• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Chicago hearing for headlight out violation

Halfmybrain

Yesterday I went to 400 W Superior for my administrative hearing after a Wrigleyville Cop ticketed me for Driving While Cyclops. I brought a receipt for the new bulb and the City Attorney dismissed the charge. There were no administrative fees. Good news.

I had wanted to try my hand at riding an El but my Ventra app had not worked on Metra, so I called for an Uber on the way there, and walked back to LaSalle & Van Buren after.

Halfmybrain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I DID buy a ticket in the app, it wasn't loading. I had no problem using the Internet. Conductor said that, this being the first major commuter day of December, the system has lots of problems. So my ride to the City was free.

I wasn't sure if Ventra worked with CTA. I saw a sign by an El entrance that you needed a card. I have Ventra card too, but yeah--wasn't too clear about how it worked.

Is Ventra not the one-card solution to commuting in the city? (Prior to rideshare dominance)

UberServant

So I was given a ticket for having a headlight out. I never actually was written up by anyone and also never received one in the mail but I happened to be checking online and see I have an outstanding ticket sitting there. Since when did this become a fineable offense and not a "fix it" ticket. I replaced the headlight at the first available opportunity. I know the city is desperate for money but this is beyond a joke.

Grunions

So I was given a ticket for having a headlight out. I never actually was written up by anyone and also never received one in the mail but I happened to be checking online and see I have an outstanding ticket sitting there. Since when did this become a fineable offense and not a "fix it" ticket. I replaced the headlight at the first available opportunity. I know the city is desperate for money but this is beyond a joke.
Cops try to use that to see if they can bust you for something else. A lot of suburbs will ticket for that if they see you.

Zap

This unpleasantness can be avoided by doing your "pre-flight check" before rolling. Something fails the check, get 'er fixed pronto. Even 1 bulb out over your rear license plate is enough to get pulled over - mandatory appearance, $1K max fine. OP got a slap on the wrist - kudos to Halfmybrain but next time...