Change Petition

AlphaUber

Guys, feeling a little inspired today and was hoping for some feedback on what you guys think. Worth a try? This is a very rough draft.

There is no doubt Uber was innovative and opened up new doors for many of us. It allowed some of us to get to work for an extra early shift and helped others get home safely after a night out in town. It allowed some of us to pay off our credit card debts, while helped others take a vacation. Unfortunately, it has also put some of us in more debt that did not realize until it was too late.

Today, the Driver's feel that the ride rates are too low and should be increased. While, the Rider's feel that taking an Uber is getting more and more expensive. This difference in opinion is because both Driver's and Rider's don't completely how the fare is being divided up.

For example, in the City of Toronto, a Rider that pays $22.26 for an UberX; out of that $2.26 is HST passed onto the Government. Another, $2.75 is Uber's "booking fee". This leaves, $17.25 for the fare, out of which Uber takes 25% ($4.31) as commission. The Driver is paid $12.94. Yes, the Driver's take home is "$12.94" - out of which he or she needs to pay for income taxes, gas and other car expenses. In this example fare, only 58% of the fare makes it to the Driver out of which the Driver still has to take out other expenses. Unfortunately, the Rider is out $22.26.

Government taxes cannot be reduced and should not be because they help fund many things each of us uses on a daily basis. But, what can be changed is Uber's Commission. That is the only way to make the platform sustainable. Uber needs to reduce it's share of the fare to 15% from 25%, give back 5% to the Rider and give the other 5% to the Rider. This will help both Riders and Drivers, while the increased in number of rides should help Uber maintain it's revenue.

This commission cut should occur in all types of Rides. Matched UberPool commission is 30%. Yes, a higher commission on an already reduced fare - the current consequence of this is that Driver's are reluctant to accept Pool Rides and this leads to less efficient service (longer wait times, among other things) for Riders.

Another area Uber needs to improve promptly upon is it's "Investigation" when it comes to Rider or Driver safety. Low Rated Drivers and Low Rated Riders should be banned, there should be more thorough investigation of allegations. Uber needs to help create a safe experience for everyone. This will also increase business for Driver's that provide good service and again benefit the Rider.

The two changes requested benefit both Drivers and Riders, the two major poles of the Platform.
Summary
1. Reduce Commission to Increase Driver Earnings and Decrease Rider End Cost
2. Ban Low Rated Drivers and Riders to create a safe experience for everyone on the platform

dexstar

Ever see those signs on the side of gas pumps? The percent of tax that makes up the price you pay. Higher than you'd think.

Uber is a free market - if you think you should be earning more, you need to look elsewhere.

AlphaUber

Ever see those signs on the side of gas pumps? The percent of tax that makes up the price you pay. Higher than you'd think.

Uber is a free market - if you think you should be earning more, you need to look elsewhere.

Just because one doesn't agree with something, it doesn't mean they should look elsewhere. If those that allow Uber to exist are suffering, Uber should make a change, otherwise sooner or later it won't exist.

dexstar

All I'm saying is don't waste energy on this idea. Sounds great in theory, but there will always be someone who is willing to do something cheaper than you or I.

About the only thing you could go after Uber for is the per-minute fee, assuming that it adds up to less than minimum wage. Hmm. 15c / minute * 0.75 = $6.75/hr. A creative lawyer could have fun with that one.

i_k

It's a good idea and I'd sign it, but Uber would throw that petition in the trash. As much as we would like to, we can't dictate to them how to run their company.

MonkeyTOES

If they increase the rates for riders, they need to decrease the rate of drivers. Increased rates will create less rider demand and because of that, drivers will make less money because of too many drivers on the road.

Darshit

Gimme 5$ an hour after expenses and I'll be happy.Where I should sign up to get 5$ an hour.And please ban all Honda civic drivers, that's the reason pax stoped taking uber.

Last edited:

Lolinator

Look to TTC

dmoney155

What do you think uber runs on?... hopes and dreams? ... who's going to pay for all the tech infrastructure, all the engineers, all the lawsuits, all the bribes to get into cities? The insurance for everyone? ... Just like you say "taxes should not be reduced" uber can say , our cut cannot be reduced. That application that allows you do your driving around, it isn't free. Nor is bureaucracy and politics that allows you actually use the app in a city. Who's going to pay for that? You are not doing uber a favour by driving. Stop feeling entitled. If it becomes unfavorable to drive, just stop driving.

