• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Confused, Upset, and angry

mbrezjr

Hi- I received a notice form Uber stating my driver account has now been suspended because a rider notified them I was driving while intoxicated. I know this is false because I don't drink at all. I tried to reach someone at Uber through messaging but all I received was a message stating the decision was non reversible. I then replied threatening legal action and received a call back in less than 5 minutes. The person on the phone only stated they would take my side of the story and that was it, no reinstating of my account because they had video evidence that I was walking out of a bar drunk that evening, which is totally false since I don't drink or go in bars. The person then stated that because I signed off my account for a couple of hours that evening and then signed back on, that was all they needed to confirm it. I asked if I had any way to see this supposed video and he said the only way they would respond again is if a law enforcement officer sent a information request. They would not be required to respond to my attorney or anyone else on this matter. I get they need to take accusations seriously, but to not even give me an opportunity to defend myself is upsetting and making me angry.
Has anyone else been falsely accused like this and had any recourse in getting reinstated? I find it crazy that I have no way of defending myself with Uber at all unless I file a police report on someone and I don't even know who it is. I'm not even sure the police would take such a claim without any other information and make the request for the supposed video. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Driving and Driven

Assuming there's legal aid in his city. Do you know how much an attorney cost?
An attorney suited to the job would not even charge you. They would be confident enough that they would collect attorney fees from the defendant when they win, or take a loss if they actually lost for whatever reason.

Alternatively, go with a pre-paid legal account. That isn't that expensive and well worth it.

They automatically find the best attorney for the task when you approach them with your issue.

circle1

Yes, what Driving said^. There are "simple" procedures that can force any party to turn over the name(s) of the accuser, especially since this impacts your business and ability to support yourself.

PepeLePiu

You can also ask to subpoena the person who reported you and take it to court for slander. He/she will be forced to show the video.

The person on the phone only stated they would take my side of the story and that was it, no reinstating of my account because they had video evidence that I was walking out of a bar drunk that evening, which is totally false since I don't drink or go in bars. The person then stated that because I signed off my account for a couple of hours that evening and then signed back on, that was all they needed to confirm it.
How in the heck a pax is able to get you on video and then two hours later get you again? Check around and see who might have a grievance against you, is highly unlikely that a pax will even think about the Uber driver as the pivot on their lives. I think is highly possible someone is out there to mess you up. The court and a nice lawsuit for defamation of character and slander will uncover the mystery.

I wish you the best of luck.

Frontier Guy

Contact your state employment office, explain that you were wrongfully terminated and what the reason is, and that Uber will not cooperate with you. Also contact your states regulatory office for TNC companies, let them know what is happening. I will also DM you a third suggestion. Also, go to your local media, TV and newspaper, if you were truly wrongfully terminated, I'm certain your local TV stations have a consumer advocate or consumer investigation reporter who'd love a story like this.

rubidoux

Im sorry, OP. Thats a nightmare. :frown:

Has this happened to other people? Ive only had one really unpleasant ride out of approx 600 and it was a really drunk woman who accused me of being drunk and wouldnt let it go. I hadnt had anything to drink in days. I worried about it for a week after. I hate how easy it is for pax to hurt us if it strikes their fancy.

Paul Vincent

Tortious interference, also known as intentional interference with contractual relations, in the common law of torts, occurs when one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm.

File a claim, name Uber party to the suit. I don't know how much it cost to file a claim in your state.

disp350

Anyone wonder why this company lost 2.8 billion last year? So what, if I stop home for an hour for dinner, now they will think that I am drinking? Ask them what you're driving stats showed from that day? If you were nearly perfect on your braking and acceleration, point that out and ask how you managed to do that if you were under the influence. And do yourself a favor and get a dashcam that at least shows enough of you so you have more proof. Plus it CYA

Coachman

It sucks when you get a bad passenger like that but look at what damage that one idiot on United Airlines was able to do. He probably cost three good security officers their jobs not to mention tens or hundreds of millions of bad press for the airline.

