Compulsory Driver Accreditation? Can we discuss this?

Are we shafted?

• Ye

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Chirsg

"As part of the Victorian Government's new rideshare regulations, every Uber Driver Partner will need to have a Driver Accreditation (DA), a special form of license issued by the Taxi Services Commission (TSC) for ridesharing drivers."

I'm no professional and I am in fact not learned in this field, but from what I gather, we're getting shafted hard. Can someone explain to me how we are getting shafted, because I personally have no idea what this means.

weekendnightdriver

If you have had victorian full license for more than 6 months and don’t have history of child sex abuse, you will get it in 3 weeks.

Uber may pay $76 + $100 for application and medical check up. Or you pay for it, which is tax deductible.

What’s the problem here?

Chirsg

If you have had victorian full license for more than 6 months and don’t have history of child sex abuse, you will get it in 3 weeks.

Uber may pay $76 + $100 for application and medical check up. Or you pay for it, which is tax deductible.

What’s the problem here?
I've read that taxi DA's cost thousands.

Also, from this moment, Am I not able to work until I get a DA?

Solarman

from what I gather, we're getting shafted hard. Can someone explain to me how we are getting shafted, because I personally have no idea what this means.
We aren't getting shafted. It's part and parcel of being a ride share driver. It's the law. My DA medical was $0.00. Only the application fee of $73.00 was paid and it's a tax deduction, so no big deal.

Chirsg

Am I not able to work until I get a DA?

Also, $173? That sounds too good to be true. What is this business about taxi drivers having to pay $20000?

Wesky

Something unrelated.

DA will set you back $74 plus whatever the Doc charges you for the medical. I've heard some do it for 0 and mine charged $120.

No more to pay.

Uber's official word up until 1 week ago is that a DA isn't needed. You'd be silly not to get on to it without delay.

weekendnightdriver

I've read that taxi DA's cost thousands.

You are seeing the wrong part of the fees.

http://taxi.vic.gov.au/drivers/fees-and-charges

New Application for Driver Accreditation
$73.20

What is this business about taxi drivers having to pay $20000?
That's the fee for this plate. It give you the right to street hail and access to taxi rank.

New_Vic_Taxi_Plate.jpg

Drivers without DA can't drive Uber from today?

Homebrand Taxi

Just go to the TSC office or do it online. Not nearly as costly as you believe and pretty straightforward. Once you have it, go to the Uber office and they will scan it. Then you can drive. Then they will scam and sham it....

Chirsg

Just go to the TSC office or do it online. Not nearly as costly as you believe and pretty straightforward. Once you have it, go to the Uber office and they will scan it. Then you can drive. Then they will scam and sham it....
I've just applied. FFS I hope I get it free. Uber is such a headache of a scam. Can't fkn win.

Tom2828

Also, $173? That sounds too good to be true. What is this business about taxi drivers having to pay $20000?
That's the fine you'll get if the TSC will catch you at the airport without DA.

Wesky

In fact, so simple - Uber's website will prefill the application for you.

You're a business. You come across as a seemingly intelligent [your little Grammer lesson] individual. May I take this opportunity to provide you with some encouragement? Research the trade you wish to invest in! The DA is not rocket science; hell, I even worked it out. The hardest part is waiting. I've previously given you an overview, which is ample hand-holding. Research research research. Google - 'taxi vic hire car accreditation'.

Lock the thread!

Ps: not directed at UXDriver.

weekendnightdriver

That's why I'm asking. It was never ever stated until yesterday that I even needed a driver's accreditation. I didn't even know what it was until I received the text from Uber.

Honestly, I don't know why you have to be such a know it all smartarse. I don't know these new laws they decided to make out of nowhere seemingly to regulate rideshare which seems to currently be the biggest threat on Australian soil.

Also, if you're trying to be condescending, try using proper punctuation. Full stops, question marks, commas, etc. The stuff 6 year olds learn in primary school.
Don't be offended nor take it personal. The one whom the guys here are pissed off at is Uber which does not let the newbies know their obligations rather than innocent ignorant newbie ants who are willing to work long hours at an unsustainable low rate.

BTW, are you covered by a motor vehicle insurance which covers rideshare? In Victoria, only Allianz covers rideshare and they hiked their premium 50% this year.

Chirsg

Don't be offended nor take it personal. The one whom the guys here are pissed off at is Uber which does not let the newbies know their obligations rather than innocent ignorant newbie ants who are willing to work long hours at an unsustainable low rate.

BTW, are you covered by a motor vehicle insurance which covers rideshare? In Victoria, only Allianz covers rideshare and they hiked their premium 50% this year.
Yeah I'm covered by Allianz Rideshare. I've got an ABN and registered for GST. But I don't think this info is relevant to DA which is my only concern as of now.