• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Considering Uber through Xchange car leasing. Any advice out there?

black rhino

Total expenses per month, including gas, lease, and insurance, are $1200. That doesn't include Scotch Guard or car washes.
Never done this before so I have a few basic dumb questions --

1) If you drive 1000 miles a week, can it be profitable?
2) Is it possible to drive 1000 miles/week?
3) How many hours would that constitute?
4) Does anybody do uber full-time? If so, is it a do-able gig (as in, no more than 40 hours/week)?

Thank youse in advance

oscardelta

I don't have any direct experience with Xchange, but I would be very, very hesitant to enter into any type of agreement on a car lease that in any way involves Uber. After six months of dealing with the company and watching them tie themselves in knots in their attempts to shave every nickel they can off the backs of their "partners", I can't imagine how something as major as a car lease is going to end well for the driver. I'm sure Uber will somehow benefit from it, but you probably won't. If you know a lawyer, it would be money well-spent to have him take a look at the agreement before you commit.

If you don't know a lawyer and can't afford to hire one to look at the documents, I would strongly advise against signing them.

5StarPartner

As soon as you said "afford a lawyer", the argument is invalid. Uber drivers are poor people getting taken advantage of by Uber... What a great idea to lock yourself into a lease with a company who can terminate you any minute for any reason.

Reactions: MrA

Krissyg

I lease my vehicle through uber. The car is a lease!!! I love it. No car payment. I drive to pay my note. It's simple. If uber were to terminate you---you either give the car back with no questions asked, or continue to make
Payments on your own. I drive a 2017 Toyota Camry and I love it. I'll drive to make the payment. Again, your not locked into anything crazy. In my opinion it's better bc your really not draining your own vehicle. The lease has no mileage caps, and full warranty with free oil changes and tire rotations. If you need a car this is the way to go ( unless you have AAA credit).

Gees2016

As soon as you said "afford a lawyer", the argument is invalid. Uber drivers are poor people getting taken advantage of by Uber... What a great idea to lock yourself into a lease with a company who can terminate you any minute for any reason.
This guy....Uber drivers are poor people....how do you sound? ....so i guess cabbies are foreigners that skate on paying taxes...you always come with the negative.

J1945

I mean... Am I wrong? Why the hell else would you drive at laughable rates if you aren't desperate for peasant pay?
I don't think it's right to lump them all in as "poor". A lot of them could also just be stupid. The two don't necessarily go together.

bobby747

5 star i agree with alot you say . but Uber drivers are poor people getting taken advantage of by Uber.. to talk like this . you dont know my net worth. am i poor . or just poor paid. i am not poor. maybe i work for less. but i lost all respect for you with these words.
your cabs you care for are driven by people who dont bath . smell and drive 18 hours a shift. in wore out cars.
you had alot of valid points . but it seems you like to bash low paying drivers.taxi driving is not a good career, unless you have no green card and cheat the gov on you taxes by no even filing. So you are so proud that you worked concert and earned $400 in 4 hrs last week and i did 6 hours and made $575.....

5StarPartner

Bobby, you're probably the only person on this board with a brain, I can respect that. But don't insult my drivers. ALL of my cars are 2012/2013 or newer. My oldest car a 2011 crown Vic, I drive personally and I can guarantee you are cleaner and better air conditioned than any UberX you can ever get. And if I catch my drivers not meeting my car standards they learn the hard way with a few cracked limbs. I've tried to help you many times to better yourself. Uber is NEVER the answer. And once again during the DNC only people making money are cabbies.

Gees2016

Bobby, you're probably the only person on this board with a brain, I can respect that. But don't insult my drivers. ALL of my cars are 2012/2013 or newer. My oldest car a 2011 crown Vic, I drive personally and I can guarantee you are cleaner and better air conditioned than any UberX you can ever get. And if I catch my drivers not meeting my car standards they learn the hard way with a few cracked limbs. I've tried to help you many times to better yourself. Uber is NEVER the answer. And once again during the DNC only people making money are cabbies.
Few cracked limbs....ctfuuuu....i luv these internet gangstas....u have no clue....by u calling Uber drivers poor....u have no clue as to whats really going on. Some people use Uber as a stepping stone....the same the foreigners use cabbies as a stepping stone. The rates are low but it is what it is....u make a statement like that shows just how small ur brain is....keep watching those gangsta movies....u will get a reality check real soon.

