short end of the stick. The court's ruling recognizes that the agreement supports drivers' position and allows them to move forward with their case."

UberPrius11

It will most likely go the same way as it always goes, tied up in litigation for years then they will say that they don't admit fault but will pay a huge settlement of like $5 to the drivers and call it even. :oopsies:

Too Many Miles

So what's this mean ?
We have chances to earn more eventually?
This is for the period beginning when they started upfront pricing until they changed the drivers agreement. The new driver's agreement gives Uber a different set of problems because it reinforces the idea that they are a transportation company and not a technology company.

FreakOfNature

I'm torn about this because upfront pricing really stopped pax from backseat driving, now less than 5% ever do. I really don't want it to back to how it use to be. Best case scenario would be to keep that and then pay us the fare minus their percentage.

driveflydrive

http://markets.businessinsider.com/...egal-Battle-in-Nationwide-Class-Action-541591

NEW YORK, Aug. 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Paul B. Maslo, a Partner at the national litigation firm Napoli Shkolnik PLLC, is representing drivers in a nationwide class-action lawsuit against Uber in federal court in the Northern District of California. Plaintiffs allege that Uber has breached their agreement ever since it instituted upfront pricing in August 2016. Maslo won a significant preliminary victory for Plaintiffs when the court issued a decision late yesterday afternoon denying Uber's motion to dismiss.

Plaintiffs contend that their agreement requires Uber to use the same fare calculation to pay drivers as it uses to charge passengers. But ever since Uber implemented upfront pricing, it has been using one fare calculation with aggressive estimated inputs for time/distance to determine what passengers pay and a completely separate fare calculation performed after the ride using actual inputs to determine drivers' compensation.

According to Maslo, "Because the upfront fare calculation always yields a higher amount, drivers have been getting the short end of the stick. The court's ruling recognizes that the agreement supports drivers' position and allows them to move forward with their case."
Thanks arto71. The only remedy at the moment is to longhaul and make sure the extra amount charged is going to you and not uber

UberLaLa

1. Government should consider that this 'Upfront Pricing' scam Uber is running, causes drivers to drive more miles to same destination. Creating extra traffic, emissions and fuel consumption.
  2. Passengers pay for a service that should get them there with the quickest and safest route, but are being over billed for longer, sometimes less safe routes.
  3. Driver's are being bait & switched when Uber has them take a different route than passenger is paying for.

goneubering

This is not true. I've given a few rides where Uber was paid less than they would have gotten under the previous plan. It's a good idea to never say "always". :wink:

LoveBC

Over the past couple weeks I've been tracking Uber fees for my trips. It averages out to less than 25% for me. So in that sense it doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is that when they screw a pax that pax thinks we're getting that much and then less likely to tip.

SorryBluetoothOnly

I'm torn about this because upfront pricing really stopped pax from backseat driving, now less than 5% ever do. I really don't want it to back to how it use to be. Best case scenario would be to keep that and then pay us the fare minus their percentage.

I'm with you. God, that was so annoying. I think people here forget how bad backseat driving used to be (or are too new to remember).

goneubering

Sure, you'll still get *some* every once in a while, but try having *most* be backseat drivers. It's bad for your mental health.

I never experienced it from most. What was their motivation? Did riders think they would save a little money?

Over the past couple weeks I've been tracking Uber fees for my trips. It averages out to less than 25% for me. So in that sense it doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is that when they screw a pax that pax thinks we're getting that much and then less likely to tip.

Under 25%????? That's a shocker that needs to be looked into immediately! :wink:. Do you mostly take long runs?

I have no problem with UF pricing

I have a problem with uber calculating the fare at a 2.5x surge to the pax and paying me base

But is that really happening or is Uber taking advantage of advanced social engineering to charge certain riders more when their smart database and algorithms indicate they have a whale on the hook?

SorryBluetoothOnly

I never experienced it from most. What was their motivation? Did riders think they would save a little money?

Yes. Before up front pricing, your route directly correlated with how much the passenger paid. And if they were paying by the minute and mile, they wanted you to take their preferred route. They would watch and critique every decision you were making.

Now that the passenger's fare is pre-determined, most are able to sit back and relax and not pay attention to what you're doing.

LoveBC

Under 25%????? That's a shocker that needs to be looked into immediately! :wink:. Do you mostly take long runs??

I'm no Adieu but I longhaul where I can justify it. One must get a feel for the pax in the first few min to decide how long of a haul to make. At LAX this is easy since it takes 10 minutes to get out of there.