Uber Drivers Forum banner

Consecutive Trip Promotion

545 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dfw_driver 
#1 ·
Just kind of wondering what kind of stuff you guys and gals have been running into. I started the morning around 7 with surge pretty much in every direction, however I chose not to drive towards any of it bc we all know that often backfires. First ride is about 5-6 minutes away with a $3.75 surge. Pick pax up and head to destination accept ride before drop off. Second ride is 15 minutes/5.5 miles away with "possible pick-up premium", ends up being a mother taking her kid to school and back. Takes forever, I accept another ride before drop-off, it's only a block away thankfully. I pick up 3rd pax and take him to dominion and headquarters receive the $5.50 bonus. Not too excited about the multi stop school drop-off but at this point it's only been an hour and I'm at $25 so I'm not too mad.

I do two normal rides in the area which initiates another Consecutive Trip promotion because I'm still in the 8 o'clock hour. Heres the second instance of BS. Second ride is ended at 8:32 I wait 20 minutes online receive ride request at 8:52 drop off at 9:01, receive 2nd $5.50. Now the area I waited is dotted with hotels filled with corporate commuters and I did not receive a ping for 20 minutes which says to me that Uber wanted to make sure I didn't complete the promotion and start another before the hour was over.

I ended the 2 hours with $45 and close to home so it wasn't too bad however I'm interested to see what would happen If I turned off requests during every ride to see the difference. I don't really like declining rides because I feel like you end up on the algo sh%t list after 2-3 declines for a few hours. The whole promotion is designed to keep you in lackey mode since you have to stay on line and accept every ride in a sequence. What is usually best for Uber is not good for the driver in my experience. So it makes me wonder what will happen if I do the opposite.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just kind of wondering what kind of stuff you guys and gals have been running into. I started the morning around 7 with surge pretty much in every direction, however I chose not to drive towards any of it bc we all know that often backfires. First ride is about 5-6 minutes away with a $3.75 surge. Pick pax up and head to destination accept ride before drop off. Second ride is 15 minutes/5.5 miles away with "possible pick-up premium", ends up being a mother taking her kid to school and back. Takes forever, I accept another ride before drop-off, it's only a block away thankfully. I pick up 3rd pax and take him to dominion and headquarters receive the $5.50 bonus. Not too excited about the multi stop school drop-off but at this point it's only been an hour and I'm at $25 so I'm not too mad.

I do two normal rides in the area which initiates another Consecutive Trip promotion because I'm still in the 8 o'clock hour. Heres the second instance of BS. Second ride is ended at 8:32 I wait 20 minutes online receive ride request at 8:52 drop off at 9:01, receive 2nd $5.50. Now the area I waited is dotted with hotels filled with corporate commuters and I did not receive a ping for 20 minutes which says to me that Uber wanted to make sure I didn't complete the promotion and start another before the hour was over.

I ended the 2 hours with $45 and close to home so it wasn't too bad however I'm interested to see what would happen If I turned off requests during every ride to see the difference. I don't really like declining rides because I feel like you end up on the algo sh%t list after 2-3 declines for a few hours. The whole promotion is designed to keep you in lackey mode since you have to stay on line and accept every ride in a sequence. What is usually best for Uber is not good for the driver in my experience. So it makes me wonder what will happen if I do the opposite.

Any thoughts?
I usually just ignore the consecutive trips if it means I have to accept trips I do not want.

#4 ·
Just decline the ping. At least Uber gives you the choice right when the ping comes. Unlike Lyft which just throws it in there and if you don't remember to check it out before finishing the current ride, you are either taking it or if you don't want it, you need to cancel it and deal with the crap Lyft throws at you afterwards about the community relying on you for reliable service and what not. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
I firmly believe that the main (unstated) purpose of this Consecutive Trips thing is to have a way to coerce drivers into taking the super-awful rides because they are 2 into a 3-of-3 promotion and who would ever decline that?

It may be useful to think of "$4.00 for 3" promotion as $1.33 extra per ride. Is it worth all of the extra anting around to earn $1.33 per ride? Only you can decide this, of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.