1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

China’s Didi the latest to join local ride-sharing ranks

Discussion in 'Melbourne' started by Ben Hall, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Ben Hall

Ben Hall Well-Known Member

The world’s most valuable start-up unicorn is motoring into Australia, with Didi Chuxing opting for Australia as its first English-speaking market to take on Uber and the growing number of ride-sharing rivals.

The Chinese behemoth, which is worth more than Uber with an approximate valuation of $US56 billion ($74bn), has conducted initial testing in Geelong and says it is now ready to expand into Melbourne and then the rest of Australia.

Didi general manager for Australia and New Zealand Dillon Ye told The Australian that ride-sharing users would prefer Didi’s focus on user experience and safety, adding that the company carried out a detailed market analysis before identifying Australia as the perfect target market.

“Australians have a real focus on embracing new technologies and trying new things, and those were big factors,” Mr Ye said. “We have been testing in Geelong and getting feedback from our riders and drivers. We wanted to optimise and polish our service before we can serve to bigger cities.”

The company is aware that it is entering into a crowded market, taking on not only Uber but Taxify, Ingogo, GoCatch, Ola and Oiii, and it is luring new users with a 50 per cent discount for the month of July as well as a $200 bonus for new drivers.

It also said it was the only ride-sharing app in Australia to offer 24/7 phone support for riders and drivers.

While new to Australia, the company carries about 30 million rides a day worldwide, far more than the combined daily rides of all other ride-sharing companies.

Mr Ye said the fact that Didi had set up a subsidiary in Australia meant it was here for the long haul.

“This is a very important market, it’s a long-term commitment,” he said. “We want to be a part of the local community.”

Ride-sharing is serious business, with Toyota this week sinking $US1bn into Grab, which bought Uber Asia. Didi is also a major investor in Grab.

Didi’s own investors include Apple, which invested $US1bn in 2016, along with Apple’s smartphone parts manufacturer, Foxconn, and fellow Chinese tech giants Tencent and Weibo.

Mr Ye said Didi’s ambitions go far beyond ride-sharing, with the company now working behind the scenes on artificial intelligence and smart city efforts, things it hopes it can bring to Australia one day.

The federal government has expressed security concerns over Chinese tech giant Huawei but Mr Ye said Didi had good relationships with the various levels of Australian government.

“We ensure we are complying with all the regulations for the market in Australia, and we’ve worked with local government closely. We cherish those relationships,” he said.

“We care about both rider and drivers’ safety and experience, and we ensure we are 100 per cent compliant with all the legislation.

“We hope our initial debut here will be a perfect one.”

ronscar and scalextric like this.
  2. Seiko Obsession

Seiko Obsession Well-Known Member

Yeah base ants will end up with phone in each air went.
    Some of them already do.

hardtimes, Ben Hall and Tom2828 like this.
  3. Silk Singh

Silk Singh Active Member

Uni students will love this cheap rides for a Month.

I wonder if Uber is going to have access to the names of the drivers that signup with Didi.
    As punishment add another 10% commission when Didi leave:)

Tony852 likes this.
  4. Goatsheep

Goatsheep Well-Known Member

Their commission rate is 20%. Not much different from Uber. Only thing going for them is that the driver can see the destination.

Apollo, Tom2828 and U8er like this.
  5. Franco Cozzo

Franco Cozzo Well-Known Member

Which is great

But needs surge or power zones

Apollo likes this.
  6. Tiktak

Tiktak Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    887D0DCF-5012-494D-83FF-C137C70AA6DD.jpeg

scalextric and U8er like this.
  7. Scottie B

Scottie B Well-Known Member

Gee theres not much room for old mate JimsRideshare

Apollo, Golfer and Franco Cozzo like this.
  8. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That's actually HUGE. How are they getting drivers to take crap trips?

9. Goatsheep

Goatsheep Well-Known Member

Got the $200 two weeks ago when I drove in geelong for a weekend. They paid promptly.

Apollo likes this.
  10. U8er

U8er Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Does this statement mean that even a slight complaint from the paxhole could deactivate the ants?

Wayne01 and Apollo like this.
  11. ubermercury

ubermercury Well-Known Member

“This is a very important market”

Sure - 24m people when they move 30m people a day, mostly in China.
    What they don’t say is that Uber has already done the hard work of getting the market legitimised in all jurisdictions.

12. Immoralized

Immoralized Well-Known Member

I'll sign up for the $200 could use more massages :) Ola offers 24/7 phone support so they are already lying that they will be the only rideshare company. Seem like their market research team is failing already.

The thing is people don't have to worry about Uber in 2019 since all their rivals in the markets they got pushed out of is coming after them in Australia. Uber 2019 is no go. They won't be getting any percentages either "for buyout".... It is the hottest battleground in the world where both Didi and Ola going to squash them like a bug. The thing about indians and the chinese are they play the long game. Uber only looks towards tomorrow.

Until such times... I'll still drive for all three :oops: Uber had the whole of Australia in it hot little hands and built no relationships with drivers or rewarded them but went on ahead cutting rates lower and lower. Competing against itself now all it rivals coming here to chase them out of Australia. It quite poetic. What Uber did to the taxi company and all the small luxury outfit companies in Australia is going to happen to them.

If Didi wants to give me couple of hundred dollars... By all means come to daddy :p

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    DA08, Flipper1000, Apollo and 2 others like this.
  13. Solarman

Solarman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Mine take up 2 of the 6 air vents - 4 in front and 2 in back. Now I have to use a 3rd as I just finished uploading my step to DIDIDIDIDI. Or I could use the window suction cup thing. Oh, I'm such a good little (part time) ant.

And it wasn't that long ago, Uber were throwing $600.00 away.

Golfer likes this.
  14. Immoralized

I'll be using the suction cup thing for my 3rd phone. Otherwise be "reaching" for the 3rd phone far on the left side.

The days of Uber promotions are... Dead, Buried and Cremated. :D
    Uber done competing. Whole reason Didi came into Oz when it say it did nothing when Taxify landed. It stood idle when Ola arrived and all that signaled to Didi that Australia was ripe for the picking.

All Uber going to do is get pushed out after crushing the taxi industry and all the other outfits out there to bow out gracefully. It couldn't compete in China against Didi and it not in the mood to spend any $$ on drivers. It the last nail in the coffin for Uber.

I don't see a way out for Uber on this one. Maybe someone else can? :oops: What I think Uber going to do is proceed in the Australia market give no resistance and just keep on operating as "business as usual" until such time it no longer profitable and say okay folks time for us to leave ;) we had fun and we made a lot of money in Oz but due to fierce competition it is no longer feesible for us to remain operating in Australia.

Apollo likes this.
  15. Immoralized

ur not allowed to advertise referrals goat :eek:

Apollo and Goatsheep like this.
  16. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Don't worry about Jimbob.He's still got plenty in the kit.;)

Very efficient the Chinese.:oops:

U8er, Golfer and Immoralized like this.
  17. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Ahhh stuff the other rideshare mobs, I'm gonna stay ahead of the game :)
    Stick with Uber, I'm off to get my pilot's licence :)
    When my avatar changes to the
    RED BARON you will know I got it :cool:

18. Immoralized

2023 though you sure you going to be alive that long? :p:eek:

Tiktak, Golfer and Apollo like this.
  19. Apollo

Apollo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Lol.Hey leave us old boy's alone.:oops:

20. ronscar

ronscar Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I can see a huge problem involving driving concentration looming. We all know why !