Anyone wonder why this company lost 2.8 billion last year? So what, if I stop home for an hour for dinner, now they will think that I am drinking?
Realistically, what do you expect Uber to do when they get a report of an intoxicated driver? Is it appropriate to suspend pending an investigation? What kind of resources should they expend on the investigation? How much manpower? How much legal time?

disp350

Realistically, what do you expect Uber to do when they get a report of an intoxicated driver? Is it appropriate to suspend pending an investigation? What kind of resources should they expend on the investigation? How much manpower? How much legal time?
Last time I checked in the US, you were considered innocent of any charges until proven guilty. With Uber, anytime a drivers sneezes the wrong way and passenger complains, its the other way around. You have to prove your innocent with very little to assist you. The Napoleonic code went out back in the 1800's in Eurpoe

Red Leader

It sucks when you get a bad passenger like that but look at what damage that one idiot on United Airlines was able to do. He probably cost three good security officers their jobs not to mention tens or hundreds of millions of bad press for the airline.

As much as is needed to prove their case. And they need to be transparent with the evidence. When you malign someone's reputation, you best have your ducks in a row. Otherwise, the penalty should be extremely severe.

I would love to see an Uber lawyer show up in court and say.....we don't have to show you the video. You just need to take our word for it.

That will work out well.

Delivery Mr.Guy

The man is doctor and you called him idiot. The 3 bad security drag him with artificial tortured and you call the 3 good one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coachman

The man is doctor and you called him idiot. The 3 bad security drag him with artificial tortured and you call the 3 good one.
You realize this good doctor had his medical license suspended for ten years for illegally dispensing pain killers in addition to having a criminal conviction for trading drugs for sex. He's a creep and he's a flake. While his medical license was suspended he eked out a living by playing semi-professional poker. He's obviously not very good at calling a bluff.

Chauffeur_James

I don't think it would be very hard or expensive for them to setup a protocol that if you are reported, especially if the passenger claims that they just rode with you and you were drunk. They could stop your account and send you a popup that says you were reported and that if you go to a police department immediately and submit to a breathalyzer and have it documented and if there is absolutely nothing in your system then you are cleared to go back out. If they Pax decides to report this the next day or something then this scenario doesn't work. But it would be something that could help

Coachman

I don't think it would be very hard or expensive for them to setup a protocol that if you are reported, especially if the passenger claims that they just rode with you and you were drunk. They could stop your account and send you a popup that says you were reported and that if you go to a police department immediately and submit to a breathalyzer and have it documented and if there is absolutely nothing in your system then you are cleared to go back out. If they Pax decides to report this the next day or something then this scenario doesn't work. But it would be something that could help
I've never heard of anybody walking into a police station and asking for a breathalyzer. lol

Maybe the ER?

Chauffeur_James

I've never heard of anybody walking into a police station and asking for a breathalyzer. lol

Maybe the ER?
Someone on another forum said they did it because Uber said the same thing. It didn't help his case, but if you could do that there could be somewhat of a solution.

FL_Dex

I asked if I had any way to see this supposed video and he said the only way they would respond again is if a law enforcement officer sent a information request.
You could talk to the cops on the off chance one might take pity on you and request the video. Before I did that I'd make sure that I had all my information together to make it as easy as possible to help you out and do as little as possible on the paperwork. Cops are people, too. My friends on the force would help me out but not everyone has buddies in blue. Sometimes, if they have probies or academy students doing a practical at the station, they'll pass off something like this to them.

It would be better if there was some kind of possible criminal angle, like blackmail or extortion. Maybe a pax said something that sounded vaguely threatening. You can say you believe there may be a crime involved here but don't lie. It's a civil matter and that's likely the answer the cops will give you but it's worth a shot.

You can only try that route if your own background and record is lilly f'ing white. Otherwise, a lawyer is your best bet.

Go4

You realize this good doctor had his medical license suspended for ten years for illegally dispensing pain killers in addition to having a criminal conviction for trading drugs for sex. He's a creep and he's a flake. While his medical license was suspended he eked out a living by playing semi-professional poker. He's obviously not very good at calling a bluff.
How does what he did in the past matter? Do you think he scammed this whole thing?
Or are saying it is OK to rape him, look at what he was wearing. Always blame the victim. Very cool thing to do.