• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Chasing Surge Story

uber_from_the north

Was it still worth it to chase surge nowadays?

So this happened to me the other day, got a drop off close to the surge area so I decided to go offline, burn gas and ran dead kms to chase this surge. Hey it's 2.1x so might as well go there I am close anyway.

IMG_4871.PNG

It only took me less than 7 mins. to get there.

When you're getting close, the surge area narrows as well so I continue driving. When I hit the surge area it drop to 1.5x (still better than nothing)

IMG_4873.PNG

So I park and waited and cherry pick pings (glad I'm now blue) Was getting non surge rides so I declined 3 pings. After a few mins this is what happened.

IMG_4872.PNG

Then few mins. more.

PPPPPPOOOOOFFFFF surge gone!!! Didn't even get any surge rides not even a 1.3!!!

Back in the days where in its not this saturated surge last quite long but now you don't even know if it's worth it to chase surge.

Getting a surge ride needs tons of luck!!!

ME:

giphy.gif

Was it still worth it to chase surge nowadays?

So this happened to me the other day, got a drop off close to the surge area so I decided to go offline, burn gas and ran dead kms to chase this surge. Hey it's 2.1x so might as well go there I am close anyway.

View attachment 379358

It only took me less than 7 mins. to get there.

When you're getting close, the surge area narrows as well so I continue driving. When I hit the surge area it drop to 1.5x (still better than nothing)

View attachment 379360

So I park and waited and cherry pick pings (glad I'm now blue) Was getting non surge rides so I declined 3 pings. After a few mins this is what happened.

View attachment 379359

Then few mins. more.

PPPPPPOOOOOFFFFF surge gone!!! Didn't even get any surge rides not even a 1.3!!!

Back in the days where in its not this saturated surge last quite long but now you don't even know if it's worth it to chase surge.

Getting a surge ride needs tons of luck!!!

ME:

View attachment 379357

Attachments

Exactly. Surge is dead and all that’s left is FAKE SURGE.
2.1😂😂😂. 8.1? Yes & don’t laugh it really used to be a such thing.
With Lyft it would sometimes be 400% & I’ve seen as much as 550% especially on the 4th of July.

Ahhh, the good old days.
And once a tooth fairy gave me $100 dollars
Post automatically merged:

Are you serious? Me earlier

View attachment 379372
Post automatically merged:

Are you serious? Me earlier

View attachment 379372
Your time
Your Gas ⛽
Your Car 🚗
Ain’t Uber great 👍

Attachments

Coachman

With sticky surge now it can make sense to chase it. I chased one the other day and got an $8.25 sticky. It took me about 20 minutes before I ever got a ride to use it.

evad77

In Toronto we only get surge when it snows or the ttc fails and people are trying to get to work. You see the magic 2.1 or 2.5 at other times it’s just ubers way of bringing more ants to the area, don’t chase the number there are no riders.

UbaBrah

Everyone Ubers a little differently, but as a general rule, I never chase a weak surge. You see how it's barely purple on your map? I won't bother going after that. If that area is busy and you're nearby you should get a ping to go there anyway, assuming the surge is even true/accurate. Either way, I'm not wasting gas driving to that little splotch.

Surges like this happen every week in my city. These are the ones I really dig into. I'm there in the thick of it, banging out ride after ride in as short a time frame as possible. It's this or nothing for me, as far as surge chasing goes.

1568475097144.JPEG