Uber Drivers Forum banner

Compared to when Uber first came to Spfld, Do we need to driver tons more to make same $$$?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Recoup 
#1 ·
Uber has changed pricing a bit that effects drivers here in Springfield.
It may help the riders get a cheap ride..but will cause many drivers to quit. Here seems to be the deal. Let me know if I understand this correctly..
----- There is a minimal ride fee of $5.40 to a rider (from Uber web site)...but that amount is broken down into pieces. In that $5.40 is a "Booking Fee" of $1.40..that Uber keeps to itself. Then it splits the remainder 80% for the Driver and 20% for the driver.

So a basic ride earns the driver only $4.32. OH..but WAIT!! Uber has been increasing its "take" to 25% in many areas. Did they do this in Springfield too???

This means a driver would get $4.05 from a shorter ride. Uber has also dropped referral bonuses from $200 to $100 to now only $50...and at the same time.. increased the amount of rides from 10 to 30..before both drivers can get the bonus. So is this to get people to quit? I have heard from drivers that our area is over "saturated" with drivers. It just seems you have to driver 2 or 3 times more ....to make the same money...from when Uber first came to Springfield.

ALSO -I have had $3.50 rides....How am I getting less than the minimum ..minus Uber's 20%???

See less See more
#2 ·
Uber has changed pricing a bit that effects drivers here in Springfield.
It may help the riders get a cheap ride..but will cause many drivers to quit. Here seems to be the deal. Let me know if I understand this correctly..
----- There is a minimal ride fee of $5.40 to a rider (from Uber web site)...but that amount is broken down into pieces. In that $5.40 is a "Booking Fee" of $1.40..that Uber keeps to itself. Then it splits the remainder 80% for the Driver and 20% for the driver.

So a basic ride earns the driver only $4.32. OH..but WAIT!! Uber has been increasing its "take" to 25% in many areas. Did they do this in Springfield too???

This means a driver would get $4.05 from a shorter ride. Uber has also dropped referral bonuses from $200 to $100 to now only $50...and at the same time.. increased the amount of rides from 10 to 30..before both drivers can get the bonus. So is this to get people to quit? I have heard from drivers that our area is over "saturated" with drivers. It just seems you have to driver 2 or 3 times more ....to make the same money...from when Uber first came to Springfield.

ALSO -I have had $3.50 rides....How am I getting less than the minimum ..minus Uber's 20%???[.well more drivers cause you maybe and others refer new drivers not a smart thing to do cut ur self out of job sooner r later. I don't refer
Wouldn't be as much drivers if u or other drivers wouldn't Refer new drivers. I don't refer. Just going to cut ur self out of job sooner or later

#3 ·
Although I appreciate your point of view..I only have referred 2 people locally. I refer people in other cities for the very reason you mentioned.

As for the analysis ..my question remains un-answered...I feel Uber would have raised percents anyways....decreased bonuses anyway....increased qualifying rides anyway....and lowered ride prices anyway.

When looking at these topics across the USA..not just Spfld....this seem to be their business model.

As for growing number of drivers...Uber did not cap the number of drivers in an area..and claim you and 5 other can be the only Uber drivers in town. So..your issue should be with Uber..not a posting asking a question.

I think Uber should have capped it. Like make a 1 percent of population can be drivers. Then you would not be upset...I think.

#4 ·
Let me know if I understand this correctly..

So a basic ride earns the driver only $4.32.
Your math is off.
5.40 gross minus 1.40 booking fee = $4
80% of the remaining 4.00 is 3.20 (not 4.32)

OH..but WAIT!! Uber has been increasing its "take" to 25% in many areas. Did they do this in Springfield too???

This means a driver would get $4.05 from a shorter ride. .
75% of 4.00 is 3.00, not 4.05

ALSO -I have had $3.50 rides....How am I getting less than the minimum ..minus Uber's 20%???
See above.

#6 ·
Haha, I remember a thread not that long ago where three consecutive people were doing a slightly more complicated calculation, and all three of us, err, I mean THEM got the wrong answer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.