• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Could you get suspended for rating riders low?

DRider85

Part of the reason I gave everyone 5 stars is because I felt scared not to. I didn't want bad ratings in return. I'm around a 4.9 with both Uber and lyft.

I used to be upset when my ratings dropped. But now I'm upset when I get no tips and they drink my water (which Uber hub recommended for ratings.)

I see things differently now. Why should I care about my ratings if I'm not even getting a tip after doing everything. Great car, clean, mints, water, comfortable seats.

I'm okay with lyft. There's a tip option and I get tipped sometimes but this is about ethics.

So if my passenger takes a water and mint and doesn't tip me (I'll even get a card reader), and I have no guarantees that I'll get a 5, then why should I feel obligated to give them a 5?

I mean this is serious. This is about morality. Would uber suspend me if I put in the comments that I gave them a 4 for taking my water on a short trip without tipping?

Uber should have never created this unacceptable culture. They encouraged this so I could keep my ratings up. I never recognized how ratings don't matter if it doesn't make you more money.

Even had a pax ask me if I'd rather have 6 dollars or 5 stars. So we don't work hard for tips apparently. We work for ratings. I never recognized how inappropriate this was because for a long time I thought a tip was included. This is deplorable. I don't care about the 1 dollar tip from a money perspective, but from an ethical point of view. but Uber seems one sided here.

So why should I rate them a 5? Just because I feel obligated to?

Also would you get in trouble for asking for tips if they drink your water?

steveK2016

Welcome to the dark side.

I have not heard of a single report of a driver being deactivated for rating a pax low. Many routinely rate their pax 1 for not tipping, and based on their vindictive nature, id bet that most of their pax dont tip.

DRider85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then don't give riders a 5. It doesn't matter what rating you give pax.
But if I explained in the comments why I gave them a 4, would Uber suspend me for judging them based on a tip?

Welcome to the dark side.

I have not heard of a single report of a driver being deactivated for rating a pax low. Many routinely rate their pax 1 for not tipping, and based on their vindictive nature, id bet that most of their pax dont tip.
So you can just rate many riders a 1 and get away with it?

shiftydrake

Oh my god you are such a newbie beyond help so what do you dream at night of what questions to ask then ask them stupidly on the internet?.......handle your affairs man nobody is going to hold your hand and show you how to do it its called EXPERIENCE for a reason.............experience it for yourself

steveK2016

But if I explained in the comments why I gave them a 4, would Uber suspend me for judging them based on a tip?

So you can just rate many riders a 1 and get away with it?
Remember though, Pax can see their ratings before they have to rate you. Not every pax care of about their ratings, but if they do, they'll know they were down rated. If they don't know which driver did it, it's more than possible that they just down rate all their recent drivers.

I've heard of drivers doing the reverse. If they get a bad rating from a pax but can't pin point who, they go back and down rate all their recent pax.

Vindictiveness will kill the soul and not improve your revenue, but if it's what you want to do by all means.

I rate based on how the ride experience went. If they were jerks or damaged/trashed my vehicle, they are rated accordingly.

AuxCordBoston

Remember though, Pax can see their ratings before they have to rate you. Not every pax care of about their ratings, but if they do, they'll know they were down rated. If they don't know which driver did it, it's more than possible that they just down rate all their recent drivers.

I've heard of drivers doing the reverse. If they get a bad rating from a pax but can't pin point who, they go back and down rate all their recent pax.

Vindictiveness will kill the soul and not improve your revenue, but if it's what you want to do by all means.

I rate based on how the ride experience went. If they were jerks or damaged/trashed my vehicle, they are rated accordingly.
I went back and changed ratings for everyone in a pool ride. I think it backfired since my ratings dropped afterwards. Now I don't do that

steveK2016

I went back and changed ratings for everyone in a pool ride. I think it backfired since my ratings dropped afterwards. Now I don't do that
Same thing I noticed when I was new and decided to down rate riders for not tipping. My tips did not improve but my ratings plummeted.

Last edited:

AuxCordBoston

Same thing I noticed when I was new and decided to down rate drivers for not tipping. My tips did not improve but my ratings plummeted.
Honestly, I don't think uber is deactivating for low ratings like they once used to. This forum doesn't have many recent posts regarding deactivation for low ratings.

steveK2016

Honestly, I don't think uber is deactivating for low ratings like they once used to. This forum doesn't have many recent posts regarding deactivation for low ratings.
They are, but I think this is an issue with the rating system itself.

Since the last major app update, ratings have gone down. Good or bad, they've all gone down.

I think the reason is some of the ratings in app do not register properly. Another possible reason is they've shortened the time in which a rider can rate a driver. Someone else also mentioned that they integrated the rating prompt with the slide out in the bottom for a "seemless" experience but it buries the rating somewhat.

I think overall ratings are just going down, to include bad ratings, which is making it less likely to get down rated to deactivation.

Doowop

Oh my god you are such a newbie beyond help so what do you dream at night of what questions to ask then ask them stupidly on the internet?.......handle your affairs man nobody is going to hold your hand and show you how to do it its called EXPERIENCE for a reason.............experience it for yourself
Thought this was Advice thread

shiftydrake

It is but he asks easy experienced questions meaning if he just experienced it then he would answer it for himself instead of asking questions that he asks every few days...........like why do taxis get tipped?.........

Or is the tip included

And now can I be fired for rating someone low?..........

Dave609

Part of the reason I gave everyone 5 stars is because I felt scared not to. I didn't want bad ratings in return. I'm around a 4.9 with both Uber and lyft.

I used to be upset when my ratings dropped. But now I'm upset when I get no tips and they drink my water (which Uber hub recommended for ratings.)

I see things differently now. Why should I care about my ratings if I'm not even getting a tip after doing everything. Great car, clean, mints, water, comfortable seats.

