Chicago taxis ask city to "get rid of Uber and Lyft"

wrigleyville

Future Looks Bleak For Cabbies As Rides Dip 41%: 'The Worst It's Ever Been'

Griese said that there's one thing the city could do that would save Chicago's cab industry: "Get rid of Uber and Lyft."

At least they're finally being honest about it. They're getting killed. What drives me nuts is that Alderman Anthony Beale has the nerve to say this:

"The cab industry is a different experience. Cabdrivers are ambassadors to the city. They know the city. They talk to you about the city," Beale said. "You aren't going to get that with Uber and Lyft."

Give me a @@@@ing break. He can't even admit that he's bought and paid for by taxis. He's pushing that license and fingerprint bill now because they want him to. He tried the same thing last year. Turns out six days after a watered down version of that passed he got a $15,000 check from taxis!

Last edited:

GlenviewKid

The city should kick these services out. Driver accountability on Ride Share is so low versus Taxi it is unreal. Plus the model doesn't even work, without Investor subsidy it breaks. The Taxi model works. + Austin still functions...

veblenrules

Ambassadors for the city... assuming you have Google Translate on your phone, and the city is trying to promote the pervasiveness of body odor and an overpowering aroma of foreign spices.
Careful. The non English speaking ride share drivers aren't on this thread and there are a lot of them. Like Uber and Lyft care if any warm body with a driver's license speaks English.

karachi

Cabs are obsolete. Most ChIraq cab companies will not survive the next 2 - 3 years given the current rate of attrition. Their time has come and gone. By the time they try to pivot, autonomous vehicles will be here and put us all out of work.

Last edited:

Cpw

They need to go back to uber and Lyft not being able to pick up at the airports. Here are the benefits. 1 less cab traffic downtown. 2 the drivers that only do airport ride will quit. 3 those scum of the earth inspectors and traffic control people will be out of jobs. 4 the city will be receiving complaints every day about the cab drivers. And 5 the city will lose out on a lot of revenue from all the ride share taxes

karachi

They need to go back to uber and Lyft not being able to pick up at the airports. Here are the benefits. 1 less cab traffic downtown. 2 the drivers that only do airport ride will quit. 3 those scum of the earth inspectors and traffic control people will be out of jobs. 4 the city will be receiving complaints every day about the cab drivers. And 5 the city will lose out on a lot of revenue from all the ride share taxes
Keep dreaming! The city loves the windfall of money from all the rideshare money right now coming in from airport runs. Money is like crack, once you are hooked it's hard to let it go. This city is the most pro-Uber city in the world. Believe this!!! This is ground-zero for the death of the traditional cab industry. Quote me on this people!!! ChIraq cabs have 2-3 years tops given the current rate of attrition. RIP ineffective and outdated cabbies.

Last edited:

quesie

The city should kick these services out. Driver accountability on Ride Share is so low versus Taxi it is unreal. Plus the model doesn't even work, without Investor subsidy it breaks. The Taxi model works. + Austin still functions...
I'm actually in favor of the fingerprinting of drivers. I think by its very nature, rideshare can (sometimes) attract less than upstanding citizens.

karachi

I'm actually in favor of the fingerprinting of drivers. I think by its very nature, rideshare can (sometimes) attract less than upstanding citizens.
Same here. Although many will call you out for being racist given that fingerprinting will disproportionately affect a certain segment (read race) of society. Time to thin out the herd and remove the less than desirables who are a ticking timebomb in affecting the Uber brand. You smoke weed and drive high, you don't need to be driving for Uber, period. Stay home and do whatever you please.

Last edited:

ZKUSHIKURIDOTO

Ambassadors for the city... assuming you have Google Translate on your phone, and the city is trying to promote the pervasiveness of body odor and an overpowering aroma of foreign spices.

Seems to me your describing uber and lyft drivers.

Careful. The non English speaking ride share drivers aren't on this thread and there are a lot of them. Like Uber and Lyft care if any warm body with a driver's license speaks English.

No they don't give a fudge if you are fluent in English because you are irrelevant to their business model. Listen to your boss, what Travis said

Cabs are obsolete. Most ChIraq cab companies will not survive the next 2 - 3 years given the current rate of attrition. Their time has come and gone. By the time they try to pivot, autonomous vehicles will be here and put us all out of work.

Not so fast homie, these guys in NY know something and they're coming to chicago

http://www.businessinsider.com/fund...t-nyc-taxi-kings-foreclosed-medallions-2017-9

Last edited by a moderator:

Mapnik

What a hard-hitting piece of journalism...

Let's take a closer look at something:

{Griese said he has looked into becoming a ride-share driver, but "the math didn't work out" to being better than leasing a taxi. He prefers the 12-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week grind of driving a taxi.

"It gives me the freedom of setting my hours," Griese said.}

So what Griese is saying is that:

He can still make more money on a net basis driving a taxi.... everyone here needs to think long and hard about this.

Why would you still continue to see so many taxis on the road if there was "nothing, just nothing...." as I've heard it quoted before.... there's definitely not "nothing" for a taxi driver.

The part that is being totally missed here is the difference and relationship between the drivers and the medallions.

The drivers often don't own the medallions, they lease the car with the medallion. The driver has his own license and he can lease from anybody he wants to. He will not be "deactivated" by Carriage Cab or whatever, and even if he was, the driver can just go lease a taxi from somebody else. The only thing that takes the chauffeurs license away is *convictions*, which means we're not talking about a customer making up a story and then, bye-bye.

