Cheap ungrateful passenger

jes2176

Last nite picked up 2 guys in DC. Took them to Arlington va. Turns out one of them left his wallet in the car. Was already at dca with a passenger in my car. The pax who left his wallet wanted me to read off a credit card # so he could order food. I was driving and explained this to him. Told him I'd call after dropping current pax off.

It was 12:30 and I was about 30 min away from them. Called pax and arranged to drop wallet off to him next day. Met him at his work place. Do you think he even thought of a tip for my trouble getting what he left in my car??? Hell no! A quick thanks and away he went.

Just kinda pissed me off that they just said thanks. What's proper uber protocol for articles left in car? Take it to uber office in forrestville and pax can pick up from there?

ChortlingCrison

Last nite picked up 2 guys in DC. Took them to Arlington va. Turns out one of them left his wallet in the car. Was already at dca with a passenger in my car. The pax who left his wallet wanted me to read off a credit card # so he could order food. I was driving and explained this to him. Told him I'd call after dropping current pax off.

It was 12:30 and I was about 30 min away from them. Called pax and arranged to drop wallet off to him next day. Met him at his work place. Do you think he even thought of a tip for my trouble getting what he left in my car??? Hell no! A quick thanks and away he went.

Just kinda pissed me off that they just said thanks. What's proper uber protocol for articles left in car? Take it to uber office in forrestville and pax can pick up from there?
In that case keep it. You could just say that you never saw it, and perhaps another pax took it. It's as simple as that. Pax are responsible for their own belongings. Drivers are only responsible for getting a pax from point a to point b.

Disgusted Driver

Sounds like a throw it in a mailbox situation to me! Whenever I get a forgot something in the car, I always tell them I'll have to stop and check the back seat and get a read on them and the situation. This way if they are rude about it I can tell them I haven't found it when I call them back.

murdoch

What do you expect from someone that calls a complete stranger and asks you to give him his own credit card number? He obviously expected you to tip yourself with whatever he had in his wallet.

Uber does have a policy, but you'll have to look it up. It may be better for you to search these forums for other posts about pax leaving stuff in cars. You'll find some good advice, such as throwing it out the window.

CantThrowCantCatch

Dropped somebody off in Old Town Alexandria today. Took a break, went to get gas and food. As soon as I turn my app back on after that break and accept a ping I get a call from my last pax. He said "I left my keys in your car". I check and find the keys, Im still in Old Town 3 blocks away. He said meet him at his dropoff location. I go the 3 blocks and wait a couple mins. He pops up, get his keys and hands me $40.

Got lucky to be so close to pax. Would've returned the keys even if I would've ended up in DC somewhere.

Taxi Driver in Arizona

"What wallet? I don't see any wallet in my car, sir."

Roll down window, out goes wallet. Problem solved.

UberSaur

No good deed goes unpunished. You should have gotten $20.00 minimum for your trouble. Majority of human nature is rottten.

Uberest

U did the right thing. Had a case of leave-behind keys a couple weeks ago, drove 20 miles to return them. A tip? Nope, nada

Another Uber Driver

What's proper uber protocol for articles left in car? Take it to uber office in forrestville and pax can pick up from there?
It would certainly be appropriate punishment for the owner to go all the way out there to retrieve a wallet. Still, I do not think that Uber renders a receipt. Given how Uber does business, if someone there loses the wallet, everyone will deny that you handed in the wallet.

The smartest thing to do is to take it to the Police. The police will give you a receipt. That way, your posterior is covered.

I'm pretty sure he has me on ignore. He doesn't like cab drivers.
That guy has not put up anything on these Boards since January. Still, you are correct; he hates cab drivers.

New2This

Had a girl leave wallet in car earlier this week, last ride of the evening. She called & I said I'd bring it out to her. This was how I handled not getting stiffed. A nice crisp $20...

2016-07-09 01.05.21.png
2016-07-09 01.04.00.png

DCRadioGuy77

Next time, mail their crap by third class mail to Forestville. Pax don't deserve your good will.
Seriously?!?

To the OP, you did the right thing. To people like UberSaur and the others who suggested throwing the wallet out the window? Come on...is there no human decency anymore?

Another Uber Driver

is there no human decency anymore?
Do keep in mind that it works both ways. There is nothing humanly decent about a careless Uber user who thinks that while his time is worth a pile of money, yours is worth nothing.

That stated, I would not toss the wallet, telephone, brief case or whatever. I will, however, take it to the Police or Taxicab Commission, who will render unto me a receipt for it so that my posterior is covered.

Another Uber Driver

Y'all are terrible people. lol Found a wallet once with about $100 in it, returned it. Didn't ever think about taking the money.

I have found wallets with cash in them, and other things. I leave the cash and the other stuff, take the wallet to the Police or Taxicab Commission, receive my receipt and go on my way. If the passenger contacts me, I direct him to the Police or Taxicab Commission.

UberSaur

Seriously?!?

To the OP, you did the right thing. To people like UberSaur and the others who suggested throwing the wallet out the window? Come on...is there no human decency anymore?
Did you not read the stories on here about drivers driving 20 miles to return said valuables to pax, not to get so much as a dime's reward? $20.00 is an absolute bargain to get your stuff back but pax don't see it that way, because they are for the most part entitled bottom feeders. Like someone else said life DOES work both ways. The UberSaur would at least try to get their crap back to them (only if requested) but without the implicit, expressed guarantee of a reward, 3rd class mail to Forestville is already a stretch and an undeserved gift to the pax. I too learned my lesson in presuming the best from humanity.

Last edited: