College Town! YIKES!

wst1459

Im posting cause not sure what to do. Im a grad student and Im driving in upstate New York and since school started almost all my fares are college students - mostly undergrad and mostly drunk. Got a call to a frat house. These boys were pushing me to take more riders than I can extremely aggressively. They all jumped in my car when I pulled up and were LOUD and wouldn't listen when I told them to get out. I eventually took less than they wanted to a "barn" party in the middle of the country way out of town. On the way they started to get even more aggressive - calling people fags, saying they would "eff" that @@@ in the butt and talking aggressively about raping girls. One of them spoke up and said dont talk like that because Im not into raping and its bothering me. But it didnt stop it. One f the guys also said to the other guy telling him not to talk like that "You are an effing politically correct @@@@@" and his talking got even worse. I am gay and was FREAKING OUT. Then I started smelling something minty, At first I thought it was gum. Than I started to get really dizzy and felt a huge rush as the smell got really strong. I asked what was going on, what were they doing, what was that smell - they wouldn't answer me. This was right before I was dropping them off. I started to think if I did anything at that point to kick them out or say anything they may attack me cause of the language and aggression. The loud aggressive one in the front also kept turning up the radio real loud when I told him not to. I still dont even know what I inhaled. I than pulled over after. I got another ride when I got back to Ithaca but I broke down in the car crying - I couldn't hold it back. I felt embarrassed in front of the pax doing this but she was very understanding. I called it an early night after that and went home. This morning I was still shaking.

SEAL Team 5

Im posting cause not sure what to do. Im a grad student and Im driving in upstate New York and since school started almost all my fares are college students - mostly undergrad and mostly drunk. Got a call to a frat house. These boys were pushing me to take more riders than I can extremely aggressively. They all jumped in my car when I pulled up and were LOUD and wouldn't listen when I told them to get out. I eventually took less than they wanted to a "barn" party in the middle of the country way out of town. On the way they started to get even more aggressive - calling people fags, saying they would "eff" that &%[email protected]!* in the butt and talking aggressively about raping girls. One of them spoke up and said dont talk like that because Im not into raping and its bothering me. But it didnt stop it. One f the guys also said to the other guy telling him not to talk like that "You are an effing politically correct *****" and his talking got even worse. I am gay and was FREAKING OUT. Then I started smelling something minty, At first I thought it was gum. Than I started to get really dizzy and felt a huge rush as the smell got really strong. I asked what was going on, what were they doing, what was that smell - they wouldn't answer me. This was right before I was dropping them off. I started to think if I did anything at that point to kick them out or say anything they may attack me cause of the language and aggression. The loud aggressive one in the front also kept turning up the radio real loud when I told him not to. I still dont even know what I inhaled. I than pulled over after. I got another ride when I got back to Ithaca but I broke down in the car crying - I couldn't hold it back. I felt embarrassed in front of the pax doing this but she was very understanding. I called it an early night after that and went home. This morning I was still shaking.
The night shift is definitely not for you. From your self description I suggest that you only drive daytime. This job is not for the meek.

ginseng41

Please report these guys to Uber. Say you want them banned for being threatening comments made and don't take no for an answer. They banned the POS Charlottesville organizers for making similar comments.

I'd also report them to the police. Comments such as these are worth their time as drunk people say things indicative of their underlying beliefs that they may be prone to act upon. Maybe they're planning to do some BS stuff like they talked about and a report could prevent it.

I think you live in a similar demographic area to me so I'm guessing this will be a rare occurrence. Ithica is a liberal school surrounded by trash. I've learned to ignore and report. I kinda enjoy reporting these guys and getting them investigated

ShinyAndChrome

You can't really call police over this. There is nothing for them to investigate. You can complain to uber and should but there are thousands waiting in the wings just lik the ones you drove around.

OP's experience is exactly why I created a thread after this Saturday about taking drunks around. They are mostly just not worth the hassle. I have had no bad experiences during the day at all but I find the drunk crowd to be rude and obnoxious. Due to my real job I won't have that much time to rideshare if I only drive around decent humans, but it is probably worth that. Uber is a fairly cool thing to do on the side but loud mouth drunks ruin the experience.

tohunt4me

Im posting cause not sure what to do. Im a grad student and Im driving in upstate New York and since school started almost all my fares are college students - mostly undergrad and mostly drunk. Got a call to a frat house. These boys were pushing me to take more riders than I can extremely aggressively. They all jumped in my car when I pulled up and were LOUD and wouldn't listen when I told them to get out. I eventually took less than they wanted to a "barn" party in the middle of the country way out of town. On the way they started to get even more aggressive - calling people fags, saying they would "eff" that &%[email protected]!* in the butt and talking aggressively about raping girls. One of them spoke up and said dont talk like that because Im not into raping and its bothering me. But it didnt stop it. One f the guys also said to the other guy telling him not to talk like that "You are an effing politically correct *****" and his talking got even worse. I am gay and was FREAKING OUT. Then I started smelling something minty, At first I thought it was gum. Than I started to get really dizzy and felt a huge rush as the smell got really strong. I asked what was going on, what were they doing, what was that smell - they wouldn't answer me. This was right before I was dropping them off. I started to think if I did anything at that point to kick them out or say anything they may attack me cause of the language and aggression. The loud aggressive one in the front also kept turning up the radio real loud when I told him not to. I still dont even know what I inhaled. I than pulled over after. I got another ride when I got back to Ithaca but I broke down in the car crying - I couldn't hold it back. I felt embarrassed in front of the pax doing this but she was very understanding. I called it an early night after that and went home. This morning I was still shaking.
Perhaps ride share is not for you.

