• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

"Charlotte Surge" in Asheville??

Solid 5

Just curious.....do you folks in Asheville have the infamous "Charlotte Surge"?......or is it still the multiplier? I know the Triangle uses the "old" surge still. Not sure about the Triad.

mrpjfresh

Still rocking the old multiplier as of last night. Our day is coming, no doubt, but hopefully not before NYE. The Asheville market is always one of the last to see any change in my experience. Lyft has not even been here for their 2 year mark. In terms of market importance, despite being a popular tourist destination, we are surely on the very bottom rung of that ladder... and that's totally fine by me.

The tourist tips here help offset the low rates (69/11 mile/minute) but if the new surge and even worse, the new rate balancing (time increase, mileage decrease) hits, that will surely be it for me with Uber in Asheville even as a part-timer. I will rerun the math, but I already know increased time rates at the expense of mileage (to the degree shown on here around the country) is simply not compatible with driving in this market.

Mr. Yuck

Surge here has been pretty damn odd lately. There was a 5.7 at The Farm in Candler Tuesday morning last week and it went on for 2 hours but none of the am drivers I know got anything.

mrpjfresh

Just wanted to update the thread to keep a record on these forums:

Tuesday, February 26th 2019 - the day Charlotte surge finally spread to Asheville

Mr. Yuck

Last night I dropped one at Ingles by the tunnel and there was a 3.75 centered on Highland. Uber tried to give me a downtown and I xed it, drove just past Kenilworth to get the surge stuck and then accepted a downtown pickup.

It was only a dollar cause I just touched the edge, but it was 30 seconds to do it.

Mr. Yuck

Whatever that is on Pinners Cove has been fluctuating between 1.75 and 15$ since I noticed it at 2 am. I went there offline four times and got right under the number then went somewhere where there were actual pax.

Scored an xtra 15, then 13, then 2 11s. Went back downtown for the first two, then did two from Arden to airport. If I wasn't so tired I'd go back.

I saw a couple of you on Mills Gap. I don't have a clue. Maybe a cell tower malfunctioning?

It's still there now.