Problem isn't uber fees, or that there's too many cars on the road... problem is people are abusing the platform in search of a quick and easy money. If one sticks to true "ride share", picking up people whenever you actually heading somewhere you would have regardless the losses wouldn't be that much. But no, we all are guilty of being greedy and camp out in our cars in front of popular spots 12 hrs a day just to get as much income as possible in turn over saturating the system. And asking for higher hikes, cap of drivers on the road, treating pax with less and less respect, slowly turning into a taxi, where as taxis learned from their experiences getting more and more of the pie.

Lolinator

What do you think uber runs on?... hopes and dreams? ... who's going to pay for all the tech infrastructure, all the engineers, all the lawsuits, all the bribes to get into cities? The insurance for everyone? ... Just like you say "taxes should not be reduced" uber can say , our cut cannot be reduced. That application that allows you do your driving around, it isn't free. Nor is bureaucracy and politics that allows you actually use the app in a city. Who's going to pay for that? You are not doing uber a favour by driving. Stop feeling entitled. If it becomes unfavorable to drive, just stop driving.

Problem isn't uber fees, or that there's too many cars on the road... problem is people are abusing the platform in search of a quick and easy money. If one sticks to true "ride share", picking up people whenever you actually heading somewhere you would have regardless the losses wouldn't be that much. But no, we all are guilty of being greedy and camp out in our cars in front of popular spots 12 hrs a day just to get as much income as possible in turn over saturating the system. And asking for higher hikes, cap of drivers on the road, treating pax with less and less respect, slowly turning into a taxi, where as taxis learned from their experiences getting more and more of the pie.

UberxGTA

If they increase the rates for riders, they need to decrease the rate of drivers. Increased rates will create less rider demand and because of that, drivers will make less money because of too many drivers on the road.
Uber will only increase fare prices and decrease their expenses, not increase them. Uber's aim is an IPO in 3 years. Everything else will be ignored.
Drivers, especially FT drivers need to find other sources of income.

Actionjax

I applaud your efforts. But let me paint a picture for you.

Uber reduces it's fees and raises rates. But in turn they charge drivers for the insurance they pay for on behalf of all drivers for ride sharing. Then they close up 2 of the 3 green light hubs and if you want support you come downtown. Next they cancel the 1800 driver support line and you go back to the emails.

Its funny how we keep hearing that Uber takes too much now and we are all getting short changes since Uber first started. But you also have way more support than you did when they first started as well.

Last I checked when a Condo adds more services the condo fees go up for anyone. Regardless if they use them or not. So tell me are you ready to reduce your services and start paying your own way for a bigger cut of the pie. Careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

AlphaUber

I don’t feel entitled. I am just thinking of a solution. Years ago when Uber started, it made sense for them to need a big cut when there weren’t that many rides. Today, it’s a different story. I certainly don’t think increasing fares for Riders is a solution, like I mentioned in my post, the Rider is already paying a hefty amount. You have to Understand more than 50% of your Riders are people that didn’t take Taxis, if fares continue to rise, we lose more and more business. I personally would rather so 3 rides in a hour that each earn my $10 vs. only 1 ride that earns me $15 for an hour for the same distance. I certainly don’t think I am entitled to anything but if I am working with a company, I certainly believe we should be able to negotiate terms.
I applaud your efforts. But let me paint a picture for you.

Uber reduces it's fees and raises rates. But in turn they charge drivers for the insurance they pay for on behalf of all drivers for ride sharing. Then they close up 2 of the 3 green light hubs and if you want support you come downtown. Next they cancel the 1800 driver support line and you go back to the emails.

Its funny how we keep hearing that Uber takes too much now and we are all getting short changes since Uber first started. But you also have way more support than you did when they first started as well.

Last I checked when a Condo adds more services the condo fees go up for anyone. Regardless if they use them or not. So tell me are you ready to reduce your services and start paying your own way for a bigger cut of the pie. Careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

I understand that Uber needs the money for Infrastructure, Insurance among other things but I also think today there is enough ride sharing that Uber should be able to fund those at a smaller cut because there are more than enough rides happening. UberPools are already at a reduced fare, Uber takes 30% from those matched fares - completely unworth it from a Driver prespective. I think we all understand that we will come to a point where the Driver earnings will need to increase, and I don’t think increasing fares is the way to go. Secondly, eventhough there is “support”, I personally had fairly inefficient experience with them. Even, with the 1800 Number, they Rep couldn’t mail me out another Decal and told me to go on the website, even though I explained I had already attempted that and waited 3 weeks. Again, others might have a different experience. But, I personally haven’t felt that Uber Support has been at all that helpful. Maybe, things will change.

