Cleanliness and Delta Sonic deal. Worth it?

ROCuberguy585

So my car has never been super clean but I still do alright rating-wise (4.90). But today I went to Delta Sonic to get the inside and outside done since I had the free coupons from Uber. The girl told me they have a $30 a month unlimited deal for Uber drivers. I told her I'd think about it. They did an alright (not fantastic job) but they did get up a lot of the stuff I either couldn't reach or couldn't pickup with my handheld vacuum. Still not sold on it though.

Now it's impossible to know why you get downrated most of the time but there was at least one instance it might have been cleanliness but that was when I had passengers leave empty hard seltzer bottles (didn't realize they had them) in the cup holder and seat pocket before back-to-back trips. Now I make a point to visually inspect the backseat as well as possible after each ride. Other than that I'm not sure it's effecting me, the only feedback I've ever received is navigation 1 time.

I'm just interested in anyone who keeps their car super clean, if they think it affects ratings/tips, if they use a car wash/detail service and if they think $30 at Delta Sonic is worth it. Thoughts?

ShinyAndChrome

I don't bother cleaning the exterior much to be honest, and certainly I won't pay for it, as I would see it as compromising uber income even further.

I'd say about every 10 hours of driving people I vacuum the interior. I even wiped surfaces down in august (have not since). I think vacuuming covers 95% of what you need. Minimize dust and lint and garbage on the floor and seats. Also I don't have personal items in the car except in the trunk and 1-2 water bottles. Nothing else in there, people don't want to see it.

Sometimes between rides I'll check to see if some filthy swine left something in the back. Water bottles are the most I've seen along with bits of a banana.
Actually that reminds me, I'm going to re-rate that guy with the banana now to a much lower star rating. It's been a week so the pax will have no idea who did it. It wasn't dirty enough to warrant a cleaning fee. But it was gross and the passenger was a monumental @@@@@@ to his friends anyway.

Deltasonic had a $16.99 a month deal not long ago I did that I also get 12 cents off a gallon which is a good deal and I use that for both of my cars which virtually Pays for the car washes...

Lurking

I've found that the best way to get cheap gas is to use the GasBuddy App. They've even just started their own discount program.

Apparently, both Delta Sonic and Hoffman car wash have deals with Uber for drivers to get their first (only) car wash for free according to this. IMHO, it's past time to get the car washed when you can no longer see out of the windshield or people begin to write you little love notes in the dirt on your windows. :wink: When that happens, I suggest you check who offers the best deal and is most convenient before committing. Delta Sonic can be found in AMHERST, BUFFALO, CHEEKTOWAGA, NIAGARA FALLS, ORCHARD PARK, WEST SENECA, WILLIAMSVILLE, PENFIELD, ROCHESTER, WEBSTER, and SYRACUSE.

Last edited:

ROCuberguy585

I'm not worried so much about the outside. I've been doing Uber since early August and have had it washed twice but only cause I had the coupon. Otherwise I might wash it a few times a year.

It's the interior. I drive a 2012 with a mostly black interior that until today had never been detailed. Just some very occasional light dusting/vacuuming. When I started Uber I tried going over all the surfaces but it still looked dirty. I was able vacuum up most fine particles but my little vacuum struggled to get a lot of grass particles and such. Most riders didn't seem to mind/notice but it bothered me to drive people around like that. So when I got the coupon I took it in and got it done. They did a great job with the carpets (that's what a proper vacuum will do), the surfaces still aren't great but it'll do, I didn't expect miracles. I'm not that OCD it's just that my car really needed some TLC. With weekly vacuuming I probably won't be back for a while.

I was mainly curious if anyone is that OCD about their car and if they really, legitimately feel it impacts ratings/tips. Honestly I feel most UberX pax only care about getting from A-B quickly and safely and almost none of them tip regardless of the ride. But I'd love to hear if anyone honestly believes differently.

mhugh30

I also drive a 2012 with several years of kids growing up so my interior is anything but ideal. I did the delta sonic 10 min clean about a month ago & that is it. I get tips about 50-60% of the time & I know it's definitely not because me vehicle is spotless. Just laugh at their jokes, & show interest in what they're saying & they'll tip ya, regardless of how often you vacuum .

