Child Seat Confusion

Albatraoz

Sorry guys i'm new to Uber Melbourne, I was just wondering how do we handle the child seat scenario? From what I understand we are supposed to provide a child seat for children under a certain age? Is that right? Does every uber carry a child seat or do uber drivers simply refuse to drive children under a certain age?

Thanks guys.

LevelX

I was just wondering how do we handle the child seat scenario?
You don't, if the pax has a child under 7 yo, that child needs a child/booster seat. If the pax doesn't supply one, then basically no ride. As the driver can be fined.

From what I understand we are supposed to provide a child seat for children under a certain age?
who told you this? The pax? Cause its wrong

Does every uber carry a child seat or do uber drivers simply refuse to drive children under a certain age?
On a case by case, The law says under 7 yo needs a child/booter seat etc.. I've taken a few kids that are questionable age.... I would guess about 5-6 yo, but wouldn't take any younger than this. Even then, I was a bit mixed about taking those ones!

If its a baby and they want to carry them in their arms, say no.

The problem is, taxis have a special law that allows them to get away without child seats and parents can carry a baby in their arms etc. Uber is a private car and the standard laws apply, if you are fined, you will pay the fine, not uber or the pax.

Sorry guys i'm new to Uber Melbourne,
PS welcome!!!

Grand

Sorry guys i'm new to Uber Melbourne, I was just wondering how do we handle the child seat scenario? From what I understand we are supposed to provide a child seat for children under a certain age? Is that right? Does every uber carry a child seat or do uber drivers simply refuse to drive children under a certain age?

Thanks guys.
Uber drivers are not required to supply child seats so I don't know where you got this information.
Suggest you look up the Uber web site, check the link below or look up local requirements for transporting children.. Suggest you also attend the presentations at you local Uber office which cover this and you can get clarification on many topics.

https://uberpeople.net/threads/new-australian-uber-drivers-info-tips-tricks-advice.54860/

eXperiment

I was always mystified and paranoid with the punters bringing babies on board and holding them like they were footballs. Never knew it was somehow legit in cabs, used to stress about coppers but the pax were usually desperate for a ride in those situations so i grinned and beared it.

With the hire car, had to go to one of the pager group drivers house, who had a baby seat at their place, or did a exchange at airport. This was whenever there was a booking for such requests, usually to and from airport, from memory charged ten bucks extra. These were typically for regular exec 'clients' going to from family hols, so couldn't charge too much extra, wouldn't look good!

Last edited:

UXDriver

Legal or not its a stupid parent who gets in a taxi without a baby or infant seat

When I travel I always book a private hire car and request a baby/infant seat

Yep costs around $15 but who cares about the price

whatsataxi

Had one tonight, pull up to Essendon station 5 adults and 3 toddlers all start to pile in to the car. I'm like people this aint gunna happen, they start saying its ok they can squeeze in and I tell them its not OK, 4 adults max and I don't have restraints for the toddlers. The one that speaks english starts to argue and says I am in the car now u have to take us. My reply "mate i spent 20 years working as a bouncer, u can get out of the car on your own or I can help you it's your choice."

They got out but I made sure to let them argue for 5 minutes. Cancel job thanks for being an idiot :smiles:

daredevil

Had one tonight, pull up to Essendon station 5 adults and 3 toddlers all start to pile in to the car. I'm like people this aint gunna happen, they start saying its ok they can squeeze in and I tell them its not OK, 4 adults max and I don't have restraints for the toddlers. The one that speaks english starts to argue and says I am in the car now u have to take us. My reply "mate i spent 20 years working as a bouncer, u can get out of the car on your own or I can help you it's your choice."

They got out but I made sure to let them argue for 5 minutes. Cancel job thanks for being an idiot :smiles:
What idiots and nice work

LevelX

5 adults and 3 kids!? Its not a mini van people!!!!!

hahaha nice work..... Did you cancel as a no show?

I would also report the trip to fuber and let them know, in case the pax puts a complaint in.

Damo66

I had one a few weeks ago. About 1:00am I get a ping for an apartment building, there's a couple waiting and the mother has a toddler in her arms. They wanted to go to the hospital. I told them I'd love to help them but I don't have a child restraint and it would be illegal for me to drive them. The father tried to argue the point, and said plenty of other Uber drivers have accepted their child. I explained that taxis are allowed to, but Uber drivers are not. Told him he needed to call a taxi. I cancelled the trip, no charge. He was p*ssed off, and I felt bad about not being able to help them, but I'm not risking a big fine, or a potential jail term if I have a crash and their child is injured or killed. And what sort of person would I be if I placed a child's life at risk just so I can make $10?! Uber needs to communicate this law to its drivers, as many either don't know it, or don't care.

joffie

Its sad how many parents think a $10 fare is more important then their children's lives.
Oh but its legal in Taxis.. call one then
The last driver did it.. well perhaps you should of gotten his direct number.
Quite sad really.

LevelX

Oh but its legal in Taxis..
and they are correct. Yes its LEGAL in a TAXI/BUS.... Its NOT LEGAL in anything else.... Do I look like a TAXI or a BUS? No.... So don't ask me to break the law.

Also the driver is responsible for making sure that:
  • all passengers are wearing seat belts or child restraints correctly
  • there is only one person in each seating position and seat belt.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/saf...of-road-rules/seat-belts-and-child-restraints

I've had a few in the back not wear them, but in the front the car beeps and I remind them to put it on, otherwise the beeping won't stop!

χ²(1)

For reference: Road Safety Road Rules 2009

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/D...AA5A0D62CACA25761E001F5FF1/$FILE/09-094sr.pdf

266 Wearing of seatbelts by passengers under 16 years
old

(1) The driver of a motor vehicle (except a bus or
motor bike) that is moving, or is stationary but not
parked, must ensure that this rule is complied with
for each passenger in or on the vehicle who is
under 16 years old.
Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(2) If the passenger is less than 6 months old, he or
she must be restrained in a suitable and properly
fastened and adjusted rearward facing approved
child restraint.

(2A) If the passenger is 6 months old or older, but is
less than 4 years old, he or she must be restrained
in a suitable and properly fastened and adjusted—
(a) rearward facing approved child restraint; or
(b) forward facing approved child restraint that
has an inbuilt harness.

(5) Subject to subrule (5A), the driver of a public
minibus or taxi is exempt from subrules (2), (2A)
and (2B) in relation to a passenger if—
(a) there is no suitable approved child restraint
available in the minibus or taxi for the
passenger; and
(b) if the minibus or taxi has 2 or more rows of
seats—the passenger is not in the front row
of seats.

Who is John Galt?

The update is it’s still illegal, but now there’s an option when you cancel for “child without child seat”
Really?

I haven't noticed that. That is a substantial improvement in communication, and I expect data collection. Do you know if this changes the 5 minute / no show wait time procedure?

Have you any personal experience with using this 'child without a child seat' option and the resultant cancellation?