Uber Crack

Author
I'm sorry that happened. That's awful. Statistically speaking, you'll probably not get anything that hideous again for a while. Whenever I get something horrible I always go, whew :rolleyes: that's my shit drive knocked out for a while. And I congratulate myself for handling it well and for still being alive :smiles: Honestly it's usually not that bad all the time. Hang in there. You can do this. :cool:

Cableguynoe

i can't say that yet but I can say whoever gets in the front seat of my van is the least likely to act like a hooligan. They are the least drunk and most respectful.

Agree. I think it's kind of like sitting in the school bus. They think they can get away with things sitting in the back. Person up front will usually be more respectful since driver is right there making eye contact.

ShinyAndChrome

I'm sorry that happened. That's awful. Statistically speaking, you'll probably not get anything that hideous again for a while. Whenever I get something horrible I always go, whew :rolleyes: that's my shit drive knocked out for a while. And I congratulate myself for handling it well and for still being alive :smiles: Honestly it's usually not that bad all the time. Hang in there. You can do this. :cool:
Uber should add this to its marketing:

"Come drive for us. Build self confidence by handling shit passengers and getting out alive. Hang in there, you can do this!"

Spotscat

Hindsight is 20/20 - coulda, shoulda, woulda.

In my lowly opinion, the critical mistake you made was when you first arrived and they tried to get you to take more passengers than you can legally transport, and they were aggressive about it.

At that moment, you should have cancelled the ride and not tried to take some of them.

When they refuse to exit your vehicle, grab your phone and tell them we're going to play a little guessing game - guess a number between nine one zero and nine one two.

When dealing with drunks, especially drunken college kids, you've immediately got to establish who is in charge - you or them. If you don't, you'll have problems again in the future.

I've given hundreds of drunken college kids rides home, and never once had a problem with them. They may get a little loud and rowdy, but when they start acting in an inappropriate manner I've found that a stern warning is all that is needed to quiet them down.

Last edited:

Uberdriver2710

Did you forget to roll out the red carpet, and give out foot massages. Next time be more generous! lolz!!!:p

On a more serious note...learn to screen for good passengers, as there is plenty of garbage out there.

ginseng41

You would only be reporting one guy, not all the guys.
Not sure in this case. But I've found that many times the account holder is the best behaved person in the car.

True but in a smaller college town, they'll start having trouble getting rides. I certainly pick up people that force their accompanying riders to behave because friends have been banned.

You can't really call police over this. There is nothing for them to investigate. You can complain to uber and should but there are thousands waiting in the wings just lik the ones you drove around.

OP's experience is exactly why I created a thread after this Saturday about taking drunks around. They are mostly just not worth the hassle. I have had no bad experiences during the day at all but I find the drunk crowd to be rude and obnoxious. Due to my real job I won't have that much time to rideshare if I only drive around decent humans, but it is probably worth that. Uber is a fairly cool thing to do on the side but loud mouth drunks ruin the experience.

You most certainly can call the police over someone stating they're going to commit a crime. Hate crimes are no joke and, at least here, the police take stuff like this quite seriously. Raping girls? Yup another one that they'll take seriously, especially in a college town

Another Uber Driver

What you do, if you are going to drive at night, is pull up to all addresses with doors locked. If something stinks, do not unlock the doors. Drive away from the address. If they slick you, say there are only three, but as soon as they open the doors four other guys appear out of nowhere and want a Klown Kar, invite them to vacate the vehicle. If they refuse, call the police.

If they become loud and rowdy, give them one warning. Keep an eye out for "safe places" to pull to the side. If they fail to heed the warning, pull to the "safe place" and invite them to vacate the vehicle. If they refuse, call the police.

Do not take any nonsense from these people, especially drunken frat rats.

ginseng41

What you do, if you are going to drive at night, is pull up to all addresses with doors locked. If something stinks, do not unlock the doors. Drive away from the address. If they slick you, say there are only three, but as soon as they open the doors four other guys appear out of nowhere and want a Klown Kar, invite them to vacate the vehicle. If they refuse, call the police.

If they become loud and rowdy, give them one warning. Keep an eye out for "safe places" to pull to the side. If they fail to heed the warning, pull to the "safe place" and invite them to vacate the vehicle. If they refuse, call the police.

Do not take any nonsense from these people, especially drunken frat rats.

Definitely do all of this. I've been driving Uber in a college town for 3 years now and really nights are the time to make money. I make a ton in those night time hours. I've had to call the police several times to get people to GtFO of my car and my cancellation rate hovers around 10%. I'm careful who I let in and, of course, get tons of drunk no-shows. Cancel on any passenger that seems threatening and report them. I've had quite a few over the years that called me and were verbally abusive about something or went bat $3)# crazy when I refused to transport more than 4 passengers. It is your vehicle and you are responsible if something happens while you're driving

Uberdriver2710

Really? What a stupid thing to say.

PTUber

I might be repeating some of the things already said but here are a few pointers:
1. Yes now and again you will get PAX like this but most are very respectful even the college kids. This weekend school is back and all the kids I picked up thanked me for picking them up like it wasn't my job that I was doing them a favor.
2. You don't have to take anybody you don't want to. Tell them to get out, if they don't you get out with the keys and your phone. If they still won't get out threaten to call the police.
3. If they are in the car take control (not always easy). Don't touch the radio, no smoking, quiet down it is effecting my driving, etc. If they keep it up say I am going to end this ride and let you out.
4. You can't take any of this personally it isn't always rosie especially late night. If you can't ignore it drive during the day.
5. If you can't do any of the above maybe just drive delivery pizza doesn't talk back.