Considering uberx

CaptainAwesome

Hi Friends, I've considered uber for a few months now and was looking for some advice. I currently live in auburn and commute to Bellevue each day my commute time is atleast 3 or more hours per day driving to and from my job site just to make a low wage that sounds comparable to what uber drivers say they are making. That's 15 or more hours per week in traffic! I figure I could spend this time on the road actually making money. Anyway I really do not like my work and I've decided to quit. I'm looking to do something completely different, I love people in general and even with the negative stuff I read it still sounds appealing to me. I understand no job is perfect but this would be a side job for me while I get other things going. Would you recommend it? Is it really that bad? I'm essentially already doing 12 hours a day in a hostile work environment where I feel marginalized and unappreciated. So I feel this could be a much better gig for me...thoughts? I appreciate reading everything you all post here it's been very helpful! Just thought I'd throw this out there before I leave my worthless current employment lol

berserk42

Should post this in Seattle forum.

That is an awful commute.

As far as UberX goes in comparison to your current job....do you have benefits in your current job? If so, I would keep your job and work on finding one closer to home. Perhaps Uber in your spare time.

If you don't have benefits, maybe consider uber full time. Just understand that uber has a track record of lowering rates and making other changes without warning. So if you do decide on full time, I would avoid investing much, if anything in this. Try to use a car you already own. If not possible, buy a used car that has at least a few years of eligibility left.

CaptainAwesome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you! Yes it's a horrid commute. My job has no benefits either so yet another reason. I have a very nice car a Chevy Impala Ltz. Thanks for the advice!

Another Uber Driver

I understand no job is perfect but this would be a side job for me while I get other things going,

I'm already doing 12 hours a day in a hostile work environment

I feel marginalized and unappreciated.
You will get away with this for a limited time. As long as you have a prospect of finding similar employment, you can do this for at most, sixty day. You might get away with ninety, but that would be pushing it. Anything more than ninety days and you are in trouble.

Considering how some passengers treat drivers, if you drive to the state limit behind the wheel, you can find the same with Uber or Lyft.

WELCOME TO UBER!

gofry

Understand that you will likely make $7-10 per hour, maybe less, and you will need insurance and will pay 15% self-employment tax (in addition to income tax). Plus, your nice Impala will rack up lots of hard miles.

If you can live with all that, go for it.

CaptainAwesome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you saying $7-$10 after uber takes 20% and fuel costs related to the work itself? I've seen some peoples calculations and I'm wondering how these numbers are calculated. Or if they are valid. For example I've seen people say they remove cost of car payment from what they make and are left with basically breaking even or losing money. However everyone needs a car or a way to get to a job and if everybody deducted car expenses, fuel, clothing, insurance, health insurance, etc nobody in any job really makes money or is losing money in any field it's why the economy and credit works. I'm trying to wrap my head around it honestly. Every job I've ever had I'm left with zero at the end of the month or very little for life a lifestyle , because I have a house, kids, 2 cars, insurances, food etc. it seems to me too many people deduct everything thinking this is some magic get rich deal. I guess my question is after uber takes their cut and I pay my fuel what does my take home check look like? Is it a couple thousand dollars or is it zero? Thanks again I appreciate the input.

berserk42

Not sure what market gofry is referring to.

Understand that you will be at a disadvantage to everyone that started 12/2015 or earlier...for UberX your commission will be 25% and those that started 12/2015 or earlier is 20%.

Be sure to accurately consider your costs. Account for maintenance, gas, and depreciation. Work out a per mile cost for all of this and count all of your miles.

Also consider increased insurance cost, if any. USAA and Metromile offer rideshare coverage, think more do in WA, not sure. But look into those and definitely choose one before you start.

That said, the only good way to compare earnings is to compare gross fares per hour. I only drive weekend nights. For 2016 (excluding NYE), my gross fares per hour have ranged from $20 to $43. $20 gross is awful (bad night, at bar close, surge disappeared, I was flooded with pool requests, said @#$# it and went home). My calculated profits per hour have ranged from $11 to $28.

Excluding the great and horrible, my gross fares per hour are typically $28 to $35 and my calculated profits per hour are typically $19 to $22.

Other people do better, other people may do worse.

gofry

Are you saying $7-$10 after uber takes 20% and fuel costs related to the work itself?
Yes, after Uber's cut, gas, etc., but before self employment tax and car repairs and depreciation. Don't get tricked into thinking that expenses that you can write off or tax deductions make this low pay worthwhile.

As berserk42 has mentioned, some do better, but I would not count on it. Do it for a few months then do the math.

berserk42

That's a good point. If you do have an opportunity to take some leave from your current job, perhaps take a 2 week "vacation" and use that to evaluate if full time will work for you. But another caveat here...it is busy season now. The winter (post NYE) is slower.