bobby747

. I've tried to help you many times to better yourself. i understand. but driving a cab as a professional person , it will not be better for me. its still driving and boring transporting business. other better ways to earn for this guy. at the end of the day . cab driving is just cab driving....you still got to put in many hours and hard work to come out on top. better pay than uber. i agree 100%. good career for a skilled guy. 100% no way. whats avg guy make a week 60 hrs $1500? $25 hr +

5StarPartner

In 60 hours a week you should put $1500-2000 in your pocket. 50% cash. I don't know, I barely drive anymore. I won't be driving at all till September. Teaching 2 classes at Temple had me booked solid this summer. The difference is, with uber they can cut your head off at any time... How is that something you can sleep with knowing you can be out of work tomorrow?

bobby747

you see if you had a life before uber ( many did i am sure) or a good job.and made big $$$ ( bob) .me .you dont worry about that . the last day can be the better day. like you say for others its a really bad thing. so i agree with that.
cutting your head off after you go buy a car is really a bad thing. also having to deal with rating with drunk customers is so bad. cabs just show them the door

black rhino

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok.
so there are a lot of really angry, frustrated folks out there who have worked behind the wheel for uber.
got it.
but the questions were about whether it was feasible to make some kind of money doing this thing.
is it possible to make a decent wage driving 20-25 hours a week?
do you need to be out and ready to go for 40 hrs?

Gees2016

ok.
so there are a lot of really angry, frustrated folks out there who have worked behind the wheel for uber.
got it.
but the questions were about whether it was feasible to make some kind of money doing this thing.
Its all about location man.....you have to create a pattern for yourself....whats feasible for someone else might not be feasible for you.

GothamUberSignal

ok.
got it.

Once you get the Xchange car you essentially find yourself "working in the hole" for the weekly price.

So for example if you get an Xchange car and it costs $150 a week (Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris) what happens is you have to make $150 FIRST then uber takes that then the rest is all yours. Short answer being if you don't plan on Ubering pretty hard then Xchange is probably not a good idea. You can return it after 30 days but you would have made more without bothering with it.

The other thing to consider is New or Used. IF you do go for it only do new it will save you a headache. Uber approved vehicles don't always work when used because Uber's algorithm for determining value is kinda wonky. Wont get approved for a newer car if it has too many previous owners, if it was once a rental car, if it has too miles etc

Ryuber

- I wouldn't recommend doing only Uber whether it's full or part time. Uber works better on the side with extra benefit.
- I am doing Uber between 40-50 hr per week extra besides my regular job so my example would be within your criteria 40 hr/wk.

Here's my example:
Hrs a week:
Between 40 - 50 hrs(No late night Driving)
Miles per week: About 120 miles a day(Including 40 miles round trip commute to regular job). So it could be around 90 miles a day for Uber only.
Average Pay after Uber Commission: $450 ~ $650 and Average about $520.
Average Expense per week: Gas $150. Car Maintenance including repair $58($3,000 a year). depreciation per mile 20 cents so $18 a day and $126 a week. Total Expense per week = $334.
Average Net Income: $186 a week and $9672 a year.
Above net income could be equivalent to $13,817 earning for regular job with 30% tax assumption.

So if you truly want to earn decent money, you should look for other job.

If you think above earning is what you expected, do the math with Uber Leasing weekly payment.

FARIS

I lease my vehicle through uber. The car is a lease!!! I love it. No car payment. I drive to pay my note. It's simple. If uber were to terminate you---you either give the car back with no questions asked, or continue to make
Payments on your own. I drive a 2017 Toyota Camry and I love it. I'll drive to make the payment. Again, your not locked into anything crazy. In my opinion it's better bc your really not draining your own vehicle. The lease has no mileage caps, and full warranty with free oil changes and tire rotations. If you need a car this is the way to go ( unless you have AAA credit).
LMAO , what about the car price ? , its a lot more than it worth or the actual price You thing that you are smarter than them ?