Uber Drivers Forum banner

Christie signs the bill, and what it means for us

9K views 95 replies 34 participants last post by  Caspita 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Mandatory trade dress.

123. A transportation network company shall create an identifying marker which shall be submitted to the commission for recording, issued to every transportation network company driver, and displayed on the driver's personal vehicle when the driver logs on to the transportation network company's digital network as a driver or provides a prearranged ride.

Personal insurance can still deny coverage.

2. a. Notwithstanding the "Motor Vehicle Security-Responsibility Law," P.L.1952, c.173 (C.39:6-23 et seq.) and P.L.1972, c.197 (C.39:6B-1 et seq.), an insurance company duly licensed to transact business under the insurance laws of this State may exclude any and all coverage afforded under a private passenger automobile insurance policy issued to an owner or operator of a personal vehicle for any loss or injury that occurs while the personal vehicle is being used by a transportation network company driver and the driver is logged on to a transportation network company's digital network 1[as a driver]1 or is providing a prearranged ride.

#19 ·
They'll probably do what they do with PA drivers and just extend insurance to cover drivers whenever the app is on. As I am already registered in the PA market I already have that
Could you elaborate on the details? Did your current insurance company "extend insurance to cover drivers whenever the app is on" or did you have to switch to a new insurance company, e.g. Farmers to get coverage whenever the app is on? If your current insurance company extended coverage, was there an increase in the monthly fee? I'm just trying to get an idea of what might happen to the insurance here at the Jersey Shore. Thanks for any help you can provide.

#21 ·
Drivers pay for background checks:

"The cost of the criminal history record background check conducted pursuant to this subsection, including all costs of administering and processing the criminal history record background check, shall be borne by the applicant or driver, as applicable."

#25 ·
Dear summer,
It's on jersey Shore will be my second home.
Funny...now that uber has control, do you think they will continue to have the shore rates higher? I could be wrong, but I would bet that by the summer, the rates will drop to the rest of the state. They will most likely wait until the summer since the shore is slower now and they need some drivers to still maintain the area.

Oh and after living at the shore for the past 35 years, they are not going to stop writing tickets...but now they will write you a ticket uber won't cover and it will count towards violations that will eventually get you banned from operating under this bill.

Shore tickets:
•Stopping in a no stopping
•Rolling through a stop sign
•Speeding (most shore towns will issue ticket for anything over 2mph at summer)
•Seat belt violations (driver is responsible for passengers)
•Any light out
•double parking (need to be at a curb to pickup/drop off)
•Stopping for pedestrians

Shore cops have never played games with tickets and have always been hard core for the 8 months of the year! Good luck if you think there will still be money to be made now that uber has control of the state.

#31 · (Edited)
I hope shore rate stays...But I predict it will go down to .87 with constant "boosts" to cover the party areas/hours (since that business model is working so well in Hudson-freaking-County). I know I'm ranting, but I'm so sick and tired of getting texts and emails from Uber telling me to go Hudson County like it's a pot o'gold.

They really should try $1.75 statewide with no surges for passengers. If they did that, I'd be happy to take most every ping, even the 10-20 minute ones. But this is Uber we are talking about.

#32 ·
Excellent discussion, all! I edited the pinned thread accordingly, and placed a link to this thread in it so that new drivers can come here for information. Thanks to everyone who's contributed.

#38 · (Edited)
I remember that. I remember I told you to drive around with your high beams until you got it fixed. Well I took my own advice couple weeks ago and got a warning for unlawful use of high beams and a ticket for inadequate bulb maintenance. $54 ticket so I'm publicly admitting I was wrong and don't ever use your high beams when you have a headlight out while drivers are coming towards you to try and hide the fact that your bulb is out. LOL

Cartoon Organism Gesture Fawn Deer

#49 ·
I've driven in every shore town every summer for decades ..., I've never seen someone pulled over for 2mph. Frankly I hope every idiot who decides to speed, block traffic, stop in the middle of the road, etc get tickets
if any shore town it would be wall twp. their very strict,this is a town that took their own captain in and charged him with a dwi.dont put anything past them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.