• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

College Kid, Can I Drive?

RM2015

I am a student here at Boise State. I am in need of just a little extra money each month. Is it possible for a college student to make 1200 dollars a month driving with Uber? I am just looking for something that can be flexible around my school schedule and was wondering if driving for Uner might solve my problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

uberboise

Here are real numbersTo earn $1200 a month I would have to have to work approximately 85 hours a month. I am at 20% to Uber. As a new driver you would be paying Uber 25%, so you're number is roughly 10% more, 90 plus hours. This is based on my log from last month. That's before expenses btw. Also that assumes in that 90 hours you would be busy 100% of the time. Your mileage return would be roughly .70 per mile.
If you want to work just Friday and Saturday nights, you can ideally make $300, working 9 to 3 AM.

RM2015

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for the quick response. I was also curious if there were many people who requested Uber rides during the middle of the day, of is Boise a mainly nights and weekend driving city?

uberboise

If you're around campus/downtown, you could stay fairly busy. You will be competing with a lot of other Uber drivers for those pings. Boise is over-saturated. Maybe 2 pings an hour. Keep in mind these will be short trips usually. You can get paid as little as 2.50 per trip for a minimum fare. Don't count on any tips, especially on campus.

Looking at the Sat/Fri projection again, working a 6 hour night probably only net you $100 a night at best.

In summary, Boise is a over saturated, low demand market. You can only expect to be busy Fri/Sat nights, the rest is hit and miss. Lot's of low pay short trips, no tips to speak of. (that being said I did get a $30 tip from 5 drunk bacherlettes one night-you never know-some nights people are generous, avg is about 1 in 10 though)

Here are real numbersTo earn $1200 a month I would have to have to work approximately 85 hours a month. I am at 20% to Uber. As a new driver you would be paying Uber 25%, so you're number is roughly 10% more, 90 plus hours. This is based on my log from last month. That's before expenses btw. Also that assumes in that 90 hours you would be busy 100% of the time. Your mileage return would be roughly .70 per mile.
If you want to work just Friday and Saturday nights, you can ideally make $300, working 9 to 3 AM.
The $300 is for BOTH night combined, and I over estimated. To make $150 a night you are looking at a ten hour shift.