Chauffeur's permit required to continue with RideAustin

itsablackmarket

This is the application we must complete - https://austintexas.gov/sites/defau...n/Chauffeur_Permit_application_09-21-2017.pdf

Although I agree with the requirements and support them, how many drivers will they lose because of this? I am concerned. You might think that's a good thing because there will be less drivers to compete with, but that's not how it works. If they lose too many drivers, they may lose their remaining customer base very quickly as well. A lot of drivers will be too lazy to deal with something that is essentially unnecessary, and that will help give Uber/Lyft more driver availability than R|A, and the riders will follow because they'll be getting rides much quicker on U/L than R|A. Why wait 10 minutes when the other app has cars on every corner? I feel like this may be the end of R|A. I will go through the process though.

I wish we had more info/study material for the test.

Also, Alphabet (Google) just invested 1 billion into Lyft. That's going to give Lyft a lot of money for driver incentives and rider promos to win everyone back.

Hangar

Part-time driver here. I've been a driver for RA since last AUG and overall, have enjoyed the experience. I'll probably go ahead with the deactivation and just drive for U/L. Is this a "knee-jerk" reaction due to the recent news?

Hhggh

Yeah I started signing up for RA and decided not to because of the permit. It's both good and bad for drivers. Less competition, but could lead to less demand due to customer inconvenience. Most people who I have talked to were so glad uber was back just because they could never find drivers when trying to use RA/Fasten. A full timer will go through the trouble of getting a permit... part timers.. probably not.

tcc83

I think this is a bad move unless they really think they have an abundance of drivers. How many new customers will they gain from this? Seems like people that are going to be with them for safety issues are already their customers.

Hhggh

I think this is a bad move unless they really think they have an abundance of drivers. How many new customers will they gain from this? Seems like people that are going to be with them for safety issues are already their customers.

I heard the person who runs RA plays some role in Austins government, I dont remember what. Does the permit cost money? Could just be to increase gov. Revenue or maybe they're getting paid off by the background check place.. those things are @@@@ing expensive

TNCMinWage

They are doing it because the TNC cards which required finger print background check are no longer valid once the ruling was changed. So my assumption is that the next "best" thing for drivers to get, which requires finger printing, is a chauffeur's license. While they are no longer obligated to provide this, it was a part of their pledge - and it differentiates them (and I use it to sell around U/L). Getting it's worth an additional 25% per ride for me, and unless someone only drives a few hours a week, I think its a no brainer to invest in getting it done. It's only $27 - that's the additional amount I make on 3 airport rides vs. on U/L.

If it culls some drivers that's fine, I'm sure they are paying close attention to it and there are plenty of new drivers lining up that realize they get paid more fairly on RA vs. the others.

El Gato

Is it only $27? That's just the application...is there a fee for having the fingerprinting done? I remember that being around $60.

TNCMinWage

Is it only $27? That's just the application...is there a fee for having the fingerprinting done? I remember that being around $60.

I remember the whole process cost $27 last time (but could be wrong). I think that if your finger print was done within the last 12 months you don't have to pay again so just the license which is $27. Hopefully I'm not giving out bad info here - there is a number to call to check on the standing of your fingerprint. Haven't called it yet but assume they'll tell me if it's still valid or not. Will report back what I hear.

TNCTopher

$20 for the chauffeur's permit, fingerprinting included. $7 to print out your driving record. For the TNC card it was almost $40.

wilsonz83

$20 for the chauffeur's permit, fingerprinting included. $7 to print out your driving record. For the TNC card it was almost $40.
Nope, fingerprint not included. I just did it, indentogo charged me $34.99, that code only serves as employer code, they can send the result to them directly.

TNCMinWage

Nope, fingerprint not included. I just did it, indentogo charged me $34.99, that code only serves as employer code, they can send the result to them directly.

