1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Consider these points before you sign up

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Harriston, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Harriston

Harriston

Uber is aggressively recruiting new drivers every week.

Before you sign up, the following are things you should know about being an Uber Driver in Singapore.

1. The earnings per week (Most common question)

There are some top drivers who claim to be able to earn $2,500 to $3,000 a week. They are usually very hard working and drive 80-100 hours a week. That is about 12-14 hours a day.

These super stars can do it. I salute them. But most of us cannot sustain that pace for longer than one month. I could not sustain driving for such long hours for longer than 7 days in a row.

Do your calculations carefully. If you read the threads here, you will find that drivers who rent cars often do not make much more than $10-$15/hour after deducting rental, petrol and other expenses.

Drivers with own cars do slightly better. But not very much better if you factor in depreciation and opportunity costs.

2. Your physical and mental health condition

If you are hoping to earn some serious money driving for Uber, be aware of what 10-12 hours of sitting in a car will do to your body. If you do it week after week, month after month, it may not be good for your health.

If you lack rest, you should not drive. It would be dangerous. You should not put yourself, your passengers and other road users at risk.

For some people, driving around Singapore is easy and fun. Locating your pickups is easy and checking the GPS while keeping your eyes on the road is a piece of cake.

You have to multi-task while driving, constantly paying attention to the road, avoiding accidents, checking your GPS for the next turn and checking the SMS for messages by your riders on the location to pick them up. You will get it wrong sometimes because the GPS is showing you a place but your riders will be at another place nearby but you can't see them.

Depending on your personality, this can be very stressful or very fun and challenging like a game. I am often very stressed out after 8 hours of full concentration like that. But that's just me.

3. Be prepared to be in a service industry

You will meet many different kinds of people. Some are nice, a few are downright nasty. This is just part and parcel of being in the service industry.

Some people will treat you more like friends, some will treat you like their lowest servants at their beck and call. They will not hesitate to bark orders at you and scold you for things that are not your fault.

You have to decide if you have the ability to work in such an environment. If you are quick tempered, easily annoyed or irritated, then this service industry may not be right for you.

Very often, you have to suppress your pride, eat humble pie and be thicked skinned. You must hold your tongue and not talk back or argue with the customer, no matter who is in the wrong.

Depending on your personality, you may find this very easy or very difficult. Only you know yourself better.

4. Passengers will not treat your car with care.

Passengers will bring their shopping, dirty boots and bags and other items into car. They will sometimes eat and drink inside and dirty the seats and other parts of the car. I have found nose snot and other dirty bodily discharges wiped on my seats. They will wear out your seats and cause damage to the seat covers and other areas. This is part of providing such services.

Again think carefully. If you really cannot take such behavior in your car, then this job may not be right for you.

5. Consider various options besides Uber.

I am not trying to encourage or discourage you. Everyone of us has a different personality and different life circumstances.

I am trying to help you make a more informed decision whether to join Uber or not. There are jobs that pay better than Uber and jobs that pay worse than Uber.

Bear in mind, there are no paid off days or paid vacations or paid MC days. On the days when you don't work or can't work for some reason, you will not get paid.

You have the freedom to work as much as you want. Your only constraints may be your daily or weekly stamina and endurance.

On the other hand, you may work as little as you want. It's your life. You decide how to spend or waste your time.
    It's as simple as that.

Look at your circumstances, be mindful of your own personality, likes and dislikes and personal quirks. Also consider your skill sets and other job opportunities carefully. There are pros and cons in every job. Find a job that fits your personality, strengths and weaknesses and skill sets better.

Don't be just motivated by money alone.

Take reports of earning potential with a pinch of salt. It's not that easy as to hit high numbers in dollars as Uber would have you believe.

Uber driving is fun and profitable for some people.

But it is definitely not suitable for everyone.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    mosprockett, Txchick, Skynite and 2 others like this.
  2. kruncho

kruncho

agree!

3. powerocks

powerocks

great thread fully agree.

4. Hawk3ye

Hawk3ye

This is a very good post, and agree cmpletely

5. Harriston

Harriston

All new and potential Uber drivers please take note:

With the latest Accelerator Guarantee -
    If you are aiming to achieve and earn the top tier of just $40/hr, you must drive more than 80 hours a week and maintain an average of 1.9 trips per hour or better.

This is even worse than the previous version. The new scheme has lower guarantee, longer hours and higher TPH.

You have to average about 12 hours of driving a day, every day for 7 days in a row.

Lunch or dinner breaks and pee breaks must not exceed 5 mins during those hours.

My advice is not to hold your pee for too long. It will damage your health. Just ask any taxi driver who has worked more than 2 years.

6. jaleel

jaleel

Hi all.
    I am a taxi driver for the past 11yrs. Here is the breakdown of my earnings for u all to compare between driving taxi and uber:

I drive night shift from 5pm-5am (12hrs)
    But usually I knock of at 1am and will drive full shift only on Fri and Sat.

Total average earning per day: $220-$250 (Mon-Thurs)
    Total average earning per day on Fri and Sat: $250-$300
    Rental: $65 per day
    Petrol: Average $30 per day (Toyota Prius)
    Average earning $220 - rental $65 - petrol $30 = $125. Profit $125 per day on normal days. As for weekends average take home $180.
    Bear in mind i can Q in taxi stands and in Airports whereas Uber and Grabcar can't. Please make informed decision before joining. Thanks and God bless all

mosprockett likes this.
  7. powerocks

powerocks

jaleel thx for the great info. u left out few more points ;) let me just input for ya..

- taxi can take flag down
    - taxi has got fixed midnight/peak charge .
    -grabtaxi/uber taxi
    -on call

if want to rake in fares fast, uber confirm lose to taxi. uber is purely survive on thier incentives and guarantee , tats what i feel.

8. jaleel

jaleel

Tks for the input bro powerocks. I started driving taxi in 2004. And I hv never looked back. I've made this my career. There r alot of taxi drivers who will tell u that driving taxi u cannot make money. But trust me that is all lie. I drive only 6 days a week and off on Sundays. The $220 average I'm talking about is on a normal day. On a good day i can hit as high as $280 gross. The only hassle is the taxi course which you hv to go thru whereas Uber anyone with driving licence can join.