Changes to SCV Licence Policy

UberDriverAU

FYI guys,

I just noticed there has been a change to the SCV Licence Policy on the DoT website.

The most important change: you can now register any vehicle capable of carrying 11 or fewer passengers that is less than 8 years of age.

It's also important to note, the requirement for a minimum hourly rate of $60/hour and a minimum hiring of one hour has not changed.

This certainly proves what I've been saying all along: all that's required to make Uber completely legal in WA is a change of policy. There has been no change in the legislation or regulations to make this happen.

The old:
SCV Categories (Old).png

The new:
SCV Categories (New).png

Tracey001

How they gona find out if you charged 60bux an hour if nobody tells them anything? You think uber is gona tell them? You think everybody here is charging $60 a fare?

UberDriverAU

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How they gona find out if you charged 60bux an hour if nobody tells them anything? You think uber is gona tell them? You think everybody here is charging $60 a fare?
It ain't rocket science. A Transport Inspector hops in your car after booking you via the Uber app. They take a screenshot which has your rego, name, and a photo of you on it. After you complete the trip, Uber charges their credit card and sends them a receipt which also has your face on it.

How do you think they nabbed 29 UberX drivers? They handed themselves in after feeling guilty?

vinzvinz92

The government is long aware that the minimum fare rule is not obeyed, but they chose to keep one eye closed to let Uber operate?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...w/news-story/e49fd055346e63175fc12d071de956b5

Uber admitted that they are breaking the law, but that news was from July 2014 and did anything happen??

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...m-fee-rejected-as-dean-nalder-insists/7290394

On the other hand Shofer is trying to play around with the law and claims that those are multiple rides from point A to B, but not a 'trip'?

It's obvious that if every single trip has to be charged
$60 minimum then the vast majority of the public will never use these services.. But there are too much politics, money, power etc that are always out of us drivers' control..

Potsy

The government is long aware that the minimum fare rule is not obeyed, but they chose to keep one eye closed to let Uber operate?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...w/news-story/e49fd055346e63175fc12d071de956b5

Uber admitted that they are breaking the law, but that news was from July 2014 and did anything happen??

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...m-fee-rejected-as-dean-nalder-insists/7290394

On the other hand Shofer is trying to play around with the law and claims that those are multiple rides from point A to B, but not a 'trip'?

$60 minimum then the vast majority of the public will never use these services.. But there are too much politics, money, power etc that are always out of us drivers' control..
Off course, laws only apply to us cattle class and not to the big boys. Before uber started if I had started carrying mums and dads around town for a fee in my private car I would have certainly been busted but now we drive under the uber umbrella its ok when we still have the same laws. Go figure.

UberDriverAU

Lol, Shofer doesn't have a leg to stand on there. They may as well just admit they're breaking their licence condition, and then give Dean Nalder the bird like Uber did.

Guest123

Next step is going to be $1500-3000 fee on omnibus license , no $60 charge , $10,000 fine dollar for operatong hire car /taxi like service without proper license .. redefination of taxi. Redefination of RIDE Sharing . And possibly cameras for SCV .

Guest123

And more powers to transport offices , i-e they can confiscated your electronic equipment if they think you are providing illegal taxi service

UberDriverAU

Which means uber x has to get omnibus license to drive as well.
That's been on the cards since last December when they announced the upcoming reforms. It will be a requirement from the 1st of July.
Next step is going to be $1500-3000 fee on omnibus license , no $60 charge , $10,000 fine dollar for operatong hire car /taxi like service without proper license .. redefination of taxi. Redefination of RIDE Sharing . And possibly cameras for SCV .
And more powers to transport offices , i-e they can confiscated your electronic equipment if they think you are providing illegal taxi service
Time will tell I guess what the requirements will be and what powers officers will have. If they make the licencing fee that high and require cameras, that will be the end of UberX in Perth.

haldriver

Green paper says that all point to point transport vehicles will pay $485 pa administration fees. They will need commercial liability insurance and need to fit fitted with security cameras.
This means Taxis costs will come down and Uber cost will go up.
There will be no limit on the number of operators.
There will be no need to contract yourself to any one Taxi Distribution Service (TDS = Uber, Swan or B&W).
Only Taxis will be eligible for rank and hail work but that will suit Uber as it required the use of the app to get its 20% (25%, 28%...) Uber will claim hardship but if the app and the service is so good then why would anyone walk to a rank or even get that Taxi sitting at the Pub/Club door? Uber passengers don't seem to mind waiting for their Uber to turn up despite the Taxis sitting right in front of them.

