Cheap ass people

chitownXdriver

I went to get a haircut at this place in Lombard called $5 haircuts, it is what it says it is, $5 for a base haircut so there was a lady in front of me in line with her 5 year old daughter, the little girl gets her hair cut first, then they lady gets her haircut and styled, she got charged $10 for the cut and style, then she asked the stylist how much tip she expects so the stylist tells her $3 for every $5 (total charge was $15 minus tip, $10 for her and $5 for the child,) she ends up handing her a $20 and saying keep the change! In the meantime I sat in the chair and saw the stylist from the mirror and shook my head and the stylist just put her hands up and rolled her eyes as if saying what can I say? The lady must have seen that because she gave her daughter two more dollars to put on the counter, I could imagine what the stylist was thinking because I was burning up inside and wanted to say beeatch you should give her at least $30 and that'll still be about half the price you would pay anywhere else. When she left I saw her getting into her Lexus GX470 (A $52000 vehicle) and take off, how freaking cheap can someone be that they are nickel and diming someone over a few dollars when they could afford to live so lavishly?! Her and her child were also wearing branded expensive cloths and she was carrying a Versace bag, if she ever had to take an Uber or Lyft to the airport or something there is absolutely no chance she'd tip, she was from the country that starts with I and ends with A, cheap beeatch had my blood boiling at that point. I apologize for the rant but I had to get it out.

Koolbreze

I went to get a haircut at this place in Lombard called $5 haircuts, it is what it says it is, $5 for a base haircut so there was a lady in front of me in line with her 5 year old daughter, the little girl gets her hair cut first, then they lady gets her haircut and styled, she got charged $10 for the cut and style, then she asked the stylist how much tip she expects so the stylist tells her $3 for every $5 (total charge was $15 minus tip, $10 for her and $5 for the child,) she ends up handing her a $20 and saying keep the change! In the meantime I sat in the chair and saw the stylist from the mirror and shook my head and the stylist just put her hands up and rolled her eyes as if saying what can I say? The lady must have seen that because she gave her daughter two more dollars to put on the counter, I could imagine what the stylist was thinking because I was burning up inside and wanted to say beeatch you should give her at least $30 and that'll still be about half the price you would pay anywhere else. When she left I saw her getting into her Lexus GX470 (A $52000 vehicle) and take off, how freaking cheap can someone be that they are nickel and diming someone over a few dollars when they could afford to live so lavishly?! Her and her child were also wearing branded expensive cloths and she was carrying a Versace bag, if she ever had to take an Uber or Lyft to the airport or something there is absolutely no chance she'd tip, she was from the country that starts with I and ends with A, cheap beeatch had my blood boiling at that point. I apologize for the rant but I had to get it out.
Get over it....mind your own business.

cumonohito

$7 tip on a $15 bill its just under 50%, that is a lot, I will figure given the $20 and keep the change is more than enough. Even the suggested $3 for $5 service is still a lot in my opinion. Back in the days when I had hair (15+ years back)I used to go to Borics and Great Clips, $8 cut no wash. Gave $10 and keep the change. Was I considered cheap?

I wonder how many go to eat at this ethnicity restaurant and don't tip at all?

Nu1

This is a very sensitive subject and you have to understand that some cultures are not as pro tipping as here. Most of them learn here about tipping and they never fully understand that. There are plenty of americans that dont tip so why point to a race here?!? There are different reasons somebody don’t tip so don’t guess only that people are cheap.
Of course I want everybody to tip 60% ( like the hair stylist suggested) but thats impossible. I would say the 20$ was to the low side but appropriate for the service. When I go to the hair cuttery I give 13$ on a 10$ charge for about 7 min on the seat...... much less then 60% ( actually half)..... am I that cheap? I wish I get 20% tip from everyone, even 10%!!!!! And that lady with the lexus gave 33.33% first and then added to almost 50%. All the dollars are percentage in the end so in my book she was very generous.

Nu1

$7 tip on a $15 bill its just under 50%, that is a lot, I will figure given the $20 and keep the change is more than enough. Even the suggested $3 for $5 service is still a lot in my opinion. Back in the days when I had hair (15+ years back)I used to go to Borics and Great Clips, $8 cut no wash. Gave $10 and keep the change. Was I considered cheap?

