1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

clueless yellow driver

Discussion in 'New York City' started by unemployed, Jul 16, 2017.

1. unemployed

unemployed

Hi all.

I am about to become a clueless yellow driver.

I've done Uber, now I will be trying out yellow for a bit.

I figure I'll start at the airports, otherwise I might be cruising hours without a fare.

I have no idea how yellow works at the airports. I've seen their lot at jfk, but I have no idea what the system is.

Where can I find info on how to do yellow? Like, really basic info?

Anyone wants to volunteer telling me how jfk works directly would be also appreciated

2. There is a central lot we're yellows are dispatched, Follow the signs. Better to work midtown unless you get an airport run. How much are you paying for yellow?

3. unemployed

unemployed

125 for night and 115 for day. or thereabouts. i think its a lot. are you saying that you will get a message from a dispatcher when its your turn to leave the lot? do you have to sign in when you enter?

4. Vale219

Vale219

U need to look around i was going to try yellow for a day and they was giving me a car for 80 for a saturday morning the garage is around ft hamilton

5. Rustyshackelford

Rustyshackelford

Talk to some yellows at the airport. Make friends. I know there is a group chat of a few hundred yellow drivers. They all help each other out. Such as which hotel is having a lot of guest heading out to the airports. When the airports are busy. Where not to be. Etc. they can also point you in the right direction of a yellow garage.

SpeedracerX, ubernyc and Ms.Doe like this.
  6. staytune

staytune

Driving:
    UberX
    It is a lot for day shift but reasonable to night shift. manhattan is where the money at. and at the end of the day, you will find you go home with more money in your pocket than any of these app company, tip alone can be $30-40, where you need to do 8 local trips for uber to make that money. there are many yellow taxi stand and relief stop across the city where limited for app drivers. good luck

if you live nearby the airport, start there. you go to the central taxi holding line and wait in the lot like all taxi which is off jfk expressway, you'll see the sign or follow bunch of empty taxi. if you are morning shift, be at the lot at about 4:30 if you are night shift, get to the lot at about 2-2:30, the wait time is shorter unless it is really slow like on long weekends. get yourself a flat rate book, you might get an out of town to jersey or conn. where uber pays you 1/2 the price from the rate book but they charge pax the full price. be courteous and earn a good tip. usually 20% , if you be courteouse to uber pax, you earn 0 tip.

bigdreamslittlemoney and Ms.Doe like this.
  7. ok your yellow is suppose to have a e-tag that gets scanned when you enter the lot then just follow the other yellow cabs and enter that numbered lane just remember the Central Lanes 5 or 6, 6 or 7 (the long lanes closer to cafeteria) i don't remember exactly are used for shorties. their should be a dispacther sometimes who you can ask will ask you shortie or not and should show you which lane.

Ok what is shortie is a short ride (any rides to brooklyn, queens from JFK and brooklyn, queens and south bronx from LGA) from airport for which you get a ticket that a lets you get in to shortie line that moves faster.

now you in lot you waiting for your line to move ok line start moving you will approach one of the gates. you will see a screen there look for you cab number and terminal eg 2A3H T8 (means 2A3H to terminal 8) so go to terminal eight.

now at terminal 8 all terminal have dispathers who check if you in right terminal. now wait in taxi line for you turn. pick up passenger. (DON'T FORGET YOUR SHORTIE TICKET if ride is to brooklyn or queens. )

8. staytune

staytune

Driving:
    UberX
    There are no more shortie tickets, they are out. when you re-enter the lot, the screen on the left will read your car as "short haul" and you ask the directing traffic which is the shortie line, they are usuall 3 lines for shortie, shortie gets to go the next trip first.

9. tnks when i was their they were still doing tickets haha hey but wait don't they get a ticket at terminal dispatcher that says short haul. i would save that ticket the system can some times go offline. or etc

10. staytune

staytune

Driving:
    UberX
    if the computer is down, they issue ticket, the dispatcher at the terminal have a hand held device reads everything. this system has been use about 2 years ago.

11. haha when i completely stopped driving yellow they were putting in the system but they didn't have the short hual system set yet you got ticket from terminal dispatcher and went to lot then a guy would look at it. i never was probobly on the screen at entrance never paid attention lol

12. Yellow12543

Yellow12543

The airports are only a small piece of the pie. If you drive slowly and keep your eyes open you will see people who will need a taxi all over the city. The major bulk of the business is in crowded areas like Manhattan along with the busy areas of Queens and Brooklyn, The passengers are hungry for yellow taxis now and you will be hailed on the street. But, you must be alert and not drive too fast. If you drive fast you will miss the pick/up. Yellow taxis also have Apps such as Curb and Arro. These Apps will come in handy in slow times and in remote areas. So, good luck. You have made a wise choice.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    SpartanJKM likes this.
  13. TheFixer1

TheFixer1

And another 100 yellow Taxis around you trying to pounce on the same fare "or tailgating you with hopes of cutting in front of you to steal the fare", constantly cutting each other off, street hails are DEAD.

14. Yellow12543

Yellow12543

NOT TRUE BY A LONG SHOT

15. FuberNYC

FuberNYC

You mean, you earn 5 Stars

Hope you know Manhattan streets and landmarks well...you will not be relying on gps to get your pax to their destinations

16. Yellow12543

Yellow12543

You can bring your own GPS if you need Do that and you will never have a problem

17. Welcome to the Yellow Side !
    Guy who said Street Hails are dead is obviously delusional and prob never enters the city !

First of all...Get to know where all the Airport central lots are...Esp LGA...it has 2 Lots !
    Airports still give out Shorty tickets !
    Once you enter JFK your cab will automatically get scanned and when your exiting the Lot your stop by the turnstiles and the TV monitor will tell Your which terminal to goto !

Talk to the Cabbies in the Lot...Eceryone is Willingly to help and join a WhatsAppGroup!

If you start from Queens ...Start from Airport !
    Try to be in the Lot 4:00-4:30 If night shift !
    City is extremely busy from 4-8PM
    Always drive on sides of the streets & avenues cause that's where fares will be hailing from!

Extremely Imperative to know the city and all the Thru streets! Your first 2-3 weeks will be extremely frustrating for you...
    But once you figure it out you will be fine !

Also...Shop around for best rates from garages.
    Got another 2-3 weeks before business dies out and then it will gets busy again when school starts ...

If you don't know the directions use a GPS..just tell fare you a new driver but most New Yawkers will just tell you how to get to their destination...

Join a WhatsApp Group ASAP!
    Unlike Fubers who snitch on each other to TLC ...Cabbie Hood is extremely tight and Willingly to help each other out...

I been doing Yellow since Mid-Nov...
    Took me till Feb to figure it out and also joining a WhatsApp group help a lot !

Good Luck ...

Link_upnyc likes this.
  18. TheFixer1

TheFixer1

19. Price of a medallion and day to day is two different stories ...
    Daily work is still busy ...
    Now is a good time to drive you can find a reasonable rate...
    The Drivers have all the leverage now...

Brah...The article you posted bout daily Hail is referring to Raleigh NC...Not NYC....Smh

20. Haha NC not NYC