Couldn't take it anymore, went delivering

Benjamin M

The last time I was on the platform was the 16th.

I'd say about a day before the shit really hit the fan in my state, I knew that Uber X was done for and not worth the risk. Hand sanitizer was becoming scarse, paper products were still available and food options were plentiful in the grocery store.

Applied for unemployment last Sunday. I hadn't heard back and decided that I just could not take it anymore, begging for money from my parents (damn depressing) and waiting, waiting, waiting.

Turned on Eats, first day ever of exclusively doing deliveries - I'd done maybe three before.

If not for the tips (last one was $12.50 and they're still coming in), I honestly wonder how you Eats folks manage sometimes. $3 and some change for 30 minutes with no promise of a tip?

Logged 3 1/2 hours on the app but was out for around 5. So far, total earnings are around $70. Definitely a new strategy for me to learn.

I was hoping to collect unemployment and use the time to stay healthy and return to programming - even had a possible client lined up. As of right now, middle finger from the state.

So, guess old Benny is a delivery driver now. Honestly, it's not that bad! Had fun today. But yeah, apparently there's a virus going around..

Youburr

Yes by text:
Hi got your order, on way to pickup.
Arrived at restaurant.
Restaurant says food is almost ready.
Food is ready Im heading to your location. There was one substitution: chocolate cake instead of carrot cake (they ran out).
I have parked and will be dropping off the food shortly.
Your order is at the doorstep. I will be at the top of the driveway to make sure you receive your order. Thank you for your order, stay safe and healthy.

Benjamin M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes by text:
Arrived at restaurant.
Food is ready Im heading to your location. There was one substitution: chocolate cake instead of carrot cake (they ran out).
I have parked and will be dropping off the food shortly.
Your order is at the doorstep. I will be at the top of the driveway to make sure you receive your order. Thank you for your order, stay safe and healthy.
Ehhh. The $12.50 tip was "here you go, enjoy! Careful, it's heavy, two hands". Tipped well on all but one order so far.

But I'm considering a message assuring that I am keeping my car disinfected and cleaning my hands prior to entering it.

UbaBrah

Right there with you. No shame in keeping busy and working ahead. God knows when any of this unemployment will actually hit. 15 million applications in the last few weeks... I mean, I just don't see that all being processed too quickly. I'm doing deliveries too, to keep my savings intact.

Deliveries are a mixed bag but are okay if you're not overly preoccupied by the numbers. It's good for your sanity, a good service for the public, and at least you're making a few bucks. I just view the lower pay as the trade-off for not having to have some drunk dipshit micromanaging your route.

Never feel down on yourself for giving things a shot. You're a proactive dude, and you want to work. Kudos.

OldBay

Yes by text:

Arrived at restaurant.
Food is ready Im heading to your location. There was a traffic jam. I got stressed a little bit and just ate some of your fries.
I have parked and am enjoying your big mac. The coke really hit the spot too.
Thank you for the food, stay safe and healthy.

Benjamin M

Normal it would annoy me as well outside of getting food. But for some reason it works in the DD/delivery world. It gives a feeling that the driver cares enough to reach out, so he'll treat my food with care and is doing his best to get it to me ASAP. Driver cares 🤗.

You can probably cut the number of text to 2 or 3
Another thing, every single delivery was sealed and staff want minimal contact. Can't really double check things. They know that it's been picked up, can track it, and 99.9% had something like "leave in front of the door".

Good advice for before this stuff, right now people just seem grateful for delivery from restaurants that are otherwise closed.
Post automatically merged:

Yes by text:

Arrived at restaurant.
Food is ready Im heading to your location. There was a traffic jam. I got stressed a little bit and just ate some of your fries.
I have parked and am enjoying your big mac. The coke really hit the spot too.
Thank you for the food, stay safe and healthy.
Traffic?? 😳 Rush hour?!

Damn McDonald's sealed bags, I wanted to grab a fry or two 😂

Right there with you. No shame in keeping busy and working ahead. God knows when any of this unemployment will actually hit. 15 million applications in the last few weeks... I mean, I just don't see that all being processed too quickly. I'm doing deliveries too, to keep my savings intact.

Deliveries are a mixed bag but are okay if you're not overly preoccupied by the numbers. It's good for your sanity, a good service for the public, and at least you're making a few bucks. I just view the lower pay as the trade-off for not having to have some drunk dipshit micromanaging your route.

Never feel down on yourself for giving things a shot. You're a proactive dude, and you want to work. Kudos.
Thanks. I need to be out and doing something.

It just occurred to me that I can listen to whatever I damn well want to. I swear I heard a burger say "umm, I'd take Broad Street instead of the expressway, but whatever", though 🙄

tohunt4me

The last time I was on the platform was the 16th.

I'd say about a day before the shit really hit the fan in my state, I knew that Uber X was done for and not worth the risk. Hand sanitizer was becoming scarse, paper products were still available and food options were plentiful in the grocery store.

