• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

commercial registration

Pete06

It's up to you as the independent contracror and one who possess an AB licence to know the provincial laws. Provincial law states ride sharing needs to have class 1-55 as of October of this year. You might as well be complaining its Uber fault if you get a speeding ticket cause they didn't remind you of a speed zone change!?!

Several times a day on average Uber manages to send me texts and alerts about surges, hockey game and whatever — the fact they are not advising drivers of this requirement has to be for a deliberate purpose and not simply because staff are "too busy".

What would be that purpose? One thing that comes to mind is that advising drivers of yet another requirement will probably cause some to drop out of the system. Any other ideas why they aren't advising us of this?

BGL

Following that logic, why would Uber even bother telling prospective drivers they'll need a Class 4 Driver's License — let 'em figure it out on their own!

KJM74

Point blank........if someone wants to do this full-time, you have to expect to invest in your "business"

And even if you are only planning to do it part time for a couple extra bucks, you can either do whats required, or not.

AltaClip

Maybe a coincidence but Fuber sent me an email on this today...

Updating your vehicle registration

The Alberta Government’s ridesharing website recently changed to say that rideshare drivers need a commercial registration and license plate.

We're working on a transition period for driver-partners in Edmonton. While this is being discussed, we encourage ALL partners to update their vehicle registration to Livery (Class 1-55).

Until a transition plan is formalized, Uber will continue to support driver-partners in the rare event they are ticketed for driving without a livery license plate. To avoid any chance of a ticket we recommend you switch your registration to livery if you haven't done so already.

KJM74

One of the other drivers at the Uber office said he was told by the city that when he drives for uber he needs the commercial plate on, but during personal time he needs to put his old plate back on and keep both registered. I laughed so hard!city workers don't even know the laws

Billyboi

That's the same story I was told at the Registry when I changed my registration to the livery plate. When I laughed and said that was impractical and suggested I put the second plate on the front of the vehicle I was told that it was illegal to display two plates.
I paid $94 for the L plate, not the $25 that I was expecting as per Ubers email.
I still kept my personal plate active as it has nearly two years before it expires, and who knows I will probably need to use it at some point if I quit Uber or sell my vehicle.
This whole plate thing has not been thought through by the province.
It is a provincial requirement, not a city one, but the city seems to require us to follow provincial law.

Bill s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All drivers be advised to get your commercial registration cofirmed from city by calling 311. Give the operator your cars plate number
and tell them that you are an Uber driver and ask to confirm that your plate is registered in citys records .Otherwise you guys may get
ticketed instead of having a commmercial plate which is not registered in Citys records.

Bill s

Are you having 2 registrations one commercial for Uber and other normal one for personal use of the car.?
Here in Edmonton Uber rep. is asking for 2 plates. And one will have to switch between them.

Billyboi

Are you having 2 registrations one commercial for Uber and other normal one for personal use of the car.?
Here in Edmonton Uber rep. is asking for 2 plates. And one will have to switch between them.
That's right. I have two plates and two registrations for the one vehicle. Sounds crazy I know but that is what the Province/City/Uber seem to want.

Bill s

But more of the registries are saying that one need to have only one registration including the Strathcona registry referred by Uber rep.
From which registry you got registered?

Billyboi

But more of the registries are saying that one need to have only one registration including the Strathcona registry referred by Uber rep.
That's right, you only need one registration. But the registry will also tell you that when you drive commercially you need a commercial plate and when you drive privately you need a private registration.
It is a catch 22 situation.
I used the In and Out Registry
13058 – 50 Street
Edmonton, AB | T5A 4V9
Phone (780) 473-8899

They had only just received their instructions on registering Uber vehicles on the day I got my L plate so its all new to them as well.

TheMaxTaxi

to
That's right. I have two plates and two registrations for the one vehicle. Sounds crazy I know but that is what the Province/City/Uber seem to want.

When I switched over to commercial plate , registry asked if I wanted them to shred the old registration. I told them I would keep it for my records and they said fine but do NOT GET STOPPED with both permits in the vehicle as it is a huge fine. Just relating what I was told .

Bill s

Ok. So how often one is supposed to change plates. Like suppose at the end of day you want to go home after switching Uber app. off
Will you first change plate at that moment?