The green paper is only a set of proposed laws not the final draft which will apparently happen after industry consultation.
(I personally believe $485 is on the low side considering the need for more DoT staff if operator numbers increase)

It has no mention on how fares will be governed.

The intention is a level playing field for both old and new service providers (Barnett, Nalder and Nahan have all expressed this).
We will all pay the same no matter which service or the number of hours worked.
It will be up to the market who survives.
Who knows how many new TDS will come into the market. Who knows how many more cars will be registered.
Many drivers will become sole owner operators be they Taxis or Uber etc. as entry fees will be greatly reduced (Taxis will not pay $13000 pa).
I have petitioned my local MP to get a requirement for drivers to be resident in Perth for more than a year before being granted a T or F ext.

Shofer are under charging at the moment as are Uber Black. Interesting that Nalder has warned Shofer but not Uber Black.
As UberX is still illegal it is interesting that he should warn Shofer at all whilst not even mentioning the lack of legal status of UBerX .

I think it was Confucius who said "may you live in interesting times''.
July 1st will bring very interesting times.
200 Shofer cars will make life interesting even sooner (only saw one on road last night, same car 3 times but only once with passenger).

Phildo

Web site link: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/taxis/small-charter-vehicle-licences.asp

PDF link: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/taxis/taxis_SmallCharterVehicleLicencePolicy.pdf

There's a glimpse of the future. SCVs are no longer upmarket vehicles - they will be any vehicle less than 8 years old. Awesome, I've got a 527,000km ex-taxi that's been parked out the front for the last 6 months. That's going to become an SCV ASAP and leased out for Uber use.

It would be a safe assumption that all Uber cars will have to be SCVs. Anyone doing UberX right now would want to make that transition NOW - ie that means legit insurance coverage.

Annual inspections are easy enough, I'm doing that all the time with other cars anyway (done two taxis and and a motorbike this month).

Time for me to go buy a bunch of ex-taxis for $1,000 each and set up a fleet of SCVs for Uber use... Just gotta find some secondhand dashboards with 100,000km on them (that's legal to do*)... :biggrin:

Anyone wanna lease a car that's legitimately licenced for Uber use? Lemme know.... :wink:

*It is illegal to wind back an odometer. However, it is completely legal to replace the odometer with one that has less km. One of those interesting legal loopholes.

UberDriverAU

Time for me to go buy a bunch of ex-taxis for $1,000 each and set up a fleet of SCVs for Uber use... Just gotta find some secondhand dashboards with 100,000km on them (that's legal to do*)... :biggrin:
Misleading and deceptive conduct aren't legal though. :wink:

UberDriverAU

Green paper says that all point to point transport vehicles will pay $485 pa administration fees. They will need commercial liability insurance and need to fit fitted with security cameras.
This means Taxis costs will come down and Uber cost will go up.
There will be no limit on the number of operators.
There will be no need to contract yourself to any one Taxi Distribution Service (TDS = Uber, Swan or B&W).
It would be folly to think that anything that's in the green paper is an iron clad guarantee about what will happen, because:
The Green Paper said:
CAUTION: The opinions, comments and/or analysis (including those of third parties) expressed in the Green Paper for On-demand Transport are for discussion purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views of the State of Western Australia, acting through the Department of Transport, or indicate its commitment to a particular course of action. The Green Paper is provided for the purpose of inviting submissions and for public information only. Before relying on any of the material, readers should obtain appropriate professional advice.