Chicago can now make more on a Uber X ride than the driver!

OP-Matt

Bothers me.
-They claim that it will ease congestion (it will not).
-They claim it will take in 40mil, with only 2mil going to some improved bus lanes (will not appreciably ease congestion).
-They claim it will drive more people to use pool, which will not ease congestion in the loop as drivers wait for their dumbass pool pax to figure out which corner to go to. Ultimately cancel, and force a second car to try to find them!
-A flat dollar fee tax like this is regressive, poor person going from work to train in the cold will pay the same tax as rich person from loop to Gold Coast.
-Doesn’t tax limo or taxi service, private cars, delivery trucks, all of which contribute to congestion, with trucks perhaps contributing the most.

This tax is a money grab by Chicago against Uber and Lyft whom they see as deep pocket corporate monsters (they are of course) responsible for decreased CTA ridership (again true) and the death of the taxi industry (true yet again). What they don’t see is taxis and cta were/are crap. If they truly wanted to ease congestion, all 40mil will be put right back into cta. But it won’t. Because they are scummy liars.

This tax will affect citizens and drivers, not the well off millennials and corporate expense accounts who are largest responsible.

ChrisFZ

And this is why the city of Chicago doesn't stick up for drivers rights like New York or California.

To your own detriment...you take Ubers stance on issues that benefits Uber. Because insanity.

OP-Matt

And this is why the city of Chicago doesn't stick up for drivers rights like New York or California.

To your own detriment...you take Ubers stance on issues that benefits Uber. Because insanity.
I take Uber’s side on this one because this tax will hurt drivers. More pool is bad for drivers. Pissy riders paying higher tax is bad for drivers. Pissy riders paying higher tax means lower tips for drivers. More riders taking other transportation is bad for drivers.

Shakur

Pool is trash

Lyft shared in burbs is okay

I have started to NOT take pool rides unless its in burbs

New guy65

I take Uber’s side on this one because this tax will hurt drivers. More pool is bad for drivers. Pissy riders paying higher tax is bad for drivers. Pissy riders paying higher tax means lower tips for drivers. More riders taking other transportation is bad for drivers.
Most of the riders I have talked to about the tax have said the higher cost won’t make them switch to pool. If a person takes uber to work every morning they probably don’t care about the extra 10 or 11 bucks it will cost them a week

From a driver standpoint pools really mean less money for the driver on uber as you paid about $3 an hour less for pools, yes you get more for additional pickups but it generally won’t cover the lower payment for time

I rarely accept pools unless they are really short and I stop requests immediately as the next one added could be going anywhere. On lyft I don’t accept at all as I can’t keep them from adding passengers.

I’m sure a lot of drivers do the same. If so it will do very little to ease congestion. If we accept pools we make less. If the cities plan comes to fruition then I’ll just have a higher decline and cancellation rate.

What the city doesn’t understand is that if drivers don’t accept pools it won’t ease congestion but it may help them raise more money because riders cut back on ordering pool rides because they can’t get anyone to pick them up