• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Complaining about the complainers

tomatopaste

I disagree with those saying: if you don't like Uber, then quit. Life doesn't work like that, and shouldn't work like that. If you're having issues with your spouse, is the answer to just get a divorce? Kids acting up, abandon them?

Uber does a lot of thing right and the fixes to the system are obvious. The problem is Uber is run by children and these type of people will exploit drivers as long as drivers allow themselves to be exploited. Uber brass are sitting in the boardroom laughing at just how far they've been able to push drivers. The answer is not to quit but to fight them every step of the way. Even if you just stay to fight, you're doing the right thing. Don't allow Uber to keep the land mines in place for the next group of unsuspecting newbies. Drivers that know what's wrong with the system need to expose it and help clean up the mess.

Back it up Uber

I disagree with those saying: if you don't like Uber, then quit. Life doesn't work like that, and shouldn't work like that. If you're having issues with your spouse, is the answer to just get a divorce? Kids acting up, abandon them?

Uber does a lot of thing right and the fixes to the system are obvious. The problem is Uber is run by children and these type of people will exploit drivers as long as drivers allow themselves to be exploited. Uber brass are sitting in the boardroom laughing at just how far they've been able to push drivers. The answer is not to quit but to fight them every step of the way. Even if you just stay to fight, you're doing the right thing. Don't allow Uber to keep the land mines in place for the next group of unsuspecting newbies. Drivers that know what's wrong with the system need to expose it and help clean up the mess.
It's the type of complaints these days that makes it ridiculous. I will you your example of issues with your spouse/marriage so you can understand.

New drivers that come on here complaining about rates and every other little thing is similar to having an issue with every little thing about your spouse even though that's who they were from the first day you got together.

Complaints and stories about screwing over paxs is like having a problem with your spouse and taking it out on your kids.

Stories about screwing over Uber is like having a problem with your spouse and deciding to cheat on them to get back at them.

This site has been around for years and used to have legitimate complaints but now it's just about trying to screw pax and uber over.

Back it up Uber

It should be a career....

In Orlandoish, two people can make a living year round sharing 1 taxi... (bringing in about $150,000+ between the two) (about 130,000 miles a year driven)

It shouldn't be a difference doing uber.
Uber wasn't even meant to be a full-time job. The only people doing Uber full-time are people who are in between jobs to stay afloat.

tohunt4me

Uber wasn't even meant to be a full-time job. The only people doing Uber full-time are people who are in between jobs to stay afloat.
Uber wasnt meant to compete with taxi.

Uber was meant to be " RIDE SHARE"

Is ANYONE HERE SHARING A RIDE ?

No. You are driving like a taxi for profit.

So lets not talk about what " UBER WAS MEANT TO BE"

Because uber is nothing like what it was meant to be.

Last edited:

Andretti

Sorry, but Uber and family are a false equivalence.

Uber isn't even a "job", IMO.

It's an app. Use it for your needs, and take from it what you need. If it helps you, use it. If not, don't. If you use it, use it to your advantage and profit. Just act in an ethical framework with the pax.

I absolutely love having the option to turn it on-or-off at my whim and profit. I only work the times and places that are worth my while. But I do have multiple sources of income giving me the freedom to do this.

As much as I respect the guys that do this full-time as their only source of income, and I do very much respect them, if I had only this 60 or 70 hours a week as my sole family income I'd probably hop to something else in due time. For the car depreciation alone, I think I'd have to leave ...

So lets mot talk about what " UBER WAS MEANT TO BE"

Exactly, Uber is a cut-rate pirate taxi service. To call it anything else is pure bullshit.

Back it up Uber

So lets mot talk about what " UBER WAS MEANT TO BE"

I stand by my comment. Most riders for Uber for the first few years were people that didn't ride in taxis in the first place.

Mars Troll Number 4

Uber was first called UBERTAXI and taxi was dropped.

Uber was also first liscensed Black car Services,

This idea was also dropped.

So uber WAS originally meant to be a career,

LA_Native

Of course "Ubering" (driving for pay) is a job. To say otherwise, is to misunderstand the meaning of the word "job."
As far as complaining/quitting: I agree with OP. People rarely are "all or nothing." If prices rise, people usually consume less. If wages fall, people tend to work less. And I think that's going to happen. I doubt I'll quit outright, but with less compensation for my work with Uber, I think I'll value my leisure time greater than .67/mile & .11/min and work a lot less with Uber.

