• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Considering Uber

edmnuber2017

Hello everyone, I'm considering driving for Uber. But I haven't seen a lot of positive comments here. I work full time and just want to drive to pretty much cover the cost of my vehicle (~$800/mo). Can I make $200-$300 per week p/t? If I work Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights 8-2 kinda thing? What are weekday mornings like? I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Vavvav

To make $250 a week after gas you would need to bring in about $300 a week. It sounds like you would need to work the 12 power hours, 8pm to 2am Friday and Saturday, at $18 an hour average that works out to $216.

To get the $84 total needed to bump up to $300 pre gas you would have to put in another 12 hours during the week, at $7 an average, about one trip per hour which would be what the average is.

During the power hours you will average 2 or 3 per hour. During the non power hours you might get two in one hour and then nothing for two hours, so the average works out to about 1, most trips average $7 per hour.

8am to 9am are sometimes considered power hours but often you get a lull after that.

You might get lucky and make $300 working the 8 to 9am shift every day and 8 to 2am Friday and Saturday milk run. That would be 17 hours to 20 hours.

The dark side of this is.you can't just double the 20 hours and say you would make $800 working 40 hours, because there are only a limited number of.power hours during the week.

Generally I find I make $400 a week with the app on 40 hours, because I don't handpick my hours and just leave the app on all day, thus leaving me working non power hours.

Hope that helps.

edmnuber2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, that does help a bit. I just have to consider that you're in Niagra Falls and I'm in Edmonton. We have a higher population, so that's good, but I wonder what the difference is between the city's ratio of drivers/riders is.

Vavvav

Niagara Falls also has tourists, on any given day you have an extra 30000 people in the city plus we have a university close by in St. Catharines with 150000 to 18000 students. Reading the Edmonton and Calgary posts they sound similar to other markets.

Toronto is the only place you might average $15 plus for every hour and even then most markets outside of the downtown are like the rest of the planet.

driving XL all month in february 2017, and yes it looks bad, according to my calculation after all expenses for February 2017 I made about $12.05 per hour not mention TOTAL of: 6500 km

This was selected from the Ottawa board. No matter what way you slice it Uber is a minimum wage side gig.

Read the other cities boards, they paint similar theme.

ladydriven

You want to hear yes no problem, you can do it easily. NOT. The Edmonton market is very soft. Take a couple of uber taxis in Edmonton talk to drivers actually working weekends, do your research not on here, These guys are not in Edmonton. We are covered by soooo many taxi companies who will work off meter. The taxi industry is far more competitive here. Just check out what Uber charges to the airport and see what taxi companies charge, Uber charges more in my area. You can not compare Uber here to Ontario, remember Ontario has HST so trips are 20% less just because they arent charging it yet in Ontario therefore they get a huge share of the taxi market, not the case in Alberta. Also our economy is just plain lousy right now so just not the people taking Uber in general. I don't think Uber caught on here the way it did in Ontario so its gets a very small percentage of the market to begin with. The St Alberta man who got the $1000.00 Uber bill is still in a lot of people minds. We may have a higher population but we also have way too many drivers as well. This is just the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

edmnuber2017

Thanks for your input Ladydriven. So what I'm getting is that it would not be that easy to earn $200-$300 per week by putting in 20-30hrs per week. Wonder how anyone out there is making it. :frown:

Vavvav

Read about the surrounding cities, it sounds like $200 to $300 will take.you 30 hours, that's a lot of time to put in.

edmnuber2017

Yeah, well my "full-time" job is only 33hrs. I can do another 20-25hrs easy. I'd like to think &10/hr isn't to hard to come by.

BillBallCanada

Comes down to when you work, how lucky you are for the distances the trips take you, and if you catch surges. I'm at 12.55 hrs this week and $339. Now that's with two playoff hockey games, and working until ~ 1 am. Especially between 8-10pm be prepared to sit around for up to an hour while waiting for trips (worse part of the job) and ya bad days are $10-14 /hr so yes it's hit/miss. I just hope Uber smartens up at some point and adds a TIP option to the app.

edmnuber2017

Thanks for your input as well BillBallCanada. And yes, it's pretty silly of them to take the option of tipping away from a low paying service position. I also took Ladydriven's advice and took an Uber the other night. I told the driver that I was thinking of driving for Uber. I asked him his opinion if he felt that making $10/hr is a reasonable expectation and he said that that is sometimes difficult. Your post above is the most positive thing I've read about Uber. I'm also concerned with the longevity of Uber, is it here to stay? Passing trend? I think Uber would do well to be as driver orientated as much as they are rider orientated. I know the riders are the money, but there's no Uber without the drivers.

BGL

...I work full time and just want to drive to pretty much cover the cost of my vehicle (~$800/mo). Can I make $200-$300 per week p/t?...
Edmnuber, if your vehicle expenses are ~800/mon, I assume this includes payments on a new/nearly new vehicle.

It's worth understanding that when Uber drivers talk of "Making $10 or $15 or $20 per hour" that simply isn't true. Sure, cash in vs cash out can be in that range, but you are basically trading cash today against accelerated depreciation of your vehicle.

This is particularly true for new vehicles — high mileage really hurts their resale or lease-return values, and you will give back a lot of your so-called "earnings" when you sell or return the car. Older vehicles that have already had their big depreciation bites are a much better bet.

I gave up Ubering in December as my 2006 was about to age out and I couldn't justify buying something much newer and depreciating it quickly.