Complain to I-Team, get a $925 Uber refund

Mapnik

I'd like to know what the driver made... Uber sure as hell hopes nobody asks that question, just hand back over the money and smile, because "surge" pricing is supposed to be about driver scarcity, not willingness-to-pay. The fact that they price it on w-t-p is the same as a cab driver profiling riders and increasing the rate based on any number of factors. But if the driver made base, then we know for a fact the issue wasn't "surge"/scarcity.

Mad Medic

I'd like to know what the driver made... Uber sure as hell hopes nobody asks that question, just hand back over the money and smile, because "surge" pricing is supposed to be about driver scarcity, not willingness-to-pay. The fact that they price it on w-t-p is the same as a cab driver profiling riders and increasing the rate based on any number of factors. But if the driver made base, then we know for a fact the issue wasn't "surge"/scarcity.
Yes indeed. Funny that the lady also left a $4 tip on her app from a $952 fare. Guess every $100 bucks is worth a fifty cent tip. Hah!

On one hand it should teach passengers to quit changing their destinations, having drivers make detours and stops. This Uber driver also screwed up by just driving where ever without requesting pax to change destination. You're going to see more pax bashlash from upfront pricing based upon what they enter pre ride opposed to where they actually convince their driver to go.

If was surge (good chance at recent Tinley Park concerts) the driver actually had an obligation to inform the pax that an additional 93 miles at surge rates would cost her a pretty penny. Driver knew if he/she had a 3x or 4x surge. We know when we have the surge. Note - Lady says she was charged 8 times what she was qouted. Uber stated she was quoted based upon a trip with 93 less miles. Hmmm, wouldn't be too hard for myself or another Uber driver to do a little math and figure out the approx surge rate plugging in the numbers 93 extra miles pax charged 8 times her upfront pricing fare. I'm too tired to figure it out. Plus, wasn't my fare.

Drivers take this as a lesson. Stop just saying "Yes" when people change destinations. Half are playing you. The other half are scamming the upfront pricing. They've figured out all they have to do is dispute the charge and Uber caves.

Tinley Park to one destination and then all the way to O'hare? Many drivers would have declined going the extra 93 miles at base. Something tells me this driver knew it was a surge fare AND thought he hooked a whale, smelled his payday. That being said, driver should still receive his fare. Driver did provide the service that was requested. The pax didn't dispute the trip details, other than it's cost.

On the other hand, drivers can kiss good surge goodbye for a while. ABC 7 I Team stories will prompt city of Chicago officials to take notice, weaponize the story against Uber and it's drivers hence it would be awesome if Uber drivers, lots of them, began to immediately call into the I Team line saying how much Uber rips them off also. ABC would love nothing more than a good follow up to one of it's investigative reports. Perfect opportunity for driver's to jump on the bandwagon of how Uber " rips people off". Afterall, drivers are people too and Uber rips us off. What an opportunity to have the media get our message out, how even with surge, drivers don't make the money - Uber does. How drivers would much rather NOT have to chase a surge in order to make minimum wage for the week but drivers would much rather receive a little better base rate without giving Uber up to 40% of each fare in addition to all of a drivers out of pocket, non reimbursed weekly expenses.

I'm dreaming right? Isn't that what we want though, people to hear OUR story? People to stop believing that Uber drivers net over $25 an hour?. People to know that the drivers shouldn't shoulder any of the blame for Uber's fees passed to customers but not given to the drivers?

It's the situation we'd love to see, piggybacking a news story with a follow up news story going after Uber. Only this time, poor perception wouldn't be against Uber and it's drivers. This time it would only be against Uber while hopefully actually mustering up public support for it's poorly compensated driver partners. Turn it into a story about how the big rideshare company not only screws it's cuatomers, it also screws over it's labor force.

I'm dreaming right? I'm not afraid to call Chuck Gowdy and the ABC 7 I Team. Are you? Unfortunately 1 call most likely wouldn't garnish their attention. Three hundred in the next three days on the other hand WOULD.

We love to gripe on this forum. Love to bad mouth and complain so why not put your money where your mouth is? Call ABC and say " I saw your recent story on Uber" "I too have a story to tell about how Uber rips off not only it's customers but they also rip off a large number of unsuspecting drivers". Like I said, 1 call does nothing. Three hundred at least grabs their attention,even if only for a moment.

Power in numbers people. Power in numbers.

Dreaming right? OK. Then it's time for Mad to go back to sleep.

Regards all,
Mad M

chitown73

Yes indeed. Funny that the lady also left a $4 tip on her app from a $952 fare. Guess every $100 bucks is worth a fifty cent tip. Hah!

