Cop wrote me a ticket but put the wrong address. Can I get out of it?

KissmeKate

I received two tickets tonight in front of the AMC movie theatre on Illinois, but the address on the ticket says Ohio. Is that enough to dispute the ticket?

priusguy

I received two tickets tonight in front of the AMC movie theatre on Illinois, but the address on the ticket says Ohio. Is that enough to dispute the ticket?
nope as long as all your infoon ticket is correct you cant fight.......i could be wrong but i dont think wrong street makes any difference

SMH Uber

I had that situation happened to me (not while driving uber though). If possible take pictures. Also print and mock up Google Street view of the area. Take print out of the trip information for that ride. Take them to court to prove your case.

I did and was prepared to defend my case, the prosecutor recommended dismissal and judge dismissed my case before I could defend it. I believe they saw I was prepared because I had my folders and documentation. Plus, I looked out of place in comparison to everyone else, as I was dressed appropriately for court.

Tip: When you go to court, dress in business attire. Everyone else there was dressed like they are going to the club, the beach, dressed for bed, and/or to going to skate board, etc. Your appearance means everything and it shows you respect the court.

SomeDrivingGuy

Parking tickets? If so then contest them. If not then still contest them. Either way you have some chance to save money. If it is court where the officer must appear, and he doesn't, you automatically win no matter what.

Had a friend who was busted without insurance and went to court. He didn't take a stand or anything. His name and a few others were called, and they were all dismissed. Their cop did not come in. So who knows what the rest got away with.

It is worth the effort.

KissmeKate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was waiting for a car to pull out so I could pull into a parking spot to wait for my fare, even had my signal on. He pulled up behind me and turned on his strobes. Before I could pull over, my passengers ran out of the theatre and got in the car. He then approached the car and told the passengers to get out. This cop was hostile towards me from the get-go, shining his flashlight in my face and saying "Do you know who I am?" Apparently the correct answer was "Police" but I really wanted to say "A jerk with a badge and something to prove."

He cited me for "operating a transportation network vehicle in an area where the operation of such vehicle is prohibited by applicable law" saying that I was blocking traffic by waiting for my passengers in the driving lane. He even accused me of making up an "imaginary vehicle" that pulled out from the parking spot. When I couldnt produce my emblem immediately (it had fallen off the dash and under the front seat), he wrote me a ticket for that too.

SomeDrivingGuy

Contest it all and explain yourself in court. You have nothing to lose but time and effort.

Be sure to print your screenshot of where you started/ended trip (for the exact time and location). Take your uber emblem to court and mention you had no time since the cop seemed to rush you. You want them to see everything that happened, including the incorrect address and wrongful citations. Maybe even adding how long you've been driving would help.

KissmeKate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update:
I just consulted with an attorney and there is no defense for these citations. It's a kangaroo court and they do whatever they like. I can't even find out how much the violation would cost.

mahatma57

If the address on the ticket is incorrect, you have grounds for a defense of "The facts alleged in the complaint are incorrect".
If you request an in-person hearing, you can present your case, and have a real person decide. And they have to tell you why they decided what they did.
If you lose, you still have 25 days to pay the fine before it doubles.

Edwin Walker

I would suggest you get a dash cam. This way you can record everything.

I was driving in Bensenville, a cop stop me because he said 'I touch the line', in fact he said, I did not go over the line, I touch it three times. In court I was able to show the judge that I never touch the line, I was not 'weaving'.

You have to attack his creditability, you have to get him to admit that the address he wrote was wrong. Then suggest that all the facts are in question because of this.