Cigarette burn help

Isai

So a passenger ended up burning the interior of the car with a cigarette. I contacted Uber about the damage and I was told to file a form and pretty much it seems too much like something you'd fill out in the case of an actual accident with another driver or the car hitting something. Anyway.. went to Honda and I was told it'd about a little below $1000 to get it fixed since it's the top cloth/interior part of the car that was burnt. This price includes labor work and cost of the part. Uber also has a message on the E-mail requesting a picture of my insurance declorations page to know that I have "Physical damage coverage" which from what I'm reading I apparently don't have anything labeled as that. Everything I have is for some type of accident and basically the absolute minimum.

What I want to know is if I can still pursue the repair cost or if this is actually impossible. Obviously I want this fixed considering it will lower the value of the car when I eventually sell it and ofc it doesn't look well for the nonsmokers that will be getting into the car and really hate the thought of smoking so much that they would give an instant low rating even though theres no ash or smell in the car.

MattyMikey

Hey I know you're new but why on earth would you allow a passenger to smoke a cigarette in your car in the first place?

I would file a small claims lawsuit to get my money.

Ben105

It may be called something else on your insurance, but basically there are two types of insurance coverage for a car: liability (your liability in an at-fault accident paid to the other drivers) and comprehensive (which covers damage to your car). Liability is required to be on the road. Comprehensive is optional unless your car is financed or leased. If it is financed/leased, it is mandated by the lien holder to also have collision and usually with a relatively low deductable.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

Cigaret smoke does not bother me, but I do not allow it in my taxi or my Uber car because Uber users tend not to like it. If your car smells like cigaret smoke, your customers will low-rate you and send nastygrams to Uber about how your car smells like cigaret smoke.

Ben105

Plus getting the smell out of your car is extremely difficult. My car doesn't even have ash trays (2014 CRV). I'm a non-smoker and it exacerbates by asthma and allergies. So definitely a NO, but even if not, I wouldn't allow it for the smell alone forever lingering in my car and getting into the upholstery.

SEAL Team 5

So a passenger ended up burning the interior of the car with a cigarette. I contacted Uber about the damage and I was told to file a form and pretty much it seems too much like something you'd fill out in the case of an actual accident with another driver or the car hitting something. Anyway.. went to Honda and I was told it'd about a little below $1000 to get it fixed since it's the top cloth/interior part of the car that was burnt. This price includes labor work and cost of the part. Uber also has a message on the E-mail requesting a picture of my insurance declorations page to know that I have "Physical damage coverage" which from what I'm reading I apparently don't have anything labeled as that. Everything I have is for some type of accident and basically the absolute minimum.

What I want to know is if I can still pursue the repair cost or if this is actually impossible. Obviously I want this fixed considering it will lower the value of the car when I eventually sell it and ofc it doesn't look well for the nonsmokers that will be getting into the car and really hate the thought of smoking so much that they would give an instant low rating even though theres no ash or smell in the car.
Your thread is "Cigarette Burn Help". No way is Uber going to reimburse you and your insurance claim would be under your comprehensive since the burn wasn't caused by you operating your vehicle. What is your deductible? Does your carrier know you operate fare for hire?

UberMeansSuper

You're screwed.

Uber will send an email to your pax asking, "did you do this?" and they'll say no, and Uber will be all like, "nope, pax says it wasn't them. Sorry."

Unless you have rideshare/TNC coverage (which you likely don't), if you even try to claim it, they'll drop you (I mean, it's not like you'd make a claim for your own cigarette mishaps or those of your family or friends you let in the car, so your insurance company will put 2 and 2 together).

Take the loss and don't let anyone light anything in your car again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oscarthegrouch

I had an incident like this a few months ago. I was driving late night and picked up 4 punks from a house party. Next thing I know I smell cig smoke and said why in the @$!# are you smoking in my car and told them to get out.

When I got home I saw that they had burnt a hole in my third row seat. I filed a claim with Uber via the app. I took pictures and explained what had happened. They told me to get an estimate for repairs and submit it to them. My third seat is vynl so I found a local repair shop and they gave me a estimate for $135. I sent it to uber and was reimbursed within a few days.

Ben105

I had an incident like this a few months ago. I was driving late night and picked up 4 punks from a house party. Next thing I know I smell cig smoke and said why in the @$!# are you smoking in my car and told them to get out.

When I got home I saw that they had burnt a hole in my third row seat. I filed a claim with Uber via the app. I took pictures and explained what had happened. They told me to get an estimate for repairs and submit it to them. My third seat is vynl so I found a local repair shop and they gave me a estimate for $135. I sent it to uber and was reimbursed within a few days.
Glad to hear they covered you! I had a couple of ladies ding my pax door when they went to punch in the gate code. They chipped the protective coating and a little of the paint underneath. Uber told me I could claim it under JR, but would most likely not be covered and declared normal wear and tear. Normal wear and tear? I don't go around dinging my doors into brick walls. Who does?

LA Cabbie

1) It's the high mileage put on your car driving for Uber that will ruin the resale value of your car.

2) Do what the above poster did, take the car for repair at a non dealer shop and present the bill to Uber. Ain't no-one going to reimburse you dealer costs.

Ben105

I did the above and uber claimed it normal wear and tear. I paid to have it fixed because if not, when water gets in it, it will further separate the paint from the door as the protective seal and some paint actually chipped off. They said it's kind of like a little chip in the windshield, as soon as weather hits it, it will get worse fast.