On one hand it should teach passengers to quit changing their destinations, having drivers make detours and stops. This Uber driver also screwed up by just driving where ever without requesting pax to change destination. You're going to see more pax bashlash from upfront pricing based upon what they enter pre ride opposed to where they actually convince their driver to go.

If was surge (good chance at recent Tinley Park concerts) the driver actually had an obligation to inform the pax that an additional 93 miles at surge rates would cost her a pretty penny. Driver knew if he/she had a 3x or 4x surge. We know when we have the surge. Note - Lady says she was charged 8 times what she was qouted. Uber stated she was quoted based upon a trip with 93 less miles. Hmmm, wouldn't be too hard for myself or another Uber driver to do a little math and figure out the approx surge rate plugging in the numbers 93 extra miles pax charged 8 times her upfront pricing fare. I'm too tired to figure it out. Plus, wasn't my fare.

Drivers take this as a lesson. Stop just saying "Yes" when people change destinations. Half are playing you. The other half are scamming the upfront pricing. They've figured out all they have to do is dispute the charge and Uber caves.

Tinley Park to one destination and then all the way to O'hare? Many drivers would have declined going the extra 93 miles at base. Something tells me this driver knew it was a surge fare AND thought he hooked a whale, smelled his payday. That being said, driver should still receive his fare. Driver did provide the service that was requested. The pax didn't dispute the trip details, other than it's cost.

On the other hand, drivers can kiss good surge goodbye for a while. ABC 7 I Team stories will prompt city of Chicago officials to take notice, weaponize the story against Uber and it's drivers hence it would be awesome if Uber drivers, lots of them, began to immediately call into the I Team line saying how much Uber rips them off also. ABC would love nothing more than a good follow up to one of it's investigative reports. Perfect opportunity for driver's to jump on the bandwagon of how Uber " rips people off". Afterall, drivers are people too and Uber rips us off. What an opportunity to have the media get our message out, how even with surge, drivers don't make the money - Uber does. How drivers would much rather NOT have to chase a surge in order to make minimum wage for the week but drivers would much rather receive a little better base rate without giving Uber up to 40% of each fare in addition to all of a drivers out of pocket, non reimbursed weekly expenses.

I'm dreaming right? Isn't that what we want though, people to hear OUR story? People to stop believing that Uber drivers net over $25 an hour?. People to know that the drivers shouldn't shoulder any of the blame for Uber's fees passed to customers but not given to the drivers?

It's the situation we'd love to see, piggybacking a news story with a follow up news story going after Uber. Only this time, poor perception wouldn't be against Uber and it's drivers. This time it would only be against Uber while hopefully actually mustering up public support for it's poorly compensated driver partners. Turn it into a story about how the big rideshare company not only screws it's cuatomers, it also screws over it's labor force.

I'm dreaming right? I'm not afraid to call Chuck Gowdy and the ABC 7 I Team. Are you? Unfortunately 1 call most likely wouldn't garnish their attention. Three hundred in the next three days on the other hand WOULD.

We love to gripe on this forum. Love to bad mouth and complain so why not put your money where your mouth is? Call ABC and say " I saw your recent story on Uber" "I too have a story to tell about how Uber rips off not only it's customers but they also rip off a large number of unsuspecting drivers". Like I said, 1 call does nothing. Three hundred at least grabs their attention,even if only for a moment.

Regards all,
Mad M
Just an FYI... I actually did contact the Chicago Tribune about their recent article touting the recent changes to UberPool rates and Uber's claim how their paying us more for taking Pool rides. I told them they need to get ALL of the facts about the other so called changes that Uber has supposedly made to help it's drivers and then quickly taken away. I got 1 email reply back asking for more information on what other changes Uber has made under its "180 days of change" campaign and taken away, I told them how the whole 180 days... has just been marketing/pr hype and they've just ignored everything. The media picks and chooses what it decides to run, they don't want facts. Only headlines and ratings.

Zuber7

Regards all,
Mad M
You should organize a day where we all go on strike. Get the word out there. Have them call the i-team, voice their opinion, and mention a date. If the date of a possible strike gets tv time, more people would follow through. Let the i-team do the marketing for us....

Ok, maybe I'm dreaming too....

bpm45

the article quoted Uber as saying "We are proud to provide safe, reliable rides for all Chicagoans and encourage riders to input all desired stops into the app upfront to receive a correct fare estimate." WTF? How does a rider input all stops? My understanding of the rider app is that the rider specifies one and only one destination.

