Inshur

Congestion Charge is Discriminatory

Jack Barclay

Still part of the public transport system sorry. I am sure when BC accept jobs from COM CAB and get taxi they would still regard themselvs as still part of the public transport system. GO to Gresham street and argue it out with one of them, sorry facts. The private hire trade should have the fares set to make ph a more livable wage and the general public should pay a rate that is not cheaper than 30 years ago. that is a different issue for TFL.
“should” (in your opinion) isn't “Is”

You are privately hired you are not part of the public transport network
Post automatically merged:

There was a lot of pressure by the black cab trade put on TfL to take out a survey to court. Fact. If the black cab trade had not mentioned it then you couldn’t argue about any influence on TfL. But they didn’t. That’s my point.

There is no resentment apart from the anti-competitive tax on private hire. That’s what the thread is about. And it has been clearly explained. It cannot be legal. Now whether a judge agrees with that is Another thing. Judges are there to support the establishment. That’s why the courts are not open and easily accessible to the general public. Priced out. Legal aid cut massively. It is the privilege of the rich. In non-criminal cases.

I AL told their drivers to use the M4 bus lane, and all fines were cancelled. It was regarded as being anti competitive. The rights or wrongs or confusions that may come along with private hires using bus lanes irrelevant. It is anti competitive.fact
How about you buy a £55k WAV purpose built vehicle with no other choice and have your fares set by TFL if you are talking about being competitive?

Uber are being taxed, and competing group are not ?? Are you serious ???
Unlimited ph number has been given in last few years from 45k now over 110k you calling this competition ???
Uber pay no vat very little tax
It’s about a lot more than uber it’s the whole ph industry is being taken apart a lot of people rely on ph for trips to hostpitals doctors theatres ect this is uncompetitive having had to drop an elederly person on the marylabone road going to the princess grace hospital you realise that this is totally unfair to the passenger and driver discrimination dose not come into it this is beginning to resemble the fight against uber in the first place was from the wrong angle ie the taxi meter rather than the right to ply for hire which uber certainly do don’t make the same mistake challenge on anti competitive rules

I think the argument on the recist basis is ridiculous and stupid setting up for a fail, which ever barrister they got is no good enough.

PH transport the public under licence and compliance ... sorry about the facts.
Not fixed in your favour? May I refer you to all the litigation that came about when I recently tried to change the regulations regarding bus lanes. Not only that the punitive TFL investigations into Addison Lee before the case went to court.
there is no similarity between bus lanes and this black cabs need to be able to drive in them it’s not a competitive argument which a tax on private hire is you are deliberately making one journey more expensive than another thereby taking away publics choice

Last edited:
Can I ask your honest opinion..
Do you think taxi drivers not being able to use the extremely economic prius is anti competition?
Or taxis unable to pick up outside their licenced area..
Or taxi drivers going through years of study just to pick up the same passengers as you..
What do you reckon?

Yes I said that. Khan doesn't see us as public transport.
I don’t think licensed public hire should be available to use a Prius especially as there is now a better choice of vehicles to use not like the old day of the fairway or tx1 what the knowledge gives you is the right to ply for hire something that uber thinks it also has the private hire act in london was quite clear advanced booking with operators this is being totally ignored as have of course base pick ups from operators

It's a tax on all vehicles. The exemption is for wav's. Ph can also use wav's.
Why are 9 seaters exempt also electric and plug in hybrids the pollution angle I understand but some of the most polluting vehicles are 15 year old black cabs

Ubend R.S.

I don’t think licensed public hire should be available to use a Prius especially as there is now a better choice of vehicles to use
But isn't it anti competition? There are better cars than prius available for private hire but if tfl said every ph had to drive a Tesla or top of the range merc, that would be anti competition right? It would take your choice away of maximising your profits and mean working longer.
knowledge gives you is the right to ply for hire
As does Ola, Bolt and uber. No 3 years of study required. Anti competition?
Why are 9 seaters exempt also electric and plug in hybrids the pollution angle I understand but some of the most polluting vehicles are 15 year old black cabs
9 seaters, I'm not sure but guess the theory is 9 passengers in one vehicle cuts down on vehicles on the road.
Electric and plug in hybrids still create congestion but its part of the process. A sweetener (or crowbar) to convince drivers to make the change. Obviously when enough change the exemption will end.
I agree 12 year old cabs can be some of the most polluting but this is a congestion charge. Imagine if they said only the new LEVC taxis are exempt. There wouldnt be enough wav available for hire in the zone and taxis outside the zone refusing jobs or charging more than the meter. A legal headache for tfl and the orgs. There are still only just over 4000 levc sold. They used to sell 3500 new taxis a year but since 2018 only a fifth of taxis are electric. To put it simply if they said only electric wav's were exempt virtually all Taxis, ph and privately owned wav's would avoid the CC zone or charge wheelchair users more.

Reactions: Dov

MEATIE

You got proof of that?? Not historically but now???

As I've compared my price paid and customers, they tallied.
does a loss of 8.5 billion last year and a 2.5 billion in the last quarter sound as if they are in profit :smiles:

A little extract

In English, the money that Uber collects from fares isn't enough to pay for its revenue and operating costs; therefore, Uber loses money each quarter. ... But, by every possible “real” profit metric, Uber is deeply unprofitable. And that's simply due to it having a higher cost base than it does revenue generating capacity

Last edited:

R.M.Ahmad

Only lost $8.5 billion in 2019
They still have 60 - 8.5 =£51.5 billion to go, more than enough for 6 year, by the end of which you will get a free accommodation in city cemetery.At least you will not see Uber goes out of business. :laugh: :biggrin: :laugh: :biggrin: :laugh: :biggrin:

MEATIE

They still have 60 - 8.5 =£51.5 billion to go, more than enough for 6 year, by the end of which you will get a free accommodation in city cemetery.At least you will not see Uber goes out of business. :laugh: :biggrin: :laugh: :biggrin: :laugh: :biggrin:
Wrong on both counts ,ponzi schemes have a habit of sudden collapse and I am not intending to leave this world anytime soon :wink:

-JR-

Life is a gamble you take your chance
Lol. Yep. 9-sweaters receive 100% discount. But only until
TfL move the goal posts.

As soon as there are too many of us not paying they will move that carrot just out of reach.

The house always wins.

You are just not grasping this "private hire" thing , p/h rates are nothing to do with TFL they don't regulate them ,private hire fares as the name suggests are a pre arranged amount set between the driver and the customer .
Yep. And a good operator will simply pass the CC cost onto the customer. Just like any other parking fees incurred in the course of carrying out the job. Simples.

Last edited:
Lol. Yep. 9-sweaters receive 100% discount. But only until
TfL move the goal posts.

As soon as there are too many of us not paying they will move that carrot just out of reach.

The house always wins.

Yep. And a good operator will simply pass the CC cost onto the customer. Just like any other parking fees incurred in the course of carrying out the job. Simples.
Operators are only interested in themselves most companies may have raised there fares by maybe a pound or two personally I charge the c/ c on to customer but obviously it makes black cabs more attractive to some there are customers were price is not the main factor but they are getting fewer £15 only the start £25 coming and then who knows

Ubend R.S.

So the appeal court heard today 'private hire drivers are more like plumbers or window cleaners that need to drive through the CC, than black cab drivers'.

The defence stated black cabs are compelled to take jobs 6 miles from charring x and due to their regulated fares can't charge more than the meter. Ph however aren't compelled to take any job but when doing so can charge what they like.

Interesting angle.