Spotscat

30+ years as an OTR truck driver, and I see a lot of the same problems with Uber and Lyft that I've seen in the trucking industry --

Management who doesn't understand what drivers want or need to successfully do their jobs and doesn't care because they are out of touch with life on the street. Drivers who work long hours at low pay, and continually have to find creative ways to "bend" the rules in order to make an extra buck or two. Managers who think that drivers are a necessary evil, a resource to be controlled and that the only way to operate is "by the book". Drivers who think that they are above reproach for anything because they are drivers, and don't understand that this is a company trying to provide a service for a profit.

Too many drivers in one geographical area, which drives prices down - good for the customers, bad for the company and drivers. Too few drivers in a different geographical area, which makes service spotty and raises rates - bad for customers, good for the company and drivers in the short-term.

I don't say this to be hateful, but if a driver isn't happy here... they should leave.

I say this not to push malcontent drivers away, but until the turnover rate among Uber/Lyft drivers approaches that of the trucking industry (as high as 200% at some companies), no changes will be made that benefit drivers. The smart trucking companies have realized that it is in their best interest to have a stable workforce, and do almost everything they possibly can to increase driver retention.

Last edited:

Andretti

30+ years as an OTR truck driver, and I see a lot of the same problems with Uber and Lyft that I've seen in the trucking industry --

Management who doesn't understand what want or need to successfully do their jobs and doesn't care because they are out of touch with life on the street. Drivers who work long hours at low pay, and continually have to find creative ways to "bend" the rules in order to make an extra buck or two. Managers who think that drivers are a necessary evil, a resource to be controlled and that the only way to operate is "by the book". Drivers who think that they are above reproach for anything because they are drivers, and don't understand that this is a company trying to provide a service for a profit.

Too many drivers in one geographical area, which drives prices down - good for the customers, bad for the company and drivers. Too few drivers in a different geographical area, which makes service spotty and raises rates - bad for customers, good for the company and drivers in the short-term.

I don't say this to be hateful, but if a driver isn't happy here... they should leave.

I say this not to push malcontent drivers away, but until the turnover rate among Uber/Lyft drivers approaches that of the trucking industry (as high as 200% at some companies), no changes will be made that benefit drivers. The smart trucking companies have realized that it is in their best interest to have a stable workforce, and do almost everything they possibly can to increase driver retention.
I wouldn't doubt if rideshare turnover is higher than that.

Six month average duration would be 200%, no?

I'm speaking of active driving, rather than simply having the app available on one's phone.

swingset

Are you actually comparing a low-skilled, should-be-part-time job with a commitment to be married, or raise children?

Why yes, yes you are.

If ANY job is unsatisfactory, you take your skill set and shop it to a better business where you will make more, or get better treatment. That is PRECISELY how life works, and should work, and if people did this instead of whining on an internet forum, then things would change for not only them but for Uber because they'd lose too many drivers and their business would be impacted.

I've worked 20+ jobs in my life, and Uber is a part time gig and nothing more. The instant it's not profitable or worth doing, I'm gone without a second thought. Every time a job has been crappy, or the management unresponsive, I did the best thing I could which was to quit and improve my situation.

That's the most basic building block to success, how is it you are fighting against this concept? How did you never learn this?

charmer37

Amen to that!

Sorry, but Uber and family are a false equivalence.

Uber isn't even a "job", IMO.

It's an app. Use it for your needs, and take from it what you need. If it helps you, use it. If not, don't. If you use it, use it to your advantage and profit. Just act in an ethical framework with the pax.

I absolutely love having the option to turn it on-or-off at my whim and profit. I only work the times and places that are worth my while. But I do have multiple sources of income giving me the freedom to do this.

As much as I respect the guys that do this full-time as their only source of income, and I do very much respect them, if I had only this 60 or 70 hours a week as my sole family income I'd probably hop to something else in due time. For the car depreciation alone, I think I'd have to leave ...

Exactly, Uber is a cut-rate pirate taxi service. To call it anything else is pure bullshit.
illegal cab at it's finest.

tohunt4me

Are you actually comparing a low-skilled, should-be-part-time job with a commitment to be married, or raise children?

Why yes, yes you are.

If ANY job is unsatisfactory, you take your skill set and shop it to a better business where you will make more, or get better treatment. That is PRECISELY how life works, and should work, and if people did this instead of whining on an internet forum, then things would change for not only them but for Uber because they'd lose too many drivers and their business would be impacted.