I'm okay with lyft. There's a tip option and I get tipped sometimes but this is about ethics.

So if my passenger takes a water and mint and doesn't tip me (I'll even get a card reader), and I have no guarantees that I'll get a 5, then why should I feel obligated to give them a 5?

I mean this is serious. This is about morality. Would uber suspend me if I put in the comments that I gave them a 4 for taking my water on a short trip without tipping?

Uber should have never created this unacceptable culture. They encouraged this so I could keep my ratings up. I never recognized how ratings don't matter if it doesn't make you more money.

Even had a pax ask me if I'd rather have 6 dollars or 5 stars. So we don't work hard for tips apparently. We work for ratings. I never recognized how inappropriate this was because for a long time I thought a tip was included. This is deplorable. I don't care about the 1 dollar tip from a money perspective, but from an ethical point of view. but Uber seems one sided here.

So why should I rate them a 5? Just because I feel obligated to?

Also would you get in trouble for asking for tips if they drink your water?
mints and water lol sounds like a mobile walgreens

kc ub'ing!

Of course you can rate whatever you wish without fear repercussion from Uber. Just keep in mind, riders will rate you low in retaliation.

IMO rating low due to no tip is childish and lame! Our riders have been socialized since the beginning to not tip. You're issue is with Uber. Furthermore, a riders rating is meaningless. Uber won't deactivate a customer. "No keep you're money. You're rating is low, we don't want you're business!"

UubSaibot

I saw a driver with a 4.3 on XL. Uber has made many changes so far in 2017. Look for them to change the rating system soon. They want to push UberFOOL. They will change the rating system soon. Unless there is a serious issue reported or took place, deactivating someone for not having water or candy will be tossed. Uber is watering down their service, they want scrape up that scum and algae from the bottom of the POOL. So they will soon water down the ratings requirement. Most drivers want to stay active on the platform. That's why we don't accept every ride, desperation will lead to deactivation.

It was different when riders couldn't see their rating. Now, they will wait to see what you gave them, because you gotta rate right away, they don't. Just like UberEATS, UberFOOL will be a similar rating system for drivers who are overtly concerned with 5 star ratings. This should also allow drivers to stick with the UberFOOL protocol, if the rider doesn't want to be late for work, then they will find another way or leave their house earlier, just like they do with the bus. UberFOOL riders don't understand that they are trading time and car space for $$$.

Jesusdrivesuber

Do what any intelligent human being does, give 5 stars and after 2 days go change the passenger's rates through "I'd like to change my rating for a passenger".

This (of course) is only saved for those who care about rates and usually down rate when they see their rate was affected, kids, thank God they are the millennial kind and not too bright to realize what happened to them later.

Any other type of pax will almost never down rate you if you gave a good ride, even after you gave them a bad rate for not tipping.

dirtylee

Nope. Pax can't see what you rated them either. Heck, it's difficult for them to find out their own rating.

Side note: have you guys ever used the app as a rider?

AuxCordBoston

I saw a driver with a 4.3 on XL. Uber has made many changes so far in 2017. Look for them to change the rating system soon. They want to push UberFOOL. They will change the rating system soon. Unless there is a serious issue reported or took place, deactivating someone for not having water or candy will be tossed. Uber is watering down their service, they want scrape up that scum and algae from the bottom of the POOL. So they will soon water down the ratings requirement. Most drivers want to stay active on the platform. That's why we don't accept every ride, desperation will lead to deactivation.

It was different when riders couldn't see their rating. Now, they will wait to see what you gave them, because you gotta rate right away, they don't. Just like UberEATS, UberFOOL will be a similar rating system for drivers who are overtly concerned with 5 star ratings. This should also allow drivers to stick with the UberFOOL protocol, if the rider doesn't want to be late for work, then they will find another way or leave their house earlier, just like they do with the bus. UberFOOL riders don't understand that they are trading time and car space for $$$.
So you are saying that uber will modify its rating system to take into account low uber pool ratings. And how do you know this?

Nope. Pax can't see what you rated them either. Heck, it's difficult for them to find out their own rating.

Side note: have you guys ever used the app as a rider?
Never been a rider. I should.

Of course you can rate whatever you wish without fear repercussion from Uber. Just keep in mind, riders will rate you low in retaliation.

IMO rating low due to no tip is childish and lame! Our riders have been socialized since the beginning to not tip. You're issue is with Uber. Furthermore, a riders rating is meaningless. Uber won't deactivate a customer. "No keep you're money. You're rating is low, we don't want you're business!"
If you give a pax a 5 and then change to a 1 a week later, pax may not notice or even care. But if you change it to a 1 a week later with a flag (such as rider being rude) the rider will receive the flag and will certainly know about it and will want to retaliate

UubSaibot

So you are saying that uber will modify its rating system to take into account low uber pool ratings. And how do you know this?

Never been a rider. I should.

If you give a pax a 5 and then change to a 1 a week later, pax may not notice or even care. But if you change it to a 1 a week later with a flag (such as rider being rude) the rider will receive the flag and will certainly know about it and will want to retaliate[/
Not set in stone. I spoke to someone at the local office. They will make it a more feedback based rating with thumbs up or thumbs down with an explanation. When the dummies explain to Uber that they were late for work, they didn't know, or whatever lame reason, the driver cannot be penalized for simply following UberFOOL protocol. You give me a 1 star because I picked up a 2nd and/or 3rd rider and made you even more late for work when you are the one who chose UberFOOL?? Telling me not to pickup other riders, wanting to make stops with other riders in the vehicle, wanting to change destination, putting in wrong destination and then have to pickup other riders, then having to cancel to help increase your cancellation percentage.

Riders can see their rating.