At one point RA was reimbursing for part of this. I signed up too late so had to cover it. Small investment fee overall. This past week 75% of my RA pax tipped. I'm getting 20 cents per mile average in tips, which means standard fare on RA is roughly $1.20 per mile. Well worth it in my opinion, drivers are silly not to onboard or stay active, unless they are only driving for U/L during heavy surge.

TNCTopher

The rub is that they (R|A) are trying to ensure immediate notification of any convictions, and only the chauffeurs permit will allow that notification. U/L will request updates periodically and the key term there is request.

Anyone that has been fingerprinted stays active in that system for 10 years. You would figure the city could just transfer the information for all active drivers from the one database to the other.

wilsonz83

At one point RA was reimbursing for part of this. I signed up too late so had to cover it. Small investment fee overall. This past week 75% of my RA pax tipped. I'm getting 20 cents per mile average in tips, which means standard fare on RA is roughly $1.20 per mile. Well worth it in my opinion, drivers are silly not to onboard or stay active, unless they are only driving for U/L during heavy surge.
Yeap, it was super easy, I only spent 30 minutes at the office for the permit, prepaid 2 hours parking since I thought it was going to take time. I did spend some money for this permit though, I live in 3 different states in the past 3 years, only the records cost me around $50. R/A activated me 30 minutes after I uploaded my permit. Yes all the passengers are super nice!

Yankee

Yeah I started signing up for RA and decided not to because of the permit. It's both good and bad for drivers. Less competition, but could lead to less demand due to customer inconvenience. Most people who I have talked to were so glad uber was back just because they could never find drivers when trying to use RA/Fasten. A full timer will go through the trouble of getting a permit... part timers.. probably not.

Same thing for me. Part timer, I went down there, and paid for the driver's report ($12), but changed my mind about coming back to take the exam and get the permit. I just walked out and never went back. I'm just sticking with Lyft. I hate losing the 25% but I still make more business (about the same $$$$) than I ever did with Fasten. Why go thru the trouble of getting a chauffer permit?

Recoup

Geez, how much trouble is it to go in and take a 20-question multiple-choice test?
Or is that additional $20 too high an investment for significantly more money day in and day out?
(Hint: if your other TNC takes 20% commission, you'd only have to do $100 of driving to break even. If you're paying 25% commission, your breakeven is $80 of driving; if 28%, then $72 of driving.)

But hey, suit yourself--you're an independent contractor...! :confused:

Bigsk8r

I was put on ice by R|A back in June and not allowed to complete my onboarding. Now that it is done, I am very glad that I have a chauffeurs permit. It will allow me to legally branch out beyond U / L / R|A...

ATX 22

Recoup You better know the city 13-2 ground transportation regulations pretty well.
By the way, it's 50 questions, and you also better know how to use a Mapsco book, too.
And you have to take the test at certain times on certain days. Can't remember the exact details. I am up for renewal of my permit in late February, but no test unless I let it expire.

wilsonz83

Recoup You better know the city 13-2 ground transportation regulations pretty well.
By the way, it's 50 questions, and you also better know how to use a Mapsco book, too.
And you have to take the test at certain times on certain days. Can't remember the exact details. I am up for renewal of my permit in late February, but no test unless I let it expire.
it's only 20 questions. around 5 were about location which you may use the mapsco book. the rest are quite easy. test time is 45 minutes, Monday-Friday before 11:30 am.

Recoup

It's 20 questions, not 50. One sheet of paper, front and back. Multiple choice.

Four or five questions on the City 13.2 regulations. Three or four Mapsco questions. Most of the rest of them are commonsense questions about working with passengers.

It took me 8 minutes to finish. I made a 90%. You only need a 60% to pass, and if by chance you mess up, you get three tries (over three days) ON THE SAME $20 FEE.

People are making such a fuss about this thing. It's really not a big deal.

(I don't know if it's a thing, but the person who graded my test actually showed me which ones I missed, so I would have the correct knowledge. I thought that was a good idea--I had a wrong idea about one question, and it's a situation that comes up now and then, so I appreciated knowing the right way.)

Last edited: