• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

COSTCO: A rideshare driver's best friend

CTridz

I just signed up for a membership with Costco wholesale club. This is really going to help me out as a Lyft driver. My car is supposed to run on Premium gas with the "Top Tier" designation. At the Costco gas station in New Britain, premium gas is currently $2.38/gal and regular is $2.17 (no mid-grade offered). Both prices are well below the state average and their gas has the Top Tier endorsement. Membership starts at $55/year. I think it will only take about a month to see a return on that investment. They also have great prices in motor oil and bottled water.

LAuberX

I agree. With an executive membership and a Costco business/Citi bank credit card you get cash back too... check it out.

I buy a LOT of oil for our "fleet", WalMart is usually cheaper than Costco.

Maven

I just signed up for a membership with Costco wholesale club. This is really going to help me out as a Lyft driver. My car is supposed to run on Premium gas with the "Top Tier" designation. At the Costco gas station in New Britain, premium gas is currently $2.38/gal and regular is $2.17 (no mid-grade offered). Both prices are well below the state average and their gas has the Top Tier endorsement. Membership starts at $55/year. I think it will only take about a month to see a return on that investment. They also have great prices in motor oil and bottled water.
I have a few problems with Costco and other big box discount clubs like Sams and BJs.
  • First, of course, is the large membership, paid on the theory that their prices are better then other stores. I have not found this to be true. There was a 3 month free trial at BJs, a Costco competitor. I can consistently get better prices at some combination of Walmart, Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers.
  • Although gas is advertised as a benefit, few locations actually have it. You are lucky. I am not. The closest is about 50 miles away.
  • Costco is NOT the cheapest gas in New Britain or elsewhere in Connecticut.
I have found that Cumberland Farms generally is the cheapest gas in Connecticut if you join their free Smartpay program. Here's recent information near New Britain for regular gas.

$2.17 Costco New Britain
$2.18 Cumberland Farms Smartpay New Britain (just barely win this one)
$2.11 Cumberland Farms Smartpay Plainville (now you start losing)
$2.10 Cumberland Farms Smartpay Wethersfield (24-hours if u r out late)
$2.07 Cumberland Farms Smartpay Southington

LAuberX, what's the current regular gas price at Walmart?

Unlike Costco, No Membership Fee, so I am already $55 ahead. Go on the Cumberland Farms web site to confirm. Unfortunately, everything else in Cumberland Farms convenience stores tends to be overpriced. I still keep Uber's Fuel Card active for emergencies, but since it must be used as a credit card, I rarely choose it.

Last edited:

CTridz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maven, that is a very good analysis of the situation. You are right that the wholesale club membership is not quite as advantageous for people who can put regular gas in their car. Due to some unforeseen circumstances in recent years, I ended up with a vehicle that requires premium gas. (I considered trading it in but that is not an option right now). A wholesale club membership is the only way I can find consistently low prices on premium gas. Right now I'd be paying $2.70/gal with smart pay at the Cumberland Farms in New Britain. But, I do like to stop at Cumberland Farms for the 99 cent iced coffee.

Danatee

Cumberland farms also has a program to save 10 cents per gallon. Just sign up online or go in the store and grab an application. Link it to your bank account and you are all set. The more you use it, the more free stuff you get too. Most times you get free soft drinks or coffees. other times you get free chips or a candy bar.
And this is free to join. You can find some pretty cheap gas this way and save a bunch. And if you are near mass, save even more by going over the line and getting your gas at a mass cumbies.
Here is a link for info and sign up.....
https://www.cumberlandfarms.com/smartpay

CTridz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a few problems with Costco and other big box discount clubs like Sams and BJs

• Although gas is advertised as a benefit, few locations actually have it. You are lucky. I am not. The closest is about 50 miles away
I recently brought a Lyft passenger from Enfield, CT to Springfield, MA. I thought I would just fuel up at the Costco nearby but it did not have a gas station. :frown: I was surprised because the other Costco stores I have shopped at had a gas station.

Danatee

I recently brought a Lyft passenger from Enfield, CT to Springfield, MA. I thought I would just fuel up at the Costco nearby but it did not have a gas station. :frown: I was surprised because the other Costco stores I have shopped at had a gas station.
If you had that cumberland farms app, while you were in Springfield, hit up the cumbies on Carew st. Cheapest gas around unless you hit BJ's in Chicopee but, you need that membership.