commercial toll rate?

B - uberlyftdriver

i just noticed the change in the expass charges leaving the airport.

i have been getting charged $2.65 for the sumner and the ted....anyone else?

sometimes i get charged $2.65 each way, WTF?

Tysmith95

Interesting. Not surprised that this is happening.

Though if this starts happening to me, I'm gonna reject airport trips from the seaport when the queue is high.

Uber needs to reinstate some sort of airport fee.

Jaackil

i just noticed the change in the expass charges leaving the airport.

i have been getting charged $2.65 for the sumner and the ted....anyone else?

sometimes i get charged $2.65 each way, WTF?
When they went to all electronic tolling several months back they split the toll and charged both ways. It is now 1.50 each way for passenger cars. I am not sure what the commercial rate is if you have livery plates. Uber pays the pay by plate rate of $2.05. Lyft only pays the ez pass rate.

Tysmith95

When they went to all electronic tolling several months back they split the toll and charged both ways. It is now 1.50 each way for passenger cars. I am not sure what the commercial rate is if you have livery plates. Uber pays the pay by plate rate of $2.05. Lyft only pays the ez pass rate.
Uber and Lyft give the commercial rate on the sumner/callahan. Well Uber all of the time and Lyft when it works.

My28

Take pax threw Everett. Route 16 like the taxi dew. See how they like that

Ask them we're there from if there not from Boston take them for a tour

ROTA

Interesting. Not surprised that this is happening.

Though if this starts happening to me, I'm gonna reject airport trips from the seaport when the queue is high.

Uber needs to reinstate some sort of airport fee.
how you do that on uber when you only know destionatiom after starting the ride?

Tysmith95

how you do that on uber when you only know destionatiom after starting the ride?
Rider gets into car, I see airport, I know I lose money so kick the rider out.

Or see bags, peel out quickly.

Last edited:

scamp

Uber and Lyft give the commercial rate on the sumner/callahan. Well Uber all of the time and Lyft when it works.

Yup, Uber and Lyft both credit $2.65 each way thru tunnels and $2.25 thru Tobin. I actually made money on tolls last Sunday when I worked Lyft's airport queue.

Jaackil

Really? I was not aware that Lyft did. I thought Lyft only paid the ez pass rate everywhere in Ma including the tunnels and Tobin. If they are that is great.

B - uberlyftdriver

alright, maybe i was not clear enough in my original post

MY ezpass is being charged $2.65 EACH way in the tunnels which is commercial rate
i am not talking about what uber/lyft pays us, i know this is $2.65 when i have a pax

so MY EZPASS statement doubled this week because of the way i drive, i go back to the airport empty because i used to think like scamp .
at non commercial rates i was only losing .35 cents on a round trip , now going back empty i'm losing/paying $2.65 to go back empty.

i hope this clears up what i am trying to say and for you all to start watching your EZPASS statement because i have a feeling this will be the new normal

Take pax threw Everett. Route 16 like the taxi dew. See how they like that

Ask them we're there from if there not from Boston take them for a tour

i know i will go that way empty from now on

almost nothing correct here, except two way tolling

Rider gets into car, I see airport, I know I lose money so kick the rider out.

Or see bags, peel out quickly.

thats some savage driving, right there

Shmo313

The new law states we are supposed to have a commercial transponder. That's why the pax always gets charged commercial rate. For tax purposes I suggest getting one because your 1099 will reflect commercial toll rates and if you use that number for deductions and you get audited, they won't match.

Jaackil

The new law states we are supposed to have a commercial transponder. That's why the pax always gets charged commercial rate. For tax purposes I suggest getting one because your 1099 will reflect commercial toll rates and if you use that number for deductions and you get audited, they won't match.
Wait a minute. Please clarify is this with commercial plates? Or all ride share?

Shmo313

The new law states we were all supposed to get commercial transponders when the changes occurred and we got our certificates. If may have even happened before we got the certificates, but part of the new law is commercial transponders are supposed to be used. That's why uber charges the pax the commercial rate, because we are suppossed to pay the commercial rate. The majority don't, so your 1099 amount which is the commercial rate that uber charges won't match your ezpass statement because unless you switched to commercial, you were only being charged regular rates. So if you use the 1099 amount for deduction reasons, your going to be deducting more than you should be. Only problem would be if you got audited. Too many drivers don't educate themselves on things like these and then when all of a sudden they get audited or something happens they are like, What? How did that happen? What do you mean? Uber sent out an email the beginning of year regarding this. I'm sure a simple Google search can find the exact law. I'm not going to do the work for you. Believe me if you want, don't if you want.

Jaackil

The new law states we were all supposed to get commercial transponders when the changes occurred and we got our certificates. If may have even happened before we got the certificates, but part of the new law is commercial transponders are supposed to be used. That's why uber charges the pax the commercial rate, because we are suppossed to pay the commercial rate. The majority don't, so your 1099 amount which is the commercial rate that uber charges won't match your ezpass statement because unless you switched to commercial, you were only being charged regular rates. So if you use the 1099 amount for deduction reasons, your going to be deducting more than you should be. Only problem would be if you got audited. Too many drivers don't educate themselves on things like these and then when all of a sudden they get audited or something happens they are like, What? How did that happen? What do you mean? Uber sent out an email the beginning of year regarding this. I'm sure a simple Google search can find the exact law. I'm not going to do the work for you. Believe me if you want, don't if you want.
Shmo don't be a Shmuck I just asked a simple question. FYI the current EZ pass website only references commercial plates for an commercial transponder it says nothing about Rideshare TNC.

Jaackil

So you are assuming the press is always 100% correct with everything they report. Here is where you have still not clarified it even though you said the law was easy to find online. Previously Uber Black drivers were required to have livery plates but were not charged the same as livery services were. The livery services complained. I believe the charge of comerial tolls only applies to Rideshare drivers with commercial or livery plates. I do not believe it applies to X or regular Lyft. I have not been able to find any anouncement from Lyft or Uber that says all drivers will be charged commercial toll rates. As a matter of fact I just signed on to Lyft a few months ago well after that law was signed (I have been driving uber for 2 years.). And Lyft sent me something that said they only pay the ez pass rate not the pay by plate rate with a list of the Mass passenger rates.

Shmo313

Uber sent out an email a long time ago regarding this issue. The new law states that rideshare drivers are supposed to have commercial ezpass transponders. This is why the customer gets charged the commercial rate, where before the new law they just got charged the regular rate. What am I over thinking? The fact that 90% of drivers have a regular transponder, but uber charges pax commercial rate, so when you do your taxes your numbers aren't going to match and when your unlucky and get audited your going to have deductions that you didn't actually have? Last I checked this isn't over thinking, it's knowing the laws and tax implications of the job i do.