1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Couldn't Get to Passenger's Exact Location

Discussion in 'Advice' started by tld, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Just started driving with Uber on a college football game weekend. Had a ride request from a person that was in a permit only parking lot. Wasn't allowed into the parking lot so all I could do was sit near the entrance of the parking lot and tap "arrived." I was probably about 300 feet from the rider but they didn't come to my location and cancelled the trip. Uber charged the rider $5 so not a bust for me. But, it makes me concerned about accepting any ride requests from the stadium area after the game is over because people just don't think about the permit only access issue. Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Casuale Haberdasher and Huberis like this.
  2. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    You have a few options.

1) text and say you are at the parking lot entrance but not allowed to enter as not everyone knows this.
    2) just go as close as you can, hit arrived, wait 5 and collect $5
    3) ignore the requests from the stadium.

BramasoleATX and JMBF831 like this.
  3. ATX 22

ATX 22

I will be working my first football home game this coming Saturday. There are numerous areas we won't be able to get to in order to pick-up. I am planning to stage myself as close to the stadium as possible and call or text with my location right after a ping. If they respond and are willing to come to me, I'll be willing to wait a little bit over the 5 minute threshold, if not it's cancel and wait for the next ping. If they don't want to walk 300 feet, then they can't want a ride that bad.
    YMMV, but this is my plan for now.

Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  4. Right, but that was not the problem for me. I travelled several miles from another passenger drop off to get the new rider that was in the stadium parking lot. So when I got there and discovered that they were in the restricted area, which I couldn't tell from the rider's request, I was already out my time and travel costs.

5. ATX 22

ATX 22

Ah, that's definitely a bummer.
    In that case, it's probably best to ignore those pings. Tough to make that call in 15 seconds.

6. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    Did you contact the rider and let them know?

7. JMBF831

JMBF831

Driving:
    UberX
    Did you call them...Did you text them?
    If no, fail on you.
    If yes, then that's all you can do. Wait 5 minutes and collect your $5.

8. Renaldow

Renaldow

Driving:
    UberX
    You should've contacted them to let them know they were somewhere you couldn't get to and that you were waiting right outside that area for them.

Part of our downtown area has streets that are closed after 10p so as to allow drunk millennials the ability to stumble around the streets without fear of being run over. Yes, so many drunk millennials were causing a hazard that the best thing to do was to actually shut down streets. Anyway, so these drunk millennials will call for a ride outside of a bar on a closed street and not understand why they can't get a ride. There are drivers who will walk around there with the phone, get rides, wait 5 and cancel.

9. Yes, I did text them. No response back and then they cancelled. Oh well. I guess my concern was how Uber would look at a situation where you can't get to the passenger's location but you make the best attempt possible. I just didn't want to get totally screwed if I had made the best effort possible. So, if you at least get your portion of the $5 when something like that happens, I guess that is as good as it can be. Thanks for all the responses. Your comments help us new guys a lot!!

ATX 22 likes this.
  10. ATX 22

ATX 22

We have the same thing in Austin. "Dirty 6th" is closed off to vehicle traffic from 10pm to 3am on weekends.
    When I get pinged from inside the closed area, I either try to call (if actively driving) or text (if parked) and let them know I can't drive to their exact location. Sometimes I just cancel the request and don't charge them anything so I don't waste my time on someone I know I can't drive to, in order to get back online for someone whom I might actually be able to find.

11. limepro

limepro

Driving:
    UberXL
    You did all you could and they decided to cancel, everything you did is fine and most people would walk the few hundred feet to get to you and be understanding, can't please everyone.

12. krytenTX

krytenTX

Driving:
    UberX
    ATX22, the pings on Dirty 6th seem to be more and more frequent lately. Several this weekend. I text them once, telling them 6th is closed where they need to be picked up. If they don't respond within 5 minutes, cancel and take the $5 for stupidity. It gets so crazy down there that I've not been in that area at 2AM for the last several weekends. Just not worth it anymore.

13. POST # 1/tldtld: "Ahoy!" and Welcome to
    the UP.Net Forums from
    Sunny, 90's, Blue-skied Marco Island on
    Florida's Wild SSW Coast.

As # 4 Notable, and at the Behest of # 1
    chi1cabbychi1cabby, I feel compelled to quote
    the Following to Preserve YOUR RIGHTS:

"PLEASE read Your Partnership Agree-
    ment. NEW DRIVERS have only 30 Days
    to
    Opt-out of BINDING ARBITRATION!"

https://uberpeople.net/posts/402925

This has been a Driver Service Courtesy
    Announcement by Bostonian Bison.

chi1cabby likes this.
  14. Oscar Levant

Oscar Levant

Driving:
    UberX
    I tell you what I do here in San Diego with Chargers /Padres games-- I avoid games like the plague due to traffic issues , and the hassle of picking people up. there is plenty of business elsewhere

Disgusted Driver likes this.
  15. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    If you are going to work after a game or concert, you almost have to call them if you want a smooth pick up, where are you, tell them where you want to be, what are they wearing ... and snatch them up!

16. POST # 8/RenaldowRenaldow: No inebriated Mil-
    lennials to spoil
    this Good News! Congratulations...TWICE.
    You, by dint of Hard Work AND an unde-
    niable certain Something, have Simultan-eously Achieved the Status of Well-Known
    AND Approval Ratings Listee with a 54 Day
    Performance result of 102.445%.

https://uberpeople.net/posts/338664

Well-done, Sir!
    BTW: At Your convenience...if You could
    answer my Previous Question regarding
    "Pistola under left thigh" strategy, I'd
    be Most Appreciative.

Bison Admires.
    Bison Inspires!

17. ATX 22

ATX 22

Yeah, I avoid it a lot myself, I occasionally get a ping as I am attempting to escape the madness. I'm never there at 2am, I can find a lot of places where the drunks are easier to find and I don't have to fight for road position with 800 other cars in a 2 block stretch. My thinking is why stay tied up for 5 minutes when I can just cancel and get away from the madness.

18. Renaldow

Renaldow

Driving:
    UberX
    Thank you, kind sir!

Sorry about the delay in responding, that has been rectified.

19. madUber74

madUber74

Driving:
    UberX
    I rarely text pax. You never know if it's received and wind up waiting in limbo until the 5 min mark for the $5 cancel (make that $4 after SRF). A phone call might still net you no reply but at least you KNOW they're not receiving your messages.

20. RockinEZ

RockinEZ

Driving:
    UberX
    Total BS on the part of the pax.
    Just hit "arrived" and collect your $4 for the SPF (stupid pax fee) after 5 min and 10 seconds.
    Some nights I make more on SPF than I do hauling their ignorant kiesters around.

Sacto Burbs likes this.