I've worked 20+ jobs in my life, and Uber is a part time gig and nothing more. The instant it's not profitable or worth doing, I'm gone without a second thought. Every time a job has been crappy, or the management unresponsive, I did the best thing I could which was to quit and improve my situation.

That's the most basic building block to success, how is it you are fighting against this concept? How did you never learn this?
Two guys with an iq of 60 between them can get married.
Skills ?

Why yes, yes you are.

Ive got you topped on jobs.
I built navy ships by day and was events waiter at Colliseum at night.
I have had variety in jobs.

Uber could have provided a decent living without constant tampering from management.

I have quit jobs at lunch and drug screened for the next one after dropping off uniforms.

Even got paid 40 hours a week garuntee for a job we never worked at for a spinoff tax write off company.

Ive had time tickets for 2 companies signed off on same day for 12 hours each and spent most of the day at the house.

If i woke up on an oil platform,they were paying me for a 12 hour day. I dont care if the helicopter had me on land at 6 am !

Maybe where YOU uber its low skilled.
Not where i work.

sellkatsell44

I think it is a fine line.

On one hand, yes, you shouldn't just quit on a whim or because suddenly things get too hard.

At the same time, if something you've worked at over and over isn't yielding any better results--why would you continue beating on a dead horse? I suppose, the amount of work you put into fighting it, should correlate with how much of a care/impact it has.

*if* you are in a market where there is little else for work and/or flexibility, it makes more sense.

if you're in somewhere where there are more job listings, it doesn't make as much sense.

Try to think of it in the long run: is uber sustainable until you retire? If you work at it for a few years, what would you do after? what skill sets would working at uber, enable you to get another job/change of career if you're not going to school or taking classes while ubering?

tomatopaste

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's the type of complaints these days that makes it ridiculous. I will you your example of issues with your spouse/marriage so you can understand.

New drivers that come on here complaining about rates and every other little thing is similar to having an issue with every little thing about your spouse even though that's who they were from the first day you got together.

Complaints and stories about screwing over paxs is like having a problem with your spouse and taking it out on your kids.

Stories about screwing over Uber is like having a problem with your spouse and deciding to cheat on them to get back at them.

This site has been around for years and used to have legitimate complaints but now it's just about trying to screw pax and uber over.
My guess is things changed on here the same time Uber reduced fares to unrealistic levels. You have people on here complaining about not being able to drive for lack of gas money or they don't have the money to fix their car.

I could never run a company like this. The sad part is Uber built a better mouse trap, then they tried to turn it into something it's not.

All those complainers are the drivers who actually think this is a career. LOL
It should be a career....

In Orlandoish, two people can make a living year round sharing 1 taxi... (bringing in about $150,000+ between the two) (about 130,000 miles a year driven)

It shouldn't be a difference doing uber.
This is true. Drivers should be making $75k net. The demand and money is there. But not when you try to turn it into a private car service for 10 yr olds going to their friends' house

Rideshare is a misnomer, intentionally to get around regulations (which I'm not entirely against) but let's be honest, rideshare is and also has been nothing more than a taxi service with better technology

tohunt4me

My guess is things changed on here the same time Uber reduced fares to unrealistic levels. You have people on here complaining about not being able to drive for lack of gas money or they don't have the money to fix their car.

I could never run a company like this. The sad part is Uber built a better mouse trap, then they tried to turn it into something it's not.

This is true. Drivers should be making $75k net. The demand and money is there. But not when you try to turn it into a private car service for 10 yr olds going to their friends' house

Rideshare is a misnomer, intentionally to get around regulations (which I'm not entirely against) but let's be honest, rideshare is and also has been nothing more than a taxi service with better technology
Only so many things you can get around.
Especially once a Backslider Reputation has been earned.

" you can fool some of the people all of tbe time, you cant fool all of the people all of the time".

This stuff builds and snowballs.

Uber is yodeling in Avalanche country.

rembrandt

There is no ideal profession. Every profession has people who are not content with what they experience. If Travis kalanick was content with being a month to month paycheck programmer , Uber would not exist today. Travis decided to become his own boss and he accomplished it. You need to take control of your fate yourselves. Everyone is free to do whatever he/she wishes. Only in a Utopian world , other will change for you. Life is not fair by all mean , life is Darwinian survival of the fittests. The weakest go extinct , unfortunately. If someone steals one dollar from you , you should rob three dollars from that thief and that is not going to happen by begging.