City Council Votes To Impose Regulations On Uber, Lyft Drivers

BuckSF

The Honolulu City Council approved a bill to regulate ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft on an 8-1 vote Wednesday in a victory for taxi companies that ended months of discussion.

After the Council voted, Uber and Lyft drivers immediately began filing out of the City Council chambers, but a group of taxi supporters in the back erupted in applause.

The Honolulu City Council approved a bill to regulate ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft on an 8-1 vote Wednesday in a victory for taxi companies that ended months of discussion.

After the Council voted, Uber and Lyft drivers immediately began filing out of the City Council chambers, but a group of taxi supporters in the back erupted in applause.

http://www.civilbeat.org/2016/08/city-council-votes-to-impose-regulations-on-uber-lyft-drivers

"And So It Begins."
-- Kosh, Babylon 5

Last edited by a moderator:

Another Uber Driver

The TNCs did not announce plans because they know that the municipalities are going to take the dare. Austin staggered and stumbled, but to read what the drivers have to say, it has stabilised. Houston plans on standing its ground. I suspect, too, that someone in Uber's hierarchy realised that dumping a market such as Chicago is cutting off the nose to spite the face.

The TNCs have to be aware that the agitation to subject them to the same rules and regulations as taxi and limousine drivers is growing. There are several things influencing this, not the least of which is the growing number of offences committed by drivers against passengers. In many cases, these drivers passed the TNC's' private background check, but, upon arrest, when the police ran a background check, previous convictions for violent crimes showed.

There are other factors at play, as well.

The TNCs have no room to talk about donations to politicians. They have done that to get regulatory passes, in addition to "making other arrangements". When the TNCs made those ""arrangements", they thought that it was a one time thing. Obviously, they have no one working for them who is politically astute. Put it this way: "greedy politician" is redundant.

ChortlingCrison

Well hopefully they'll stand by what they say. With the few excepts like Austin/Houston/NYC, state/city regulators seam to wimp out at the last minute.

RamzFanz

The TNCs did not announce plans because they know that the municipalities are going to take the dare. Austin staggered and stumbled, but to read what the drivers have to say, it has stabilised. Houston plans on standing its ground. I suspect, too, that someone in Uber's hierarchy realised that dumping a market such as Chicago is cutting off the nose to spite the face.

The TNCs have to be aware that the agitation to subject them to the same rules and regulations as taxi and limousine drivers is growing. There are several things influencing this, not the least of which is the growing number of offences committed by drivers against passengers. In many cases, these drivers passed the TNC's' private background check, but, upon arrest, when the police ran a background check, previous convictions for violent crimes showed.

There are other factors at play, as well.

The TNCs have no room to talk about donations to politicians. They have done that to get regulatory passes, in addition to "making other arrangements". When the TNCs made those ""arrangements", they thought that it was a one time thing. Obviously, they have no one working for them who is politically astute. Put it this way: "greedy politician" is redundant.
....annnnnnd, you just made all of that up. Please show us these "many cases". Many would mean more than two or three.

Now, lets discuss how taxis have been robbing people for 3/4 a century.

Beur

....annnnnnd, you just made all of that up. Please show us these "many cases". Many would mean more than two or three.

Here's 25 cases right here that cost Uber $10 million.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/uber-settles-driver-background-check-case-least-10m-n552741

"Prosecutors ratcheted up pressure on the company in August, expanding the lawsuit with claims that Uber failed to uncover the criminal records of 25 California drivers, including several registered sex offenders and a convicted murderer."

I'd say 25 meets the definition of "many cases." Looks like Another Uber Driver is on top of his facts. Twenty five in California alone, makes one wonder just how big the failed number is across every market Uber operates in.

Another Uber Driver

...........a-a-a-a-a-nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd you are making up that.

Now go play in your phantasy world while the adults discuss reality.

Thank you, Beur. I guess that I need not mention the Texas cases. Twenty-five in California ought to be enough, as you so correctly indicate. In addition, some people fail to understand that one woman raped is three too many.

Beur

Thank you, Beur. I guess that I need not mention the Texas cases. Twenty-five in California ought to be enough, as you so correctly indicate. In addition, some people fail to understand that one woman raped is three too many.
When it comes to background checks I don't understand these Uber apologists, unless of course they have something to hide!

Here's my cup of pee, vial of blood, and my fingers, get to printing them and running my background! Nothing to hide here.

RamzFanz

Here's 25 cases right here that cost Uber $10 million.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/uber-settles-driver-background-check-case-least-10m-n552741

"Prosecutors ratcheted up pressure on the company in August, expanding the lawsuit with claims that Uber failed to uncover the criminal records of 25 California drivers, including several registered sex offenders and a convicted murderer."

I'd say 25 meets the definition of "many cases." Looks like Another Uber Driver is on top of his facts. Twenty five in California alone, makes one wonder just how big the failed number is across every market Uber operates in.
"In many cases, these drivers passed the TNC's' private background check, but, upon arrest, when the police ran a background check, previous convictions for violent crimes showed."

You notice the part where it says "upon arrest"? So no, that's not 25 cases. That's no cases.

RamzFanz

There is no evidence of:
  • Fingerprint checks resulting in a safer outcome for customers.
  • Uber drivers committing crimes at a higher rate than taxi drivers.
Hundreds of my passengers have told me stories of being swindled by taxi drivers.

You made a claim that many drivers have been arrested and then they found criminal backgrounds. I'm waiting for your list.

RamzFanz

When it comes to background checks I don't understand these Uber apologists, unless of course they have something to hide!

Here's my cup of pee, vial of blood, and my fingers, get to printing them and running my background! Nothing to hide here.
I would have no issue with background checks if they could demonstrate a safer outcome for passengers. Until they do, it's just more political incursion on the free market based upon their whims to justify their existence. We're just now shaking off a century of taxi / politician corput monopolization through regulation, I'm not interested in going back.

If you moved to a neighborhood, should the police just show up and search your home and belongings just to make sure you aren't a criminal or are we supposed to have a right to privacy? On the whim of the government? Show me your papers?

The old "if you have nothing to hide" you should surrender all your rights is the exact opposite of the reason we have these rights. I don't surrender rights on someone else's whim and I've had high security clearances, so, nothing to hide.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

There is no evidence of:
  • Fingerprint checks resulting in a safer outcome for customers.
  • Uber drivers committing crimes at a higher rate than taxi drivers.
Hundreds of my passengers have told me stories of being swindled by taxi drivers.

You made a claim that many drivers have been arrested and then they found criminal backgrounds. I'm waiting for your list.
TL;dr

ChortlingCrison

I would have no issue with background checks if they could demonstrate a safer outcome for passengers. Until they do, it's just more political incursion on the free market based upon their whims to justify their existence. We're just now shaking off a century of taxi / politician corput monopolization through regulation, I'm not interested in going back.

If you moved to a neighborhood, should the police just show up and search your home and belongings just to make sure you aren't a criminal or are we supposed to have a right to privacy? On the whim of the government? Show me your papers?

The old "if you have nothing to hide" you should surrender all your rights is the exact opposite of the reason we have these rights. I don't surrender rights on someone else's whim and I've had high security clearances, so, nothing to hide.
How long have you been on uber's secret payroll?

ChortlingCrison

Why don't you prove they weren't. Uber can do no wrong can they. LOLOL