Again, I understand Uber has other expenses but the current revenue model isn’t the way to go.

deagl344

You guys are forgetting one most important thing.
Uber is an American company.
What is the goal of every American companies?
Thats right.
MAXIMIZING PROFITS
If somebody told you that you can make do with $30 an hour and not $50 you would laugh in their faces.
Just a food for thought

UberSmash79

Guys, feeling a little inspired today and was hoping for some feedback on what you guys think. Worth a try? This is a very rough draft.

There is no doubt Uber was innovative and opened up new doors for many of us. It allowed some of us to get to work for an extra early shift and helped others get home safely after a night out in town. It allowed some of us to pay off our credit card debts, while helped others take a vacation. Unfortunately, it has also put some of us in more debt that did not realize until it was too late.

Today, the Driver's feel that the ride rates are too low and should be increased. While, the Rider's feel that taking an Uber is getting more and more expensive. This difference in opinion is because both Driver's and Rider's don't completely how the fare is being divided up.

For example, in the City of Toronto, a Rider that pays $22.26 for an UberX; out of that $2.26 is HST passed onto the Government. Another, $2.75 is Uber's "booking fee". This leaves, $17.25 for the fare, out of which Uber takes 25% ($4.31) as commission. The Driver is paid $12.94. Yes, the Driver's take home is "$12.94" - out of which he or she needs to pay for income taxes, gas and other car expenses. In this example fare, only 58% of the fare makes it to the Driver out of which the Driver still has to take out other expenses. Unfortunately, the Rider is out $22.26.

Government taxes cannot be reduced and should not be because they help fund many things each of us uses on a daily basis. But, what can be changed is Uber's Commission. That is the only way to make the platform sustainable. Uber needs to reduce it's share of the fare to 15% from 25%, give back 5% to the Rider and give the other 5% to the Rider. This will help both Riders and Drivers, while the increased in number of rides should help Uber maintain it's revenue.

This commission cut should occur in all types of Rides. Matched UberPool commission is 30%. Yes, a higher commission on an already reduced fare - the current consequence of this is that Driver's are reluctant to accept Pool Rides and this leads to less efficient service (longer wait times, among other things) for Riders.

Another area Uber needs to improve promptly upon is it's "Investigation" when it comes to Rider or Driver safety. Low Rated Drivers and Low Rated Riders should be banned, there should be more thorough investigation of allegations. Uber needs to help create a safe experience for everyone. This will also increase business for Driver's that provide good service and again benefit the Rider.

The two changes requested benefit both Drivers and Riders, the two major poles of the Platform.
Summary
1. Reduce Commission to Increase Driver Earnings and Decrease Rider End Cost
2. Ban Low Rated Drivers and Riders to create a safe experience for everyone on the platform

I respect the fact you're thinking on both sides, for the riders and drivers. It's something I'd support whole heartedly.

The sad reality is this... Uber lost almost 3 billion dollars in 2016 and over 1.3 billion so far in 2017. Reducing their cut does not seem business feasible at this point. Raising rates seems to be the direction they will go and it won't surprise me at all if they actually increase their cut in the process.

dmoney155

Ok AlphaUber, maybe entitled was too strong of a word. What I'm trying to say, they got think tank that monitors the supply and demand, they don't need driver's input or petitions... they go by how many drivers sign up and by how many keep driving. They have all the data they need. What I seen last night in those fake surges only proves that people are more than willing to drive/ sit in their cars ready to drive for pennies.
They won't adjust anything until they see those numbers shift out of their favour. I know I wouldn't if i see business coming in, and drivers willing to drive at current rates. If anything yes, I would increase own profit to see how much I can get away with before things start changing. Like deagl344 said, it's all about generating profits. No one really cares about the people doing work for you on a personal level anywhere. So long they can keep you coming back for more, they will continue in their ways.

Best impact you or anyone can do is realize driving is getting less and less profitable and drive less and less. Don't expect "great money" from driving car around. What happen before was a fluke because it was all new and all the craze. Uber is equivalent to a pet rock, or pokeman craze. When I heard people were making in excess of $50/hr driving around I thought it was unreal. Driven to insane rates by nothing more than emotion. Once the craze is over, levels come back to their norms.

Judgeetox

Hell, I'd just be happy if Uber ate the HST...gave the 13% charged to the driver (who pays income taxes) and absorbed the cost.

...since you already know they pay $0 in tax of any kind to Canada Revenue on their own behalf. It's one of the only companies that operate in Canada while completely skirting corporate taxes, and it's most certainly the largest company that is getting away with it without penalty.