WestSubDriver

The media loves to prey on outrage. Would be nice to see them do a piece on upfront pricing to educate the public how much their driver is really making on that airport trip that Uber charged them $60 for.

Bigbadb91

This is what I replied in the comments with, highly doubt it’ll do anything though

Attachments

• 54347B90-1AD4-45CE-85C2-894DE116E0B6.jpeg
    54347B90-1AD4-45CE-85C2-894DE116E0B6.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 55

mkxr

I hope the driver's earning remained untouched, and (s)he gets to take a day off. Did this rider really think that adding 93 miles to the trip after it began was going to be free?
On another note, this could be a good thing. If more riders see this as a way of getting out of paying for surge rides, maybe more of them will begin taking long surge rides in the first place.

Oh, and no way does the driver have any responsibility to inform the rider about extra costs, because the driver doesn't charge the rider directly.

Last edited:

Prius13

Did you agree to this?
Lady: No I did not.
Ummm...yes you did lol

You can not just change adddress and expect price to be the same
Amen.

I hope the driver's earning remained untouched, and (s)he gets to take a day off. Did this rider really think that adding 93 miles to the trip after it began was going to be free?
On another note, this could be a good thing. If more riders see this as a way of getting out of paying for surge rides, maybe more of them will begin taking long surge rides in the first place.

Oh, and no way does the driver have any responsibility to inform the rider about extra costs, because the driver doesn't charge the rider directly.
I completely agree, the onus is on the pax. Then again, Uber has engendered paxes not to think critically. Lastly, most paxes ought to take the Cta or Pace bus.

Zap

Did you agree to this?
Lady: No I did not.
Ummm...yes you did lol

You can not just change adddress and expect price to be the same
You'd think uber would inform the pax in the app when changing destinations that a NEW quote would be provided so the pax can make an informed decision. Sure hope the driver was able to keep his/her earnings on this one. Uber should eat it.

DragginMyCouch DMC

No one agrees. Do you make posting to every thread, a job Ann Mapdick. go for a drive and tell all the riders how much you wish you knew Mapdork. Give it a rest tough guy from the hospitality industry who isn't afraid to show someone the door. lol Did anyone ever drag you through It? We're you just pointing over the dishwashers shoulder when you showed them?

Sam D

Yeah I dunno man -- The Uber rider sounds like a tool - I can buy that the the mistake was due to her being a first time user but on the other hand -- she had to know she added miles and I am sure the app indicates when its a surge price - the teachers at the passengers grade school used to write "Suzzie" needs to pay attention to details on her reading comprehension tests" EVERY REPORT CARD

chitown73

Yeah I dunno man -- The Uber rider sounds like a tool - I can buy that the the mistake was due to her being a first time user but on the other hand -- she had to know she added miles and I am sure the app indicates when its a surge price - the teachers at the passengers grade school used to write "Suzzie" needs to pay attention to details on her reading comprehension tests" EVERY REPORT CARD
The biggest problem is that the news media continues to report these stories without ever getting ALL of the facts. And the fact that Uber continues to refund their entire fare just teaches pax like this that all they have to do is call the local news and claim that Uber "robbed" them and Uber will give them anything.

Sam D

The biggest problem is that the news media continues to report these stories without ever getting ALL of the facts. And the fact that Uber continues to refund their entire fare just teaches pax like this that all they have to do is call the local news and claim that Uber "robbed" them and Uber will give them anything.

Yeah same in retail. Customers get to treat employees like shit bad customers will always get the discount they want ...and management is never on employee side.

Tip. If you go to Home Depot all the cashiers have "50 dollars in their pocket" ... that means they can take up to 50 dollars off your Whole order for any reason to make you happy. If it's not used enough at the quarterly ratings you get a lower score as an employee. Need more than 50 bucks off ... cashier calls manager and you get it.

If you shop Home Depot now you know. You can get anything you want marked down .. just act like a little @@@@@.

I'll never work retail again

chitown73

Yeah same in retail. Customers get to treat employees like shit bad customers will always get the discount they want ...and management is never on employee side.

Tip. If you go to Home Depot all the cashiers have "50 dollars in their pocket" ... that means they can take up to 50 dollars off your Whole order for any reason to make you happy. If it's not used enough at the quarterly ratings you get a lower score as an employee. Need more than 50 bucks off ... cashier calls manager and you get it.

If you shop Home Depot now you know. You can get anything you want marked down .. just act like a little *****.

I'll never work retail again

Drivers on this forum will vent their frustrations online but what you need to do is bombard all these news stations and newspapers when they run these stories full of half truths and call them out on the facts

Last edited: