Chicago | Rahm Emanuel's new ride-share, taxi proposal

UberCemetery

Sucks for the pros trying to make a living and supporting their families, providing ground transportation services. >>> We will give you a raise but at the same time let others join you at below industry standard per mile pricing.

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rahm's proposals for TNCs & Taxis in Chicago will make driving a cab an unviable occupation to even keep my bills paid. I figure I have three months to work hard to save enough to be able to transition to another line of work.

Thus I will be drastically scaling back my presence on the Forum. If any Forum Member would like to bring anything to my attention, please tag chi1cabby in your post.

Lastly, Drivers operational reality IS NOT going to change for the better unless Uber is held accountable in Courts of Law, for violations of Partnership Agreement and engaging in Bad Faith practices with the Drivers. So I urge ALL Forum Members to welcome New Members by asking them to read their Partnership Agreement and alerting them to the fact that New Drivers only have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration

Thank you!

Last edited:

UberCemetery

Rahm's proposals for TNCs & Taxis in Chicago will make driving a cab an unviable occupation to even keep my bills paid. I figure I have three months to work hard to save enough to be able to transition to another line of work.

Thus I will be drastically scaling back my presence on the Forum. If any Forum would like to bring anything to my attention, please tag chi1cabby in your post.

Lastly, Drivers operational reality IS NOT going to change for the better unless Uber is held accountable in Courts of Law, for violations of Partnership Agreement and engaging in Bad Faith practices with the Drivers. So I urge ALL Forum Members to welcome New Members by asking them to read their Partnership Agreement and alerting them to the fact that New Drivers only have 30 Days to Opt-out of Binding Arbitration

Thank you!
This is the 100% truth. From one pro to another. Its only a matter of time chi1cabby

S_hicago

Personally, I for one will probably not do airports even if allowed. It will be just like Navy Pier for me. If I get called there for a drop off I will shut off until I can scoot a few miles away.

Sitting in a cell phone lot waiting for Uber to decide it's my turn doesn't sound like fun. Can't sit in the taxi lane even if allowed, since you can't pick up random people like a cab can. Getting screamed at by rent-a-cops for a half hour doesn't sound like fun. Taking 30 min to circle back through the terminal to a pissed off pax doesn't sound like fun. Trying to find people in that shitstorm who will make no effort to help you locate them doesn't seem like fun. They probably wouldn't even text you what airline they are on. Picking up people who just got anal probed 3 hours ago by TSA and want to take it out on your rating... not fun. Dealing with people who ping you from 30K feet above Nevada because they want you to be waiting for them when they land doesn't sound like fun.

Some exaggerated, some not, still doesn't seem like fun.

For instance they will probably ping you from baggage claim, not Nevada. When you get kicked out by a rent-a-cop and made to circle around it may only take 15 min to find your pissed off passenger. They probably only got anal from the TSA's sausage finger, since anal probes are under the jurisdiction of space aliens.

Last edited:

leroy jenkins

The "obvious"/fair solution is ban all Uber/Lyft pick-ups around downtown----say Halsted to Lake Michigan, North Av to Roosevelt. And let cabs keep ORD/MDW pickups.

Uber-ing at ORD/MDW will be a cluster$$$$ and no sane UberX driver should want it---for every ride into the city, you're going to get sent to Oak Lawn or Gurnee.

I hate pickups downtown and turn my app off if I'm down there unless it's late at night.

pizza guy

The "obvious"/fair solution is ban all Uber/Lyft pick-ups around downtown----say Halsted to Lake Michigan, North Av to Roosevelt. And let cabs keep ORD/MDW pickups.

Uber-ing at ORD/MDW will be a cluster$$$$ and no sane UberX driver should want it---for every ride into the city, you're going to get sent to Oak Lawn or Gurnee.

I hate pickups downtown and turn my app off if I'm down there unless it's late at night.
I agree with most of that. The Loop is not worth the headache for so many reasons. Airports might work if driver could request and pax enter either city or suburb dropoff location. Without you end about as far from where you want to be as possible.

veblenrules

Ride-hailing companies to get airport access in exchange for 15 percent cab fare hike
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...port-access-exchange-15-percent-cab-fare-hike

Emanuel calls for new ride-share, taxi fees
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-uber-taxi-fare-hike-0919-20150918-story.html
I don't see how the logistics are going to work at the airports. There's no room now in the taxi or livery lanes for ride share pickups and the public access areas are usually packed to the gills as well. If ride shares are allowed to pick up in the dcparture area there will be horror stories to tell since so many private parties and bootleggers already pick up there. Also, what's to prevent folks from putting bogus Uber emblems in their windshields to pick up their friends and family in the ride share pick up area? This will also have a huge impact on American Taxi and 303 drivers. It's going to be the O.K. Corral at the airports when these guys realize that they're twisting in the wind because of ride shares. Fistfights anyone?
It will do wonders for the reputation of ride share drivers who already can't find their way around the city when they really can't find their way around the burbs.

Last edited:

UberCemetery

I agree it will be even a bigger mess. They most likely will have to assign a door or 2 for uber pickups in each terminal. Yesterday (Wednesday) it took me 23 minutes from the commercial vehicle holding lot to get to terminal 3 at ORD as they are currently doing road construction on the taxi and livery only road. It was about 4:00 PM. Not even a Thursday or Friday night.

veblenrules

I agree it will be even a bigger mess. They most likely will have to assign a door or 2 for uber pickups in each terminal. Yesterday (Wednesday) it took me 23 minutes from the commercial vehicle holding lot to get to terminal 3 at ORD as they are currently doing road construction on the taxi and livery only road. It was about 4:00 PM. Not even a Thursday or Friday night.
If they assign specific doors for ride share pickups they only increase the congestion somewhere else. They'll also have to control ride share access in some way or the amount of bootlegging will be huge.

leroy jenkins

Uber (and I think Lyft too) set up virtual pickup queues for drivers at other airports. UberX drivers will probably be sent to the cell phone lots to wait for pings (which are too small to hold the regular folk and the 10+ UberX cars that'll be there 20/7.

Rahm just wants the $5 pick-up/drop-off tax.

veblenrules

Uber (and I think Lyft too) set up virtual pickup queues for drivers at other airports. UberX drivers will probably be sent to the cell phone lots to wait for pings (which are too small to hold the regular folk and the 10+ UberX cars that'll be there 20/7.

Rahm just wants the $5 pick-up/drop-off tax.
The question as to where ride shares pick up still remains.

veblenrules

if City Hall had some sense, they'd make pax to get on that airport tram and head to Terminal 5. the arrival lanes there are calm most of the time.
If passengers have to take a train just to get to their ride out of the airport they'll just take the taxis in front of the terminals. Wouldn't you?

leroy jenkins

If passengers have to take a train just to get to their ride out of the airport they'll just take the taxis in front of the terminals. Wouldn't you?
that's the whole point. city still gets their $$$, cabs/livery get keep their monopoly. Cheapskates want Uber, need to put in a little sweat equity.

from my own perspective as a UberX driver, cabs/livery can keep the ORD/MDW pick-ups.

For UberX drivers, the I-190 congestion getting into/out of the airport, the randomness of destinations, the queue with all the other UberX drivers, I don't think it's worth it for UberX.

obviously other people may differ.

just sayin' there's normally plenty of room at Terminal 5 arrivals while T1 - 3 arrivals are clusterf$$$ from 8am to 10pm.