Chicago releases Uber data to the public

SuperStar3000

Chicago first city to publish data on ride-hailing trips, drivers, and vehicles

The mayor along with the Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection and the Department of Innovation and Technology released three datasets on “Transportation Network Providers” which is how the city refers to ride-hailing services.

The published datasets include information about Uber, Lyft and Via trips—even listing how much drivers were tipped.

Here’s the online data that’s available in Chicago and will be updated quarterly.
  • Registered ride-hailing app vehicles: The make, model and year; month of last inspection, and total trips completed
  • Registered drivers: City of residence, driver’s start month, and total trips completed
  • Trips logged: A generalized pick-up and destination location, a rounded-up start and end time of trip, and a rounded-up trip fare and tip

leroy jenkins

4.8 million registered vehicles/drivers? Looks like a lot are not active, but that seems ridiculous
4.8 million can't be right (even though that's what the City website says). there are only 9-ish million people in Chicagoland/NW Indiana.

going to download a copy and play with it. as a semi-car geek, interested to see what kind of cars are the most popular. See if my guess of Nissan Versa as number 1 is right.

SuperStar3000

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great. Now both platforms can have a large swath of data to analyze their competitor 4 times a year. Watch as Uber and Lyft try to scam drivers even more to grab more market share and pennies. It’s basically allowing Gruden to look at the other coach’s playbook.
I think Uber and Lyft already have ways of knowing what each other is doing, so this data is more likely presented for the benefit of local transit analysts and city planners.

I have not taken any time to study it, but wonder if there might be some useful information hidden in there that could help a driver plan a more efficient and profitable strategy.

SatMan

so according to the City website, 2.1 million vehicles made 0 trips.

2.1 million vehicles made 12+ trips.

sounds insane. to be conservative, divide 2.1 million by 2.

so 1 million drivers who put some effort into Ubering?

still doesn't sound right. something has to be wrong with the data.
And how many drivers drove for the bonus only to find out it was only a guarantee instead.

4Wheels5Stars0Hopes

I think Uber and Lyft already have ways of knowing what each other is doing, so this data is more likely presented for the benefit of local transit analysts and city planners.

I have not taken any time to study it, but wonder if there might be some useful information hidden in there that could help a driver plan a more efficient and profitable strategy.
Not when it comes to completed trips, and rounded up time and cost to a certain market.

bpm45

So much for privacy ... Nevermind...no names ... No plate numbers.

Last edited:

Friendly Jack

Other interesting facts about rides, since November, 2018 (thanks to Curbed Chicago)...
  • About 82 percent of riders didn’t tip their driver. The most common tip left was $2 which 6 percent of riders gave and $1 which was only 4 percent of riders. :frown:
  • 82 percent of trips had just one passenger. (So much for reducing congestion!)
  • 26 percent of trips were $5, 21 percent were $7, and 14 percent were $10. That means more than half of the rides people request are less than $10 total.
Post automatically merged:

1 for each month???
Yes, reporting is by month. From the TNP Reporting Requirements Manual: "As part of its licensing process for Transportation Network Providers, Chicago requires the companies to report on their activities monthly." The data for drivers and vehicles very clearly confirms this. Along with a rather early start date I have a rather unique village of residence and vehicle Year/Model/Color. My corresponding data rows are very easy to identify and are existing one per month for nearly 5 years.

Last edited:

NoPooPool

4.8 million can't be right (even though that's what the City website says). there are only 9-ish million people in Chicagoland/NW Indiana.

going to download a copy and play with it. as a semi-car geek, interested to see what kind of cars are the most popular. See if my guess of Nissan Versa as number 1 is right.

Mr. Jenkins, the voice of reason once again. 4.8M people with current active and with good standing credentials, that would mean more than half of every man woman and child you see, is a registered ride share driver. Not likely.

Reactions: Nu1

New guy65

Mr. Jenkins, the voice of reason once again. 4.8M people with current active and with good standing credentials, that would mean more than half of every man woman and child you see, is a registered ride share driver. Not likely.
At of 2016 statistics there were 4.5 million cars registered in Illinois.
But as someone else said it’s monthly data. At least until 2018 when it went to 3 month periods

u_no_me

At first glance, the report looked surprisingly high quality for government work. But I'm not so sure. Beyond the number of registered vehicles, it is also suspicious how that there are drivers doing at least 900 rides per month. The percentage of those on multiple TNPs looks low, but I can perhaps accept that one. As a test of accuracy, I tried to look up my own vehicle, but the inability to do a joined query inhibited that. I guess I could export the data to refine my search, but really don't want to hose up my PC with that monster.

Friendly Jack

At of 2016 statistics there were 4.5 million cars registered in Illinois.
But as someone else said it’s monthly data. At least until 2018 when it went to 3 month periods
The 3 month timeframe is the city's public reporting frequency. It seems that TNPs must still report the data monthly to the city, per the TNP Reporting Requirements Manual.

Friendly Jack

OMG this information will be so addicting to comb through. 2.2 million drivers never even took their first ride.
Since this info reporting is monthly per driver, you can only conclude that there were a total of 2.2 million instances where a driver did not do a trip in a given month. For example, if a driver signed up 5 years ago and did one trip but hasn't done a trip since, there will be 59 instances (59 of 60 months reported) of that driver with zero trips completed. Frankly, I am surprised that the 2.2 million number isn't higher. This is simply a function of how long Uber/Lyft continues reporting inactive drivers to the city.

Last edited:

OP-Matt

Most pickups by census area (not surprising, but maybe interesting to see where ORD ranks)
1) No Value
2) 17031839100 - Loop
3) 17031980000 - ORD
4) 17031320100 - North Millennium Park (Park to the river)
5) 17031081700 - River North