AlGoreRhythm

I have the 16.99 unlimited deal from delta sonic. I use it a couple times a week and have received compliments on the cleanliness of my car both in person and on my profile. I have a 4.94 rating after 160 trips and I feel like that is a contributing factor. I don't think I'd pay $30 but prior to delta sonic I'd get my car washed at a laser wash maybe twice a month and that was $10 a pop.

ShinyAndChrome

I wish there were more self-clean washes where you put quarters in and spray it down. You can do the exterior for $3 in quarters and 4 minutes and not sit in a 15 minute lineup. I have a friend with the unlimited monthly and one day we went to get his car washed and he sat there for a good 20 minutes. I thought it was an unbelievable waste of time. Until I moved to this city I never imagined people would pay so much to sit in lineups to have their car washed, even in the winter, and then it gets dirty 24 hours later.

Garbage Plate

I wash my car once a week but soon am going to need help. I'm not going to freeze my butt off washing a 2005 car. Or any car for that matter. And I'm way too cheap to pay for it. Can anyone tell me a good (cheap of course) do it yourself car wash in Rochester where I can spray down my car for 5 minutes and vacuum?

Merc7186

I wash my car every other week at Delta Sonic but will never have them do the interior as they do a horrible job. I keep a bucket of cleaning supplies in my car now after the puker. Usually if I have a 10 minute lull, I'll wipe the interior with.clorox wipes and vinyl protestant and hit the Delta Sonic free vaccums twice a week.

ShinyAndChrome

I wash my car once a week but soon am going to need help. I'm not going to freeze my butt off washing a 2005 car. Or any car for that matter. And I'm way too cheap to pay for it. Can anyone tell me a good (cheap of course) do it yourself car wash in Rochester where I can spray down my car for 5 minutes and vacuum?
These used to be more common. I know of a self-clean in Walworth and $3 in quarters gets you 4 minutes, which is just enough time for a quick wash. The margin is too low to be paying regular car wash rates and then drive another hour just to pay it back.

I imagine my car will get filthy in the winter like everyone else's. Customers in uber are just not paying enough money to be driven around in a car with a clean exterior in the winter here. I saw a guy at the one time I did airport queue detailing his car while he waited. Looked immaculate, all the doors open as he went to town on it. For uberx rates? Forget it.

backcountryrez

Living up there, I used to stop by the laserwash almost DAILY because I worried about the salt under my car. I realized quickly this was a losing battle.

I feel so fortunate now that I've moved somewhere where I don't have to worry about salt stains on the inside of my cars.

ShinyAndChrome

Living up there, I used to stop by the laserwash almost DAILY because I worried about the salt under my car. I realized quickly this was a losing battle.

I feel so fortunate now that I've moved somewhere where I don't have to worry about salt stains on the inside of my cars.
It is. I also remain unconvinced that washing car in the winter helps against rust at all. Car washes do not wash under the car. Where does rust start? 99% of the time it's in an area like the back of the wheel well. Cars only rust on the visible paint surfaces when something like a rock breaks through the undercoat down to metal. I think in some cases washing a car is probably worse as it introduces more water to a surface that is salty and does not end up fully clean, thus more rusting.

Merc7186

I vacuum my car out twice a week from all the shit that gets dragged in and wash maybe every other week...but when the weather gets crappiet, more people are gonna be concerned about the heat working rather than how dirty your exterior is.

ShinyAndChrome

I vacuum my car out twice a week from all the shit that gets dragged in and wash maybe every other week...but when the weather gets crappiet, more people are gonna be concerned about the heat working rather than how dirty your exterior is.
True. I think cars are going to start to stink. Mine always do in the winter from tracked snow melting, never drying, and going rank. Weathertech or husky full winter mats sort this out, but they aren't cheap. I have them in one of my vehicles (the one too good for uberx passengers). Runs $300 to outfit a minivan with these mats, although if your van is a bit older craigslist/ebay often have some good prices on them used.