The medallions are mostly owned by what are essentially investors. Yes, there are some owner-operators out there that got hosed when Emanuel sold them down the river after the purchase - these people have every right to show up in Ravenswood with pitchforks; you can bet your ass I would be there. But the investors taking a bath? I could care less about an investor - that's what investing is all about; buy low-sell high, pal, or jump off a building.

The hidden subtext here is that the real losers are the medallion-owners. I've seen reports that say something like 40% of the medallions are "out of service" or basically parked cars. And the effect of that is the cost to lease a taxi is now very low if you shop around. A taxi lease covers everything but fuel, including the insurance and maintenance.

But when you consider that the taxi fleet has actually shrunk by, maybe, 40%, while the dip in trip revenue has been something like 60% since 2014, then you realize that the individual drivers are not getting hosed as bad as they claim to be. Plus you factor in the "off the meter" stuff. Now go back and read what Griese said.

The medallion holders are getting hosed, but does anyone really care about that? When business was booming they would charge those guys ridiculous rates on those leases, to the point where the city actually puts a ceiling on the lease at $695/week (something like that). This is the definition of something called "rent-seeking". And what goes around comes around.

Here's a hint that I just cannot believe nobody (not regulators, the council, anybody) in this city seems to grasp:

Maybe take a look at what they do in NYC. I'll tell you: there is 1 license, and it covers both taxi and 'rideshare', so "the drivers can do either one". It has evolved to that point. There is a class to take, there is a fingerprint requirement, and Uber/Lyft did not *pull out* of NYC, and taxi-trips still outnumber rideshare there.

And the last time I checked Uber gets $1.75/mile headline in NYC, by far the most out of any market. And don't tell me it's because the traffic is doubly bad in NYC as Chicago, because it's not. Let me repeat: it's not substantially worse in NYC than Chicago in terms of traffic, and if we're thinking it's "cost of living", well, maybe on rent but not on everything else. It's expensive as hell in Chicago with all the taxes on your head all day for everything.

So if you drive in NYC, you can do what works for you. Maybe that means "flexible earning opportunities" with 'rideshare' and no medallion, or maybe that means lease a taxi if you want to go 'all-in', and then you can pick up street-hails.

Lastly, think for a second how much easier it would be to just grab random people off the street rather than playing this completely jack-assed game of cat and mouse with GPS. How many times have you picked up at ORD and you're guy is 5 minutes away and there's 12 people standing there with forlorn looks on their faces, waiting for Whoeverthafack. It makes no sense at all. The bullshit you go through after an event... think about it.

Now, if you are an all-in sort of driver, go back and ask yourself why Griese drives a taxi. Is it because of the 'flexibility of choosing his own hours'... 12 hours a day, 7 days a week... how flexible is that? 100% of waking hours... is that still considered flexible? And, more critically, is that schedule any different than what a hardcore Uber driver does? That's roughly what I do, save for the midweek (hence why I'm posting right now), where it might be an 8 hour day.

karachi

Not so fast homie, these guys in NY know something and they're coming to chicago

http://www.businessinsider.com/fund...t-nyc-taxi-kings-foreclosed-medallions-2017-9
This is nothing but the pipedreams of some stupid hedgefund managers who don't give a rat's ass about gambling their investor's money. The ChIraq cab industry is on life support and need a freaking miracle to survive the next 3 years. And no, the fingerprinting will not be enough to save them. You can not compare NYC with ChIraq because they have tried to level the playing field there by making all requirements equal across the board in terms of rideshare vs cabs. Not the case here. The numbers are staggering:

https://uberpeople.net/threads/227-033-cars-have-a-chicago-tnp-tax-emblem.171047/#post-2542799

227,033 rideshare vs 6,999 medallions (of which 2940 are probably in foreclosure given they failed to post a ride in the last month)
So really 227,033 vs 4059. How you look at these numbers slapping you in the face and still say cabbies have a chance, is beyond my level of comprehension!

My logic is undeniable. Like I said, RIP

Last edited:

Mapnik

227,033 rideshare vs 6,999 medallions (of which 2940 are probably in foreclosure given they failed to post a ride in the last month)
So really 227,033 vs 4059.

My logic is undeniable. Like I said, RIP
Street hails. There's always street hails, and that's the one thing we can't do, and the one advantage the taxis have. And if you are a taxi, you don't have to "sit in Wicker Park for a half hour with no pings." And that's virtually the only advantage Uber has: being the despotic ruler of the ping-stream. A taxi can just go grab Pax, it's basically 3.0x surge all the time, and there's nobody else taking a 50% cut or manipulating this/that.

Taxis will never go away - a good transportation ecosystem has a lot of options working together, and each option will have its own niche.

karachi

Street hails. There's always street hails, and that's the one thing we can't do, and the one advantage the taxis have. And if you are a taxi, you don't have to "sit in Wicker Park for a half hour with no pings." You can just go grab Pax, IIt's basically 3.0x surge all the time, and there's nobody else taking a cut.
Ah, I forgot about the cabbies last hold out on rideshare, the good old street hails. I say it's not a strong issue given that people are now getting rideshare cars (including me) outside their doors in less then 3 minutes on average in most parts of the city. We can always delegate the street hails in the loop to all the electric rickshaws that have popped up all over the place.:smiles: Hahaha. God, those things were annoying during Riotfest.

Last edited:

Mapnik

I say it's not a strong issue given that people are now getting rideshare cars (including me) outside their doors in less then 3 minutes on average in most parts of the city.
That's true, but there are still place-times where the taxi has the advantage because of the silly match game. And there are numerous scenarios I could illustrate where that would happen... cities with established taxi markets are a different animal for Uber to tame then Kalamazoo Michigan or whatever.