Uber Drivers Forum banner

Cheapest Gas

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Atom guy 
#1 · (Edited)
For most of us, gas is one of the biggest, if not the biggest expense. Uber's Fuel Rewards card is supposed to help driver/partners. However, Uber only guarantees a 1-1/2% discount. A bigger problem is that it must be used a a credit card, not a debit card, which would allow the cash discount available at many of the cheapest gas stations.

I have tried Uber's Fuel Rewards card for several months and can say it works as advertised. However, there are several ways to get a larger discount.

1. Use the GasBuddy App to find the cheapest gas station in your region. I have seen over a $1 per gallon variation in price at stations one block from each other.

2. Enroll in the Cumberland Farms SmartPay rewards program, which offers a 10 cent (over 4% discount at current prices) discount. I have found that the cheapest gas in my region is available this way.

3. Use a credit card that offers a better discount (2% to 3%) at gas stations that offer the same price for cash or credit. NerdWallet offers comparisons as does comparecards.com/gas

4. Be wary of "No name" gas stations. There is no way of knowing the source of the gasoline. These stations often buy from the cheapest supplier. The quality may vary from day-to-day.

Please reply with your own methods of getting the best quality gas at the lowest price.

Disclaimer: I do not receive any kind of compensation and I am not associated with any of the companies (other then Uber) mentioned above.

See less See more
#3 ·
I make sure to buy gas at a place that charges the same for cash or credit. The lowest price gas varies over time as different stations get deals, so you have to shop around. GasBuddy is great for that. I use the Uber gas card for simplicity. They deduct it from my earnings so there is no other credit card to worry about. Of course, when they have some sort of system error and don't deduct my gas charges for 3 weeks, then hit me for $195 in one day, that's no fun. Ahh, Uber. They can't get charging you for gas correctly, but I'm sure the autonomous tech and fly cars will work perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.