Applied for unemployment last Sunday. I hadn't heard back and decided that I just could not take it anymore, begging for money from my parents (damn depressing) and waiting, waiting, waiting.

Turned on Eats, first day ever of exclusively doing deliveries - I'd done maybe three before.

If not for the tips (last one was $12.50 and they're still coming in), I honestly wonder how you Eats folks manage sometimes. $3 and some change for 30 minutes with no promise of a tip?

Logged 3 1/2 hours on the app but was out for around 5. So far, total earnings are around $70. Definitely a new strategy for me to learn.

I was hoping to collect unemployment and use the time to stay healthy and return to programming - even had a possible client lined up. As of right now, middle finger from the state.

So, guess old Benny is a delivery driver now. Honestly, it's not that bad! Had fun today. But yeah, apparently there's a virus going around..
Food NEVER Complains about your driving.
Or music.

Another thing, every single delivery was sealed and staff want minimal contact. Can't really double check things. They know that it's been picked up, can track it, and 99.9% had something like "leave in front of the door".

Good advice for before this stuff, right now people just seem grateful for delivery from restaurants that are otherwise closed.

Traffic?? 😳 Rush hour?!

It just occurred to me that I can listen to whatever I damn well want to. I swear I heard a burger say "umm, I'd take Broad Street instead of the expressway, but whatever", though 🙄
we were told by the Governor to avoid pharmacies & supermarkets for the next 2 weeks.
( guess who Finally got a Day Off to go shoping today ?)
Screenshot_2020-04-06-18-50-20.png

My store was shut down at 7:00 p.m. last night by local government. No prior notice.
We will close at 7:00 p.m. till further notice.

The Ernest P. Morial Convention Center
Is now the
Ernest P. Morial CORONA CENTER.

Wal Mart was a madhouse
Grabbed a buggy out the parking lot.
Figured sun may help kill germs on handle.

No hand sanitizer at door.
Large backpack sprayer labeled " employees only"
I doused handle of cart and got Fussed !
O well. Killed germs.

Last edited:

Benjamin M

Food NEVER Complains about your driving.
Or music.

we were told by the Governor to avoid pharmacies & supermarkets for the next 2 weeks.
( guess who Finally got a Day Off to go shoping today ?) View attachment 443910

My store was shut down at 7:00 p.m. last night by local government. No prior notice.
We will close at 7:00 p.m. till further notice.

The Ernest P. Morial Convention Center
Is now the
Ernest P. Morial CORONA CENTER.
Jesus. Are the National Guard going to be providing food?

Here comes martial law.

tohunt4me

Jesus. Are the National Guard going to be providing food?

Here comes martial law.
Possible it could happen here.

Ever see the military do crowd control ?
6" at a time.
Baby steps. They dont do it all at once.

That is how Martial Law will be implimented.
In Baby Steps.
Gradual . . . erosion . . . of Rights

Thing that worries me MOST.

HURRICANE SEASON STARTS SOON.

WHAT THE HELL WILL WE DO IF ANOTHER KATRINA HITS !?!?!

CORONA IS IN NO HURRY TO LEAVE.

HOW WILL THEY EVACUATE ?
SHELTER ?
HOUSE & FEED.
MASSES . . .
STATE IS BROKE
FED. IS BROKE
PEOPLE ARE BROKE.

June132017

First time trying to get Unemployment. I think they give you $600/week. So if you made $70 won't they only give you $530 instead of $600?

Benjamin M

First time trying to get Unemployment. I think they give you $600/week. So if you made $70 won't they only give you $530 instead of $600?
Haven't earned (driven) since the 16th. Worried about my health. But SOL.

I don't want to be out there. I could be staying safe at home and using this time to better myself, as was the plan.

Restaurants are clinging on by a thread here. This will only last so long.

My number one mistake? Applying when I did. The CARES act was enacted Friday, I applied Sunday. It still isn't ready.

But I'll be out again tomorrow.

I digress. My wife has been reminding me to list at least three positive things. I usually have more.

1. I got out of the house and drove all over. I missed that and it was a beautiful day
  2. I discovered many restaurants that I'd never heard of
  3. Staff was friendly and appreciative, orders were ready to go
  4. I provided a service, something that I have always cared about
  5. Customers tipped well and were thankful for receiving food
  6. I earned money from honest work

Last edited:

sellkatsell44

Traffic?? 😳 Rush hour?!

I’m definitely ok with getting the bag still stapled from the restaurant. I ask for it to be dropped off at the bottom of the steps and go out once the driver drives away—for both our safety, regardless of the amount, I tip $5 minimum but lately more $10-$15.

Immoralized

No need to text or call the customer unless you are lost and can't find their address or it a gated apartment complex and they need to be text or called for them to come out. Everything is shown in real time on the app.

I gave up doing UE because they'll use GPS drop location instead of typing in the address and could be way out! Like in another suburb out. Which is dangerous in itself as they can claim that you didn't deliver to the right address and known scam tactic so be doing a free trip and Uber thinking you stole the rider food. As Uber will deduct the delivery out to 0 dollars.