I wonder how many go to eat at this ethnicity restaurant and don't tip at all?
I like the part about the restaurants.... americans actually dont tip there because there is no waiter/waitress to bring the food. From now on we should tip 60% when we eat at indian restaurants, I have to say it is the best food out-there.

observer

Nothing to do with WHITE... Did I mention white? I was only talking about Indian. From my experience, Mexican are generally better tipper than white too.
Maybe you are lucky . Maybe they like you. Maybe it’s your personality . I’m not saying I don’t believe that it’s your experience . Possible . But..... I mean ask a server in restaraunt.. ask a dealer in dealership .. and most Uber drivers ... I mean we were just yesterday toalking in ohare lot about it.. drivers hate the fact that they don’t tip. I personally gave up on them. I used to bring they’re luggage . Help them out. Not anymore . Nothing is good enough for them. I will still talk nicely to them , don’t get me wrong. But nothing extra. And yes , I have been tipped a couple times by older Indian people , but that was purely because they have been in Soviet Union and shared some memories with me and felt good ... and even those tips weren’t really big .. 3-5$ on 40-50 dollar rides.i used to work in dealership - after 3 months I learned my lesson - somebody walked in Indian, or some cases Jewish or Korean ( they prefer only Korean salespeople ) - I don’t even waste my time . I would take a brake . I’m not wasting 9 hours till 11 pm in dealership negotiating a 25,000$ new car for 18,000 with added extras and different rims, only to find out they never liked that car in the first place .

From my experience the same . Mexican people tip well . Or atleast , if they don’t make much , will still tip as much as they can .
I'm Mexican and I find this interesting because in Mexico (at least the part I frequent) tipping isn't a big thing. It's actually frowned upon in a lot of instances and where used is ten percent OR LESS. Tips are generally given only in restaurants that are for special occasions.

I think tipping is an American cultural custom. Maybe Mexicans in the US tip to show they "have arrived".

In my family I can remember tipping in US restaurants 45 years ago but only like I said, special occasion restaurants and then, it was ten per cent. Now tips are expected at a lot of restaurants that people eat at daily.

Tipping has become a way for businesses to pass on employment costs to consumers.

If you charge 5 dollars for a hair cut and expect a 3 dollar tip, just charge 8 bux in the first place. Why complicate things?

Prius13

Tipping is actually a foreign concept to my Flip motherland. I don't tip when am home. I do when on American soil, Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.

chitownXdriver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is why I love the feature in Lyft where you can figure out who tipped how much and then rate them, it is a great feature if not misused, if the ride went well but no tip then automatic 4 star.

I'm Mexican and I find this interesting because in Mexico (at least the part I frequent) tipping isn't a big thing. It's actually frowned upon in a lot of instances and where used is ten percent OR LESS. Tips are generally given only in restaurants that are for special occasions.

I think tipping is an American cultural custom. Maybe Mexicans in the US tip to show they "have arrived".

In my family I can remember tipping in US restaurants 45 years ago but only like I said, special occasion restaurants and then, it was ten per cent. Now tips are expected at a lot of restaurants that people eat at daily.

Tipping has become a way for businesses to pass on employment costs to consumers.

If you charge 5 dollars for a hair cut and expect a 3 dollar tip, just charge 8 bux in the first place. Why complicate things?
I see what you are saying, I ordered pizza for carryout the other day from Domino's and when I went to pay the cashier told me that before it processes my payment it's going to ask me some questions, it asked me how much I wanted to to tip, I put zero. I'm usually a good tipper, at least 18% if the service is decent but why should I have even tipped in this circumstance? I wasn't served the pizza nor was it delivered to me, just handed over like a transaction at a store, but at the same time when it is expected especially so that after the tip the price comes out to the industry norm BEFORE the tip the service provider should not be short-handed. ($8 for a haircut is still under the industry norm, the service is great for the price and there is a sign that clearly states "I am able to run my business due to your generous tips"

toyota777

I still don’t get why you would paid $30 when your total was $15. That’s double your total! There’s a reason why she went to that cheap hair salon.
Listen she did tip....its not what the hairstylist wanted but at least she got a decent tip.
If you didn’t like what the hairstylist received as a tip, why didn’t you gaver her the rest of the money?
And how much did you tip her? Did you giver at least $15 on $5 haircut?

lmwzwwj

I think the stylist is too greedy. $3 tip over a $5 service? That's 60%!!! 20% tip and above is the norm for good service in most places. I swear I will not tip this stylist

SatMan

I've gotten $5 cuts. Some good, some could have been better. LOL. Still cheaper than anything else around. Still tipped $5 each time. Still saved money.

Bman1974

Nowadays haircuts are $15-20 min w/o tip.

My barber died recently and I am looking for old school who does eyebrows with string. If anybody has a good old school barber. Please post.

UberBeemer

Two things strike me about this. First, it's possible that she was well to do, but got that way by not spending a lot.

Second, her 52k car might have been pre-owned, or even borrowed.

Either way, Kool is right. It's her business. The stylist got the tip she asked for, it sounds like.