• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

City of Toronto public consultations on the Vehicle-for-Hire Bylaw Review

GTADriver

These days I do pretty much the same thing. Pax ratings don’t mean anything. I’ve had 5 ⭐ pax who I never want to see in my car again; and I’ve had low rated pax who were a pleasure to drive with.
U know what this week I've been experimenting to see what would a high acceptance rate do for me. I have gotten longer rides than I did last week but is that a weekly thing.
Here is a question for you two what about distance? U don't discriminate on distance?

GTADriver

Actually, the long-hauls are my favourite trips! They usually make up for all the shorties. Even if I have to desdhead back to civilization, it’s still worth it.
No I mean distance to pickup or are u guys rejecting pings that are far away from you

Actionjax

No I mean distance to pickup or are u guys rejecting pings that are far away from you
What do you consider too far? If it’s dead out I might accept and start driving then see if I get a closer ping on a competing service. Or if it’s a long distance towards either home or to a better area I would take it. Again I don’t have a hard rule. It depends on the situation.

Petrikov

Ahhhh yes! The Jolly Roger 🏴‍☠️ is flying high and proud. And it was a pleasure to finally meet @Actionjax in person. Shout out to @Underground as well

I even said to the guy: “Dude: you’re preaching to choir. Trust me, we get it. None of us are earning decent money.” But would he stop? He just kept on with his rant and consuming precious time that should have used to put forward ideas to make this a better service.
City rep Dylan said that we had 80,000 ptc licensed drivers ,so please do the math ,who consider to do Uber/Lyft full time. The gig is over, even night driving is not working anymore -traffic jam!!!!
Post automatically merged:

I was questioning city about driverless cars but did not get timeline answer. My take after all info that I have five years to pay for my car, but later- who knows. I got more info from my next passenger Ali. He said he took a ride in driverless car in Las Vegas and liked it - kinda cool. 🙂So we guys all screwed thinking that Uber driving would last long Ali said that Uber driverless cars are bmw and Mercedes for the regular price because Uber has unlimited cash supply and can afford it.So my conclusion that we will be wiped out in couple of months after city allow driverless cars in about 5-7 years from now.

Last edited:

Yam Digger

My rule is to ignore any request more than 7 minutes away if I’m downtown, 10 minutes away in bedroom land, and 13 to 15 minutes if I’m way out in the boonies.

That said, these days, I rarely see requests more than 4 minutes away. That how you know the city is over saturated with drivers.

Last edited:

bandit13

My rule is to ignore any request more than 7 minutes away if I’m downtown, 10 minutes away in bedroom land, and 13 to 15 minutes if I’m way out in the boonies.

That said, these days, I rarely see requests more than 4 minutes away. That how you know the city is over saturated with drivers.
I drive midtown. A ping can say 7mins away when accepting ride and then the GPS become up to 20 mins away depending on traffic / construction especially rush hour 2 X per day.

Two Words: 'STOP HIRING'
Need to keep their 80,000 quota of drivers since so many quit within 1 month to 1 year. We will soon have as many as NYC at 110,000.

dmoney155

City rep Dylan said that we had 80,000 ptc licensed drivers ,so please do the math ,who consider to do Uber/Lyft full time. The gig is over, even night driving is not working anymore -traffic jam!!!!

I was questioning city about driverless cars but did not get timeline answer. My take after all info that I have five years to pay for my car, but later- who knows. I got more info from my next passenger Ali. He said he took a ride in driverless car in Las Vegas and liked it - kinda cool. 🙂So we guys all screwed thinking that Uber driving would last long Ali said that Uber driverless cars are bmw and Mercedes for the regular price because Uber has unlimited cash supply and can afford it.So my conclusion that we will be wiped out in couple of months after city allow driverless cars in about 5-7 years from now.
I always tell people, you should have started thinking about exit strategy 2 years ago. This is not something you hope to do for long time. Look at all the trips you have done... put it on the chart, you will see that time between pings increases, and your net keeps getting smaller and smaller... your hourly rate pretty much worse now than what MIT came up with, and $/km isn't getting any better with fuel prices going up..... so after all that, what makes you think things will get better, when for past 2 years things were getting worse?

....quit within 1 month to 1 year. We will soon have as many as NYC at 110,000.
Yes, the idea to have car available with in a minute on every corner... idea is not to ensure you make a living out of this.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Every week, with driver saturation and algorithm adjustments by the Mother-Corp, the MIT study inches back towards the window of being accurate.

And keep in mind, when they adjusted the model and re-ran the numbers, this was the result (taken from the Fortune article):

Zoepf said he would be updating the CEEPR paper, but in the meantime he recalculated the figures using a methodology suggested by Hall, and found that the median profit was $8.55 per hour, rather than $3.37, and only 8% of drivers lose money on on-demand platforms.

Weekend Warrior

Every week, with driver saturation and algorithm adjustments by the Mother-Corp, the MIT study inches back towards the window of being accurate.

And keep in mind, when they adjusted the model and re-ran the numbers, this was the result (taken from the Fortune article):

Zoepf said he would be updating the CEEPR paper, but in the meantime he recalculated the figures using a methodology suggested by Hall, and found that the median profit was $8.55 per hour, rather than $3.37, and only 8% of drivers lose money on on-demand platforms.
Yeah, but at least you get to make your own hours!!! :rolleyes:

dmoney155

Actionjax

Tell that to majority of drivers here who keep complaining and showing screenshots of their earnings.

lol yep... that's the way to do it... I aim for 30/hr... if after 2 hrs I'm not at that mark I cut my losses and go home.
I always say if you don't hit $25 per hour you are wasting your time. Back in the early days if you couldn't hit $30 something was wrong. I had to lower my median number in 2016 just before the regs and we started to see surge disappear in most areas.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
I always say if you don't hit $25 per hour you are wasting your time. Back in the early days if you couldn't hit $30 something was wrong. I had to lower my median number in 2016 just before the regs and we started to see surge disappear in most areas.
I assume we are all talking about "GROSS" here?

My strategy has been from the other end (albeit @Actionjax drives the same type of energy efficient car), and minimize the expenses. Pulling fuel and maintenence expenses down provides a softer cusion when you have the <$20/h Gross zones.

GTADriver

Oh I forgot to mention how @@@@ing rediculous it was that they wanted to discuss putting cameras in our cars but neither rep knew anything aboutThe Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) . I knew more about it than they did. They said of course we will of course look into The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) rules. Like wtf u should be knowing what the privacy rules are if u want to put cameras in our cars eh?

If anyone wants to read what the rules are

Petrikov

My take:
cameras will be not mandatory
rear view mirrors the same not mandatory
driving on hov lanes not sure looks like with passenger only
parking on bicycle lane probably if 5min meter is running not sure
city said it will be designated pick up areas in downtown, Uber is looking into it.
age 21 and experience 1 year, they might push it to two but not sure
It was good suggestion to have first 10 trips to be done with experienced driver, not sure if it will be implemented.
To improve traffic by fixing potholes did not resonate ,it is another department headache ,so not attention.
Then cry from full time driver and we run out of time.
21 drivers showed up divided by 80000 ptc licenses is .02625% participation
Spent $12 for parking will expense it for business

Yam Digger

We will soon have as many as NYC at 110,000.
But keep in mind that the population of NYC is 4 times that of Toronto. So the ratio of pax to drivers is considerably higher there.
I always say if you don't hit $25 per hour you are wasting your time. Back in the early days if you couldn't hit $30 something was wrong.
And that $30 was BEFORE we had to send a portion of it to Justin as HST! So, not only has inflation in the past 4 years made everything, including the maintenance of our cars, more expensive, but a significant paycut has been forced down our throats.

And you really think I’m going to get the rideshare itch in two months and go by a newer car? I would have to be a masochist.

GTADriver

so at the meeting our group agreed myself included that 21 and 2 years experience should be the standard. looking back wow how Canadian of us to go that low. we should be pushing for 25 and 5 years experience to weed out the ants but no we had to be fair and reasonable at our own expense.

oh and one woman said if you can driver your relatives and friends around you can do LUber. SOOOOOOOOOOO disagree! well not safely anyway

Last edited:

dmoney155

so at the meeting our group agreed myself included that 21 and 2 years experience should be the standard. looking back wow how Canadian of us to go that low. we should be pushing for 25 and 5 years experience to weed out the ants but no we had to be fair and reasonable at our own expense.

oh and one woman said if you can driver your relatives and friends around you can do LUber. SOOOOOOOOOOO disagree! well not safely anyway
Why? You don't think having full driver's license is enough to drive? if not, the issue is with easy testing. There is no need for any special training to drive people around. Driving is driving... if skill is inadequate, then issue is with obtaining the G driver license.
Now, if you really believe there is some different skill required to driving people around vs driving car by yourself/family... then there should be a different class of the license, where those different skills are tested.

(My personal opinion is most G licensed people are not capable of driving, and G tests are too easy, so it's not that uber/lyft drivers in particular are not experienced, but rather most people are)

GTADriver

Why? You don't think having full driver's license is enough to drive? if not, the issue is with easy testing. There is no need for any special training to drive people around. Driving is driving... if skill is inadequate, then issue is with obtaining the G driver license.
Now, if you really believe there is some different skill required to driving people around vs driving car by yourself/family... then there should be a different class of the license, where those different skills are tested.

(My personal opinion is most G licensed people are not capable of driving, and G tests are too easy, so it's not that uber/lyft drivers in particular are not experienced, but rather most people are)
Ya there perhaps needs to be a different class for transporting people around but good luck getting the provincial government to make any changes. Hell I suggested that the yearly safety inspections should not be done by independent garages but was told the province assigns which shops are allowed to do the inspections. Great useless

And there totally is a difference. Your not picking up friends and family from any @@@@ing point in the city. Hell last night I had an @@@@@@@ pax who stood between two traffic lights on bloor west. Now there was no south street but still can't just pull over between two traffic lights. Of course I didn't and had to get him to walk a bit but safety first. It's the safety part that makes driving pax different from driving friends and family and right now it's a jungle out there